Infinite AE2 channels via subnetworks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dzarky

Jul 29, 2019
All you have to do to get more channels is to add a subnetwork. You can just keep adding subnetworks to get infinite channels. Is this right?

Update: sorry just see plenty of discussions threads where people create some ridicilously complex solutions to "not enough" channels problem, when all you need to do is to connect a storage bus from one network to an interface from another.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
That isn't quite true. You can pretty much make your storage infinite via the use of an interface and storage bus back to the core network. But subnetworks can't use AE crafting system. All of the crafting must be done on the primary core network. That being said you can aid the channel limits by creating a carrier network and use p2p on the carrier network to extent channels out. In essence the p2p tunnel uses only 2 channels on the carrier network but will contain 32 channels from the core network.

Personally I do the near infinite storage using the storage bus and interface trick. But I really don't bother with the p2p tunnels that much. Just never really found a need to have the level of complexity for my builds.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I've used subnetworks extensively in my base for storage, i've also used P2P extensively.

This is often referred to as a Soaryn drive, i suspect that's the guy who often appears on DireWorlf20's videos, he does a lot
of things with AE2.

It all works, though too many P2P routes can make things messy if you need to do any mainteanance.

I am redesigning my base to be a lot simpler however.

There's a YouTuber called 'THK' who's done a lot of amazing tutorials on extreme AE2 stuff, suggest looking that user up.

-Wuffle!

Dzarky

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I do not use auto-crafting. Only auto-production. I don't like having to wait. Although it does take quite long to set-up in comparison. 95% of my channels are used for level emitters to control stock levels of items for auto-production.

But if I need say... Energy conduit I just go in my me storage and pick it up... System notices I took 64 and auto-produces 64.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That's the same as auto-crafting.
I setup two separate types of subnet. The first type is 8 channel nets, typically for small high volume storage, such as cobble in a DSU. It has no reason to be clogging the main system, so it doesn't. Or for a cobble works. I don't need more than 7 outputs, and I almost never need more than one stack of them, so it gets a subnet to monitor the outputs so I know I have a stack.

The other is p2p subnets. Power runs on the Red cable subnet, Items run on the Black cable subnet, ME channels on the White cable subnet, and Fluids run on the Blue cable subnet. That way I can run them out of a single ME controller, and not worry about tying up channels in the main network. Plus I can run all four cables in a 2x3 tunnel.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Hmm, has anyone here messed with compact machines?

I used it to make a multi dimensional ae network with 9 compact machines inside a dimensional doors personal pocket dimension.
Each compact machine had its own ae function. Storage, autocrafting, autocrafting with machines, etc. The middle one had a huge ME core with 6 times 32 p2p busses on it, one for each side of the compact machine.

The covered dense cables then ran from the core of my pocket dimension to the 8 other compact machines in the corners of the pocketdim, which means each of those could send or receive on 24 p2p channels. 1536 ae channels may seem overkill for say, a storage system,but.... It was.
:D

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I don't know if it's in any listed modpack, but since it seems to get along fine with the 200+ other mods in my QubeSpace modpack, I doubt it would conflict with the other mods in say... Sky Factory or Infinity Evolved.

I don't know about Dimensional Doors though.
That mod can create so many new dimensions that it could become a performance issue.
Use at own risk.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Same in Mod Sauce. Though it suffers from Void World-itis. It's basically a very small cube, which is intended to be filled with machines. So, to reduce lag, you take all your machines, and put them in your cube...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The Super-Soaryn-Drive (SSD) was invented by Soaryn as a way to bypass limitations on channels and store a ridiculous amount of storage in a fairly compact space.

However, it is VERY bad on your CPU performance, and eats up RAM like candy, and a major source of lag unless you have a very strong server. When I went from an SSD to a Storage Drawers wall with a single storage bus, I not only saved around 800 RF/t (subnetworks still eat power, yo), but also tripled my framerate. YMMV.

Reactions: Robijnvogel