Insertion Pipe Placeholder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

japgman

Jul 29, 2019
Well I have found a placeholder for an insertion pipe for now if anyone needed a design. Not sure if there are similar builds.

Attachments

• 2012-11-27_19.29.02.png
    477.4 KB · Views: 132

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
A bit overcomplicated. Recent pipe change makes them not drop items until they have exhausted possible routes.

2012-11-27_204307.png

This loop design should be adaptable any need. Items entering the T-junction will choose a path randomly so insertion pipes would still be useful. To avoid having a glut of items in transit use gates and pipe wire to only send when the target inventory has room.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
A-OK in SSP play. Do it extensively enough on a server that isn't yours personally and the admin may want to have a talk with you, though.

Also be mindful that if at any point in the sequence you get 100+ items in a single pipe segment (unlikely in most scenarios but still possible) that you'll get a nice pipe explosion for your efforts. This largely applies to quarry-sorting systems that don't outright void the cobble and other irregular high-volume applications.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
honestly, even with (another mod pack of questionable caliber) I would have a small discussion with users who use loops in their pipe systems (of course, we also had RP2.... soon, I know). The lag/server load created is insane... and that's with only one person; imagine 5 - 10 people with a couple of these going.... I don't have a hosting plan that can support that load (and I'm not paying extra to do so).

With gates and the changes to BC pipe, that's almost unnecessary. With logistics pipes, you just need a valid default destination (playing with the 'unofficial' release, fingers crossed for Krapht's). With RedPower2... this is all moot.

I just wish there was a better tutorial on gates on the BC wiki. I might make one, but I'm flailing blindly on most of the stuff with them (I still see strange things happen with some of my systems... not sure if the gates are working right or I'm just an idiot... I'm mixing those two answers).

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
A-OK in SSP play. Do it extensively enough on a server that isn't yours personally and the admin may want to have a talk with you, though.

Also be mindful that if at any point in the sequence you get 100+ items in a single pipe segment (unlikely in most scenarios but still possible) that you'll get a nice pipe explosion for your efforts. This largely applies to quarry-sorting systems that don't outright void the cobble and other irregular high-volume applications.
I can definitely attest to having major lag with many items in a pipe on a small server my friend had hosted on his own home server. I've never seen it explode though with all those items, even when we finally jumped to an official server host. Can't wait for Logistics Pipes to be released.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I can definitely attest to having major lag with many items in a pipe on a small server my friend had hosted on his own home server. I've never seen it explode though with all those items, even when we finally jumped to an official server host. Can't wait for Logistics Pipes to be released.

Really? I did not experience this and got WAY into the explosion realm. ( Note: The explosions don't do any damage to blocks/items. Just knock you back and probably do damage. I was in gravisuit + quantum though. )

I had in excess of 200 stacks stuck in a loop. I actually thought it was just a normal overflow of 10 or so. It had actually combined them into stacks. If I emptied the recycler a full stack was placed in at a time.

I hosted all of this on my PC that was also running the game and didn't have lag from this. Like I said, I actually didn't know there was a problem until I had removed about 15 stacks and it showed no sign of having changed, lol.

For future reference, I plan to use a diamond pipe to insert into recyclers, with a void pipe attached. Set the output to the void pipe to something like a quantum helmet ( IE something that will never be in the pipe ), then stuff that can't go into the recycler is forced into the void pipe. No loop, no chance for lag. If you were recycling it, you probably didn't care about it anyways:)