Industrialization Suggestion Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I'd like to have something similar as well. A solution in the middle of both seems like a good approach. Most of the current mods just say "Stick ore in here and retrieve ingot/dust after a short time".
Having to build different processing lanes for different ores would be fresh air for me. You could limit it to groups of ores which are processed in a similar manner.
Processes for fortuneless ore that needs to be silk touched would also be nice

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
I can see a furnace setup like this be in the spirit of this mod's mission statement:

1. Build huge, hollow multiblock chamber.
2. Stack ores (and fuel?) in chamber. Close its door or seal it otherwise.
3. Feed furnace with sufficient fuel. Turn on power.
4. Wait for a few minute while the furnace roars and glows red.
5. Open chamber. Retreive end products.

A cluster of, say, 4 ore blocks would have been converted into 1 metal block and 3 slag or some other fancy byproduct. That would give a return rate on ingots at a little better than 2:1, without the need to go via dusts (though offset by a long wait time). A chamber stacked floor-to-ceiling with Iron ore would be full of Blocks of Iron and slag in a 1+3 ratio after the process is over. Opening the chamber while the furnace is powered or too early after it is turned off would result in a fiery death for anybody nearby. Perhaps all its contents would be lava at some point (or another fiery liqud as fast-flowing as water, making for useful traps if valves below the furnace were opened). The furnace wouldn't need to have any GUI, and you'd have to walk into it and physically fill it with ores to use it, as well as cleaning slag away afterwards. Manual, yet simple labour. It also makes an incentive for making the furnace big: You could fit more ores into it per operation

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing is I don't want to just do full on multiblocks. If you look at how Industrialization works at the moment, it's one sort of component block that works in a certain way, but how you use it isn't restricted. I want to keep that idea going if at all possible.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I suggest changing the rules. As it is, everything could simply be processed by tossing it into a furnace and getting ingots. Grinding adds a step to increase output, but frankly it's kind of stupid. (I let TE slide because it has the chance of an alternate output.) If there's enough ore to double that, it should come straight out. Consider this, make it so all blocks give double, but require specifically designed multi-blocks to do it. Bronze can be done in a simple brick furnace. 8 bricks in a circle, possibly with a normal stone furnace in the middle to avoid recipe duplication. Plonk that down and you can make bronze. Want to do Iron? Surround it in a 3x3x1 pattern to increase the heat it can hold and it'll double iron. It'll still process iron without that, but it will only double it in that configuration. Gold doesn't need as much heat, but it needs it evenly distributed. So bricks on either side, to let air flow and distribute the heat. Silver needs the heat concentrated so it gets bricks top and bottom. Maybe Ferrous requires another type, so it's 3x3x1, with one block in the center on each side on the second level to channel the heat up.

---

The one advantage to multi-blocks is that you can have world methods of smelting. So for example, if your smeltery consists of a brick block structure, instead of putting entities into it, have it with a tank of some kind in the middle, so that a piston pushes metal ore blocks into place over the tank. Once it's made enough to make a block one is dropped out the bottom and can be pushed aside by a piston like system, or broken for storage by some other method. Here's an example of what I'm talking about, because it's easier to illustrate than explain:

Computer derp, pictures forthcoming.

---

You also said look at how it works now, you don't happen to have a link to somewhere I can. That seems rather conspicuously missing.

gr8pefish

Jul 29, 2019
I like how your mod stands apart by utilizing only a couple blocks in creative ways. Expanding on this, maybe you should have ore output be determined by how heavy the piston is ("weight blocks" on top that make it more powerful) and the speed of the piston (redstone signals to speed it up while the weight slows it down). Perhaps gold gives more output when it is crushed fast but lead while heavy and slow. This could allow for some modular customization while not fitting into the "magic block." Just a very rough idea. Love the concept so far :)

chaogomu

Jan 29, 2013
An idea for you. Steam pipes with vents to blast steam out triggered on a redstone signal. make steam would hurt mobs (cooking them) and strip leaves from trees. (a step in automating your tree farm). A simple way to make steam would be to pipe water through lava...

More ideas for steam;
Use it to separate metal dust from the crushed stone.
Superheat the steam (more lava along the pipe) to turn wood into charcoal. and metal dusts to ingots (slight chance of a pipe rupture)
Use it to dive your crusher pistons, locomotive like.
Leaking steam could be used as decoration. (long particle streams)

Another good idea is a form of redstone wire that loses signal with distance... maybe redstone and slime balls to craft. make it so it needs to be stuck to a block.

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
I love all these ideas, I have a small one to add though
For the block detector, could you make an option to ignore a block? And also it detects water, I'm not sure if this is a bug.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Another good idea is a form of redstone wire that loses signal with distance... maybe redstone and slime balls to craft. make it so it needs to be stuck to a block.
Are you along for the green paste mod or just Redstone...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I think the mods original vision statement was to add blocks that "did stuff" in the spirit of other minecraft blocks: They do not rely, on the most part, on internal inventories to hide an internal process. As such, the mod author didn't want to even add 'magic multiblock' structures as they should not be necessary. laying out a processing plant with individual pistons etc is implicitly multi-block as you like it.

However, I do think there is a lot of scope for "context aware" blocks. Not multiblock structures in the traditional sense. But (for example) furnace blocks that are aware enough of their surroundings that they can detect insulation blocks and model their heat buildup accordingly.

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
I think the mods original vision statement was to add blocks that "did stuff" in the spirit of other minecraft blocks: They do not rely, on the most part, on internal inventories to hide an internal process. As such, the mod author didn't want to even add 'magic multiblock' structures as they should not be necessary. laying out a processing plant with individual pistons etc is implicitly multi-block as you like it.

However, I do think there is a lot of scope for "context aware" blocks. Not multiblock structures in the traditional sense. But furnace blocks that are aware enough of their surroundings that they can detect insulation blocks and model their heat buildup accordingly.
Context aware is definitely what I'm going for.[DOUBLEPOST=1390976905][/DOUBLEPOST]
I love all these ideas, I have a small one to add though
For the block detector, could you make an option to ignore a block? And also it detects water, I'm not sure if this is a bug.
It's supposed to detect things like water, yes.

Do you mean like an option to detect all except the target?

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
Look at things we like to do and are missing.
For example, moving liquids, what are the options we have today? Buildcraft pump and Enderthermic pump.
Im thinking of a special block you place on pistons that can move source blocks, you then make a "pipe" out of any materials available to carry that water to wherever you need. or maybe a special pipe block? One that's actually a whole block.

wEGdoXp.png

I even made a drawing! the things that look like crooked ... mushrooms... are redstone torches. Could be a redstone block too, or something like that.

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
Basically a pump that moves fluid blocks through actual constructed pipes? A pipe version of the old XyCraft tanks?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Here we are, pictures, that might be a little dark, as an idea for a world based smelting system. Basically changing the position of the lava changes what it can smelt and how efficient it is at doing so.

zegoldfish328

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing is I don't want to just do full on multiblocks. If you look at how Industrialization works at the moment, it's one sort of component block that works in a certain way, but how you use it isn't restricted. I want to keep that idea going if at all possible.

Want to reiterate this point. I believe this should be the theme for all machines in Industrialization. Most suggestions are still relying on magic multi-blocks. The reinforced stone block and the filter block are what determine how the work is done not the specific configuration of the overall structure. You've shown us that the reinforced stone/piston configuration is limited only by our imagination (and possibly pointing down). The amount of ore that can be processed is only limited to how large the structure is built but still only based around these two blocks (reinforced stone and piston).

Going off of this suggestion by Kyll.Ing.:
Kyll.Ing. said:
1. Build huge, hollow multiblock chamber.
2. Stack ores (and fuel?) in chamber. Close its door or seal it otherwise.
3. Feed furnace with sufficient fuel. Turn on power.
4. Wait for a few minute while the furnace roars and glows red.
5. Open chamber. Retreive end products

I like this idea but using the theme of having a block that does the work and constrained only by how it does work. For smelting filtered ore you would build a crucible block. You need to heat the crucible. Plop down a log underneath and set it on fire. That's not gonna last very long is it? Ok, netherrack then. But that's just one fire source so that's not going to get very hot, perhaps not even hot enough to smelt the metals. Well, how about lava. Now we're cooking. More lava, more heat. Once you start working with lava you probably want to encase it to make sure it doesn't spill everywhere. Have COFH/TE installed? I bet pyrotheum would really get things cooking. But that's even more dangerous than lava. Hopefully you see where I'm going here...

A couple of issues I just thought of while typing this out:
How do you get items into the crucible without a GUI? That's tough because to stick with the theme I have in mind we don't want magic multi-block structures. Perhaps something similar to the way Thaumcraft uses its crucible. Physically throw items in items get spit back out after work is completed (and my understanding is that this is basically how the Industrialization filter works atm). An Industrialization crucible could work in a similar manner. Throw in ore to be processed and work is completed by time relative to the amount of heat it is receiving from the 5 available sides (as the top is where you toss stuff in). After work is done the processed ore is spit out one side. So you'll want to keep one side exposed so the processed ore doesn't fall into the lava and be destroyed. You can stand on that and collect the items or you can use something to automatically collect them. So many options here.

The majority here seems to wanting BIGGER structures. The above allows you to that while maintaining the same concept of context aware blocks that do work based on how they interact with their environment. Want big? Then build it big. More crucibles, more lava, more hoppers and converyors and bamboozles and whatsits to your heart's content.

Anyway, this kinda went a little longer than I had intended. I think, at least hope, I got across what I'd like to see in this mod :)

Reactions: dmillerw

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
Want to reiterate this point. I believe this should be the theme for all machines in Industrialization. Most suggestions are still relying on magic multi-blocks. The reinforced stone block and the filter block are what determine how the work is done not the specific configuration of the overall structure. You've shown us that the reinforced stone/piston configuration is limited only by our imagination (and possibly pointing down). The amount of ore that can be processed is only limited to how large the structure is built but still only based around these two blocks (reinforced stone and piston).

Going off of this suggestion by Kyll.Ing.:

I like this idea but using the theme of having a block that does the work and constrained only by how it does work. For smelting filtered ore you would build a crucible block. You need to heat the crucible. Plop down a log underneath and set it on fire. That's not gonna last very long is it? Ok, netherrack then. But that's just one fire source so that's not going to get very hot, perhaps not even hot enough to smelt the metals. Well, how about lava. Now we're cooking. More lava, more heat. Once you start working with lava you probably want to encase it to make sure it doesn't spill everywhere. Have COFH/TE installed? I bet pyrotheum would really get things cooking. But that's even more dangerous than lava. Hopefully you see where I'm going here...

A couple of issues I just thought of while typing this out:
How do you get items into the crucible without a GUI? That's tough because to stick with the theme I have in mind we don't want magic multi-block structures. Perhaps something similar to the way Thaumcraft uses its crucible. Physically throw items in items get spit back out after work is completed (and my understanding is that this is basically how the Industrialization filter works atm). An Industrialization crucible could work in a similar manner. Throw in ore to be processed and work is completed by time relative to the amount of heat it is receiving from the 5 available sides (as the top is where you toss stuff in). After work is done the processed ore is spit out one side. So you'll want to keep one side exposed so the processed ore doesn't fall into the lava and be destroyed. You can stand on that and collect the items or you can use something to automatically collect them. So many options here.

The majority here seems to wanting BIGGER structures. The above allows you to that while maintaining the same concept of context aware blocks that do work based on how they interact with their environment. Want big? Then build it big. More crucibles, more lava, more hoppers and converyors and bamboozles and whatsits to your heart's content.

Anyway, this kinda went a little longer than I had intended. I think, at least hope, I got across what I'd like to see in this mod :)
Yes! This is exactly what I like to see! :)

Reactions: zegoldfish328

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'd love to see an actual casting mechanic for working metals.
  1. Place wooden cast in world (say a wooden gear)
  2. Drop a block of sand on top (this stays as the casting block/mould with the wooden gear inside)
  3. Pour molten metal into the mould (burning up the wood)
  4. Quench the hot mould with water- leaving a metal gear encased in sand
  5. Scoop up sand and collect metal gear.
A kind of block displacer which collects/places the blocks in front on receiving/removing a redstone signal would go a long way for mechanism based automation. (the kind of systems I love building btw)

How do you get items into the crucible without a GUI? That's tough because to stick with the theme I have in mind we don't want magic multi-block structures.

Pushing the crucible with a piston tips it over- spilling the contents EVERYWHERE pouring the molten metal into a casting channel of some sort?

Blorph

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see an actual casting mechanic for working metals.
  1. Place wooden cast in world (say a wooden gear)
  2. Drop a block of sand on top (this stays as the casting block/mould with the wooden gear inside)
  3. Pour molten metal into the mould (burning up the wood)
  4. Quench the hot mould with water- leaving a metal gear encased in sand
  5. Scoop up sand and collect metal gear.
A kind of block displacer which collects/places the blocks in front on receiving/removing a redstone signal would go a long way for mechanism based automation. (the kind of systems I love building btw)

Pushing the crucible with a piston tips it over- spilling the contents EVERYWHERE pouring the molten metal into a casting channel of some sort?

That seems more like something that would be in TC..

NotEnoughCoffee

Jul 29, 2019
not sure how dificult it is, but good NEI integration is great, like when pressing shift the info expands. Also, if you're not doing it, publish the change logs, it really helps not having to read endless forum posts.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
Context aware is definitely what I'm going for.[DOUBLEPOST=1390976905][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's supposed to detect things like water, yes.

Do you mean like an option to detect all except the target?
Yeah, like for Some setups you might need to ignore the crusher, or water...
It really isint a big deal, I was just thinking about if you wanted to make you setup more compact and there might be some intersecting blocks.