Installing 3rd Party Modpacks

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
B

BlazingArdor

Title:
Installing 3rd Party Modpacks
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
N/A
Modpack Version:
N/A
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Hey guys,

Sort of a newbie at this, so if any of this sounds kind of obvious, forgive my ignorance.

So I have used FTB in the past, and when I want to play a specific modpack, I usually just select one from the FTB MODPACKS or 3RD PARTY PACKS. However today, I would like to install an unlisted, 3rd party modpack. Specifically, this one in particular:

http://ftbwiki.org/The_Dark_Trilogy

After clicking the Website category, I was led to this link for a description of the modpack: http://forum.feed-th...lic-beta.51854/

There are three things that are frustrating me about this:
- There are no installtion instructions
- There is no download link
- I cannot seem to find a way to add a custom modpack to the FTB launcher

Granted, the first two could be a rule for the aforementioned site's forums. As far as the download, I googled for it and found this, hopefully it is correct (if not, please correct me): http://www.curse.com...rilogy-reloaded

However, I ask these questions:
- Is there a way to search for these 3rd party packs within the FTB launcher itself? I tried changing the filters in the 3RD PARTY PACKS tab, but to no avail
- Is there a way to "import" downloaded modpacks into FTB?
- I have read up on some things, and have seen suggestions to use Pack Codes. Does FTB have a central repository of these codes? Hours of Google searching did not yield any results (for this modpack at least)
- It's been awhile, but in the past I remember that server .jars and client .jars were separate, and thus required separte downloads. I know how to host vanilla and Bukkit servers, but my question is how do I go about hosting FTB servers? Are the steps the same for each modpack, or do they vary? Do they share the same .jar files now?
- How would I go about installing modpacks downloaded from the aforementioned link locally? The .zip seems to be missing core minecraft files (minecraft .jar files missing were a dead giveaway)

I'm very adept with computers and servers in general, so feel free to be as technical as you can. The last time I hosted a custom FTB server was years ago, and it seems to me that the process has drastically changed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
There are three things that are frustrating me about this:
- There are no installtion instructions
- There is no download link
Did you leave feedback into pack's thread?

- I have read up on some things, and have seen suggestions to use Pack Codes. Does FTB have a central repository of these codes? Hours of Google searching did not yield any results (for this modpack at least)
Retired listed packs are listed in http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-curse-pack-updates-third-party-packs.130129/

B

BlazingArdor

Packs are getting removed from the public list all the time. Check the News, Wiki or the Public Third Party Pack Codes Listing for instance.
And you enter the Codes in the FTB Launcher, they appear under 3rd Party Packs, easy as pie.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to bookmark that. So seeing as how the modpack I would like to install isn't listed there, are the modpacks that are listed there, are the only ones with these Pack Codes? Also, if a mod doesn't have a pack code, what are the steps to installing it manually?

B

BlazingArdor

Did you leave feedback into pack's thread?

Retired listed packs are listed in http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-curse-pack-updates-third-party-packs.130129/

Thanks for that link, I was able to find the modpack code I was looking for :). As to leaving feedback, I have not done this yet, but I did assume since so many people have downlaoded and played that, it became common knowledge to know how to do those things. Unfortunately, finding tutorials for setting up custom FTB servers have been troublesome. I will leave feedback on that thread though however, if I can confirm there isn't a defined generalized guideline somewhere explaing how to do what I'm attempting.

B

BlazingArdor

So that takes care of the client side. As for the server side, is it a simple copy and paste the modpack contents into the server directory? The last time I hosted a modded server was when you actually had to add files to the minecraft.jar with 7-Zip or another tool, but it looks like FTB loads mods completely differently now.

B

BlazingArdor

Actually, I found the "Download Server" button in FTB, silly me. Thanks for the information guys :)