Infinity vs Resurrection

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Sorry if this comes as an obvious question, but I'm bad at comparing stuff.

Apart from the very obvious GregTech ... what's the main difference between Infinity and Resurrection?

They both look to me as 2 very jam-packed modpacks, and can't decide between the two for our next server reset.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Before this devoles into the inevitable GT hate-fest, I'll say this: the biggest difference between a pack with GT and a pack without GT is pace and flexibility. GT has defined Ages of tech, and thus resources that can be processed and used. This requires a different overall strategy than a Kitchen Sink pack like Infinity. Some people love it. Some hate it. A lot of both like to argue with one another over their different opinions.

A Kitchen Sink pack like Infinity allows you to jump into and out of any mod in the pack whenever you want (resources willing, of course). Infinity in particular has a number of mods that Resurrection does not, giving it a wider range of cross mod interaction. Mods like EnderIO, Draconic Evolution, Funky Locomotion, and more allow much greater flexibility in builds that doesn't exist (or at least is much more difficult to accomplish) in Resurrection.

Resurrection shines in bringing material management and smart design to the forefront. Because resources are a challenge, a player must consider if the investment being made will be worth it in the long-term, even when considering simple things like wiring choices in the early game. The pace is slower, more methodical, and occasionally you might have to walk a good while to find a resource in need until you can invest in higher tech that might be able to produce that material by processing another ore. Once things get moving, I feel the rest of the pack opens up a bit as there are a few ways to skirt around GT with the other mods. Once I got into it and figured out the pace and basic GT mechanics, I had no problems playing in that sandbox. My friends couldn't get out of the bronze age without swearing obscenities at all that is GT, so now we have an Infinity server. To each their own.

Infinity is a different beast. This pack is recess. There are few rules, and fewer laws. Jumping balls deep into a mod and then abandoning it to go do something else isnt a death sentence here. Using one mod to prop up your entry into other mods is good form here. There are a hundred ways to accomplish a task here; feel free to pick more than one. Where Resurrection is a test of patience and management, Infinity embraces imagination without (or with few) consequences. Again, to each their own.

Moral of the story, try them both and see what you like. The world has opinions. Only yours counts for your happiness.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
No I don't intend this to become GT hatefest don't worry. It's just the most obvious difference that I could see.

Interesting that RotaryCraft isn't on the Infinity roster.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I know its not your intent, but its usually where these threads end up (from my reading). People see Infinity vs Resurrection and immediately think GT vs Non-GT. My hope is that the community can keep their heads for at least a page.

I loved RotaryCraft in Monster. I would very much enjoy it again if it were to appear in Infinity, although I seem to remember reading somewhere that mod lists for packs were not going to add/drop mods on the fly as much any more, for sake of stability when upgrading existing worlds... then again, I may be crazy.

Going back to the original idea behind the thread, may I ask what your last server was? Did your group like the experience? Are you looking for similar play, or a change of pace?

Last edited:

StealthCommando

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if this comes as an obvious question, but I'm bad at comparing stuff.

Apart from the very obvious GregTech ... what's the main difference between Infinity and Resurrection?

They both look to me as 2 very jam-packed modpacks, and can't decide between the two for our next server reset.

Well if you want a server you might wanna go for infinity . Iti is overall easier and a lot more fun for a lot of people ! And Resurrection is not a very jam packed pack . It has around 70 mods or so... It is just poorly optimized and that's why it is resource heavy . Most people hate ressurection because they wanted it to be an ultimate for 1.7.10 but that is not possible . All of the mods have changed so much and many are not supported anymore .

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Yeah think it'll be Infinity, with RotaryCraft and Galacticraft thrown in.

Thanks for your feedback. All much appreciated :D

Reactions: Padfoote

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not an expert on mods, but with Infinity modpack I have mass quantities of most raw materials after one week of play. With GregTech it takes at least a full month if not more.

Quite honestly, I think its too easy to collect "all the good stuff" in Infinity and too difficult to do it in a GregTech modpack. But I think most people would greatly prefer the former over the latter.

I do like your decision to add RoC and Galacticraft, because the modpack might need a bit more "oomph". I think I might be feeling a bit (dare I say it) bored with Infinity before too much longer. I've already done bees and trees too many times, and I'm not really much into the magic mods like Thaumcraft or Witchery. But I will say this - it seems to be a very solid modpack with no "issues" other than the bug with the dungeons that cropped up in 1.0.2 (and is hopefully fixed in 1.2.0? We'll see...).

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
FWIW, Infitech2 already has Galacticraft.

And, it's balanced around GT. There are also plenty of mods and ways to do things, but all mods are modified to proceed at the pace of GT, which means worlds tend to last a lot longer.

Athyrio

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is a bit challenging. I have spoken with several server admins and yet Infinity is harsher on the server than Resurrection. I know that at the FTB preferred host Creeperhost, that there seems to be a number of issues with Infinity, and most folks want to also run 1-4 plugins and getting Cauldron to co-exist is a challenge. I know that on my Resurrection server it took me a long time to get it balanced for just the small number that I have. Seems that Resurrection runs well with under 2000 chucks loaded, but go above that and with GT in the latest recommended 1.0 build that it just lags out. I never have seen the system use more than 70% memory, 20-25% CPU and the tps gets progressively worse. If you have folks spread out it is not hard to exceed 2K chucks.

It was supposed to have more updates, in a Reddit AMA in December we were supposed to see 1.01 in December and every 3 weeks or so... Now 1.01 is out but the mod pack author is suggesting that he is not sure... Seems that at least Infinity the mod author is doing updates as there is a 1.01, 1.02 and then 1.10 or 1.03 is now out, just not recommended...

Would like to hear from anyone with experience running a Infinity server... how resource intensive is it?

Lastly someone said Resurrection had only 70, I connect with 108 mods. I do have opis and mobis as a server admin, so 106>70 by quite a bit.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I'm hosting on FragNet, and they have extremely solid servers.

190 mods, and TPS is at 18ms.

shreds

Jul 29, 2019
As a scientist, I have a boner for so much that is in GT... But oh Greg, you make it so hard to love you

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
My friends couldn't get out of the bronze age without swearing obscenities at all that is GT
I don't think anyone can. I've called bullshit at quite a few features of GT that just weren't intuitive at all or just plain annoyingly complex, but I've now played it enough to realize how rewarding it is to actually get through it. I got as far as trying to make medium voltage machines but then got stuck again by the amount of materials were needed :p

Haven't played GT for a while now, but I'll definitely return one day. Maybe Resurrection is the pack to go for this time. Or maybe some other pack that is more themed around GT. I still remember the "custom multiblock" macerator & smelters I made with buildcraft and GT, and pimped with chisel blocks. That was really cool!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
On our server of 8-10 friends, I was the only one to make it out of the bronze age before the group at large decided to give up and drop Resurrection in favor of Infinity. My trick was using a heavy dose of Thaumcraft. Particularly the transmutation of metal to metal (thank god for my mana bean farm) via TC allowed me to use junk metals to get what I actually needed at the time.

We are just booting up the new Infinity server, and I mist admit that I'm excit

Athyrio

Jul 29, 2019
Hey you want a EASY clue how up to 2048v power.... Advanced Generators... I did only GT to 512v... but with AG you can easily get from 32v to 8192v easily...

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity vs Ressurection is really all about Non-GT vs GT.

GT is a mod that you either love it or hate it, hard to be standing in the middle with this.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Also something to consider, is it seems Res. might be done because of GT6 changes. We will see if FTB decides it is worth it to upgrade.

Reactions: BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Also something to consider, is it seems Res. might be done because of GT6 changes. We will see if FTB decides it is worth it to upgrade.
I think if the GT configs were modified to be more like they were in Ultimate then this pack would be a lot more fun to play, some people enjoy the challenge though, something like the Resonant Rise guys did with their pack, having two options when downloading the pack, one for GT hard configs, and one for GT on easier mode would be amazing. I enjoyed GT a lot in Ultimate but in Ressurection I feel like it is too focused around GT, but people all have their preferences.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Using the "hard to find ores" config on a multiplayer server may also cause some issues.

Unless you want to set up some kind of server economy? I dunno...