Industrial TNT?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jhyn

Jul 29, 2019
Hey fellow mindcrackies

So I was thinking, I don't quite have a creeper spawner yet... and each iridium plate takes 16 Industrial TNT... and 16 of those takes 64 gunpowder.(*Math may be wrong) Well, I find I'm running around at night for most of my game time just grabbing gunpowder to make TNT to make industrial TNT to power my implosion compressor for iridum plates.

Do any of you guys know a better way to grab gunpowder (I am aware of sulfur + coal + niter method too (takes even longer))

Thanks in advance!

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has a way to create gunpowder, which you can do using only cobblestone (be aware that it will fill the area with tons of other aspects, so do it away from things)

Edit: 48 cobblestone for each gunpowder since you need 6 furnaces for 1 gunpowder and nothing else. Tons of stone and fractus into the enviroment so definitely not something to do in an area you care about.

Jhyn

Jul 29, 2019
Wow okay sweet ^I made a mob tower, that doesn't work gf me -.- --- and towards the niter + sulfur situation you actually need to pulverize netherrack for sulfur and pulverise sandstone for niter, and then combine the two with coal for 1 gunpowder. Thanks though!

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The sandstone to saltpeter process will be removed in the next thermal expansion so mob traps and thaumcraft will be the only ways to get mass gunpowder.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
The sandstone to saltpeter process will be removed in the next thermal expansion so mob traps and thaumcraft will be the only ways to get mass gunpowder.
Actually in the recipes used to create gunpowder you use niter now in place of saltpeter. So you can still get gunpowder fine with it. You just skip a step. But you do get less gunpowder doing it this way, being 1 gunpowder instead of 2 or 3 with saltpeter.

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
You can get gunpowder from saltpeter and sulfur. Sulfur is very abudant in the nether and saltpeter can be made from potassium, nitrogen and compressed air. Potassium and nitrogen can be gotten from ender pearl dust and compressed air cell from empty ceell in compressor. And if you use electric autocrafting table then you get all the cells back.

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
Just build an endermen farm - you are going to need the berylium anyways if you are going for the fusion reactor. Also ender pearl dust is a nice amplifier in a matter fabricator.

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
No chance of getting a creeper spawner? having the huge amounts of xp and gunpowder from that would be nice

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019

I'm super bummed to hear this. I've been converting tons of cobble to sand to sandstone to niter just to make saltpeter because I have no idea where to find saltpeter naturally. Does anyone know where saltpeter ore blocks are supposed to spawn in world gen? I've finally got my creeper stone to tier 4, but that only means I'm half way to tier 5.

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
I'm super bummed to hear this. I've been converting tons of cobble to sand to sandstone to niter just to make saltpeter because I have no idea where to find saltpeter naturally. Does anyone know where saltpeter ore blocks are supposed to spawn in world gen? I've finally got my creeper stone to tier 4, but that only means I'm half way to tier 5.
I think it's in desserts.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Near the surface in deserts is the last I've heard/seen, also as mentioned above you can now use the nitor directly to make the gun powder at a reduced yield.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Unless they've changed it in the newer versions, GregTech offers another way to get Gunpowder. 3 GP can be crafted using one Coal Dust, one Sulfur (either the Xycraft one, the Forestry one, or the IC2 one, although since the XC one is only obtainable by smelting gunpowder, it's a moot point :p), and two Saltpeter (either the one obtained by crushing TE Niter, or the IC2 version, again, if the Niter one is out, it's an easy choice). 2 GP can be crafted by substituting Charcoal Dust for the Coal Dust, but as you'll see, Coal Dust is more renewable than Saltpeter, so it's not a wise route.

So we have three ingredients, with multiple sources for each:
  • 1 Coal Dust
    • Macerating Coal gives 1 Coal Dust
    • Using the Industrial Centrifuge on 16 pieces of Netherrack Dust gives you one Gold Nugget, one Redstone Dust, one Coal Dust, and 4 IC2 Sulfur
    • Using the Industrial Centrifuge on 16 Soul Sand gives you 10 Sand, 1 Coal Dust, 1 Fuel Can worth 25,000 EU, and 4 IC2 Saltpeter
    • Using the Industrial Electrolyzer on 8 Blaze Powders gives you 2 Coal Dust and 2 IC2 Sulfur
  • 1 Sulfur
    • Centrifuging Brimstone Combs (Forestry/Extra Bees, I think) gives 1 Forestry Sulfur 75% of the time
    • Macerating Sulfur Ore gives 8 IC2 Sulfur (10 via Industrial Grinder)
    • Using the Industrial Centrifuge on 16 pieces of Netherrack Dust gives you one Gold Nugget, one Redstone Dust, one Coal Dust, and 4 IC2 Sulfur
    • Using the Industrial Electrolyzer on 8 Blaze Powders gives you 2 Coal Dust and 2 IC2 Sulfur
  • 2 Saltpeter
    • Combining 2 Potassium Cells, 2 Nitrogen Cells, and 3 Compressed Air Cells gives 10 IC2 Saltpeter
    • Macerating Saltpeter Ore gives 5 IC2 Saltpeter (7 via Industrial Grinder)
    • Using the Industrial Centrifuge on 16 Soul Sand gives you 10 Sand, 1 Coal Dust, 1 Fuel Can worth 25,000 EU, and 4 IC2 Saltpeter
The absolute easiest source for Gunpowder in Mindcrack, without Creepers, is a combination of Industrial Centrifuging Netherrack Dust and Soul Sand, and Industrial Electrolyzing Blaze Powders. This is unfortunately not renewable, but of the necessary ingredients, Soul Sand is the rarest. Blaze Powder is fully renewable, but unfortunately does not provide that oh so necessary Saltpeter. The most renewable source of Gunpowder is from Industrial Electrolyzing Blaze Powders and Ender Pearl Dust (EP Dust provides Nitrogen and Potassium Cells for crafting Saltpeter).

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds complicated, wouldn't it be easier to make a big mob spawner and void all the mob drops except the gunpowder?

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds complicated, wouldn't it be easier to make a big mob spawner and void all the mob drops except the gunpowder?
If you like torching a whole chunk up to avoid the mob cap in order for decent yield, then yes. The absolute easiest and most renewable source is a T5 Creeper spawner drop trap, but that takes a lot of time hunting creepers. Centrifuging and Electrolyzing isn't really that complicated, anyway.

IC2 have no sulfur or saltpeter, those are from railcraft that GregTech use.
Potato, potahto. The recipes are the same.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to note, you should use flint dust to convert the tnt to industrial tnt. If you're using the sand to nitor recipe, you'll end up with extra gravel/flint from starting with cobblestone.

Why exactly is the nitor to saltpeter thing being fixed? Saltpeter isn't exactly used for a whole lot, so it seams odd anyone would consider it an exploit considering the massive amount of MJ you have to pump into this process for a 10% chance of nitor just to make saltpeter.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
If you like torching a whole chunk up to avoid the mob cap in order for decent yield, then yes. The absolute easiest and most renewable source is a T5 Creeper spawner drop trap, but that takes a lot of time hunting creepers. Centrifuging and Electrolyzing isn't really that complicated, anyway.

Nah, I install Mystcraft, so if I feel the need to build a mobtrap I'll find a void age and build it there, much less lag, and better efficiency. Finally got enough diamonds for my link modifier so now I can travel in style.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Why exactly is the nitor to saltpeter thing being fixed? Saltpeter isn't exactly used for a whole lot, so it seams odd anyone would consider it an exploit considering the massive amount of MJ you have to pump into this process for a 10% chance of nitor just to make saltpeter.

It's being changed because fertilizer for forestry is being changed to be non-renewable by removing the ability to make it through ash, and instead of removing the saltpeter to fertilizer recipe that people would exploit they agreed to just remove that one way of creating renewable saltpeter through niter so getting fertilizer for the new forestry farms requires constant outside input.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
It's being changed because fertilizer for forestry is being changed to be non-renewable by removing the ability to make it through ash, and instead of removing the saltpeter to fertilizer recipe that people would exploit they agreed to just remove that one way of creating renewable saltpeter through niter so getting fertilizer for the new forestry farms requires constant outside input.

Ah, that makes sense. It is however quite unfortunate for people trying to make gunpowder. I guess I'll keep grinding away at this soulshard.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
If you like torching a whole chunk up to avoid the mob cap in order for decent yield, then yes.

Just run 16 64/64 quarries as all you need to do is clear out a 128 black radius of the mob system. Than just torch the bedrock layer or even better do it in the ocean.

Ah, that makes sense. It is however quite unfortunate for people trying to make gunpowder. I guess I'll keep grinding away at this soulshard.

As was said before he is changing it so you can use the nitor directly instead of the saltpeter to make gunpowder.