Industrial Craft 2 starter setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
After taking a short break from FTB and returning recently I realized some things have changed in reguards to starting power... Especially for IC2. I used to be able to get a quarry running in 2-3 days and now they are much harder to make. So now I am looking for a new way to power my quarry early game. Im not too familiar with any other power setups so if you could provide a specific example or even a video link as to how to properly setup the system that would be great. Thanks

**Using Direwolf20 Pack

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming your talking about the quarry from buildcraft? If so IC2 is compleatly the wrong tree to be barking up if you want to power it. IC2 power(EU) is not directly compatable with BC power (MJ) and you'd have to run it through a different mod to convert the power. Frankly EU is probably the most obnoxious power type to manage in the DW pack right now so I wouldnt bother with that just to convert it.

Probably the most user friendly way is to look at thermal expansion. That mod is almost 100% compatable with buildcraft. While its dynamos(engiens) output something called redstone flux, as do its energy cells, its conduits( cabling) will output the energy as either RF or MJ depending on what the block its powering is asking for. There are dynamos that can be run off magma, liquid fuels, or off any furnace valid fuel (coal and such). Just make sure you have at least 1 bit of conduit between your quarry and the dynamo or energy cell.

Minefactory reloaded also has a couple nice options for generation of power although you'll prety much still need thermal expansion to transmit that power over a distance.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming your talking about the quarry from buildcraft? If so IC2 is compleatly the wrong tree to be barking up if you want to power it. IC2 power(EU) is not directly compatable with BC power (MJ) and you'd have to run it through a different mod to convert the power. Frankly EU is probably the most obnoxious power type to manage in the DW pack right now so I wouldnt bother with that just to convert it.

Probably the most user friendly way is to look at thermal expansion. That mod is almost 100% compatable with buildcraft. While its dynamos(engiens) output something called redstone flux, as do its energy cells, its conduits( cabling) will output the energy as either RF or MJ depending on what the block its powering is asking for. There are dynamos that can be run off magma, liquid fuels, or off any furnace valid fuel (coal and such). Just make sure you have at least 1 bit of conduit between your quarry and the dynamo or energy cell.

Minefactory reloaded also has a couple nice options for generation of power although you'll prety much still need thermal expansion to transmit that power over a distance.

Are you familiar with how I would set up a geothermal setup, using pumps from the nether into a tesseract? How would i go about doing that?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Are you familiar with how I would set up a geothermal setup, using pumps from the nether into a tesseract? How would i go about doing that?
Enderthermic pump powered by a magmatic dynamo, which uses fluiducts to push the lava into a tessaract, which dumps it into a Railcraft tank in the overworld.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, EU has many interesting mechanics, and some bits I'd prefer in an ideal world (the miner is superior to the quarry, in my opinion, but it needs setting up to get everything that might be needed, and powering it can be a pain). UUM and nukes don't really have an equal in other mods.

But, I'm not going to argue that it's finnicky, and requires a fair amount of investment for any foray into it. On the one hand, I like that it's being developed, but it just seems to be isolating itself more and more, which is a pity.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, EU has many interesting mechanics, and some bits I'd prefer in an ideal world (the miner is superior to the quarry, in my opinion, but it needs setting up to get everything that might be needed, and powering it can be a pain). UUM and nukes don't really have an equal in other mods.

But, I'm not going to argue that it's finnicky, and requires a fair amount of investment for any foray into it. On the one hand, I like that it's being developed, but it just seems to be isolating itself more and more, which is a pity.

Nukes don't have an equal? What about ReactorCraft, Big Reactors and Atomic Science? Sorry, I do like the IC2 ones, but I feel these three are each equally as fun to use. Although none of these mods are in the DW20 pack.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
What I do is set up a BC pump, grab an Ender Tank to hold the lava in, power the pump with 4 Redstone Engines. The other Ender Tank's recipient goes next to the quarry. Set up whatever Magmatic Dynamo's you want. (5 for around 10000/15000 MJ I believe) link Fluiducts from the Ender Tank to the Dynamo's, and link Conduits from the Dynamo's to the quarry. Then the regular sorting system for the quarry and whatever you have set up.
I normally can set this up after about 2 hours of manual mining and a few more for setting up a basic ore processing and sorting system. Hurray for free and cheap things!

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
What I do is set up a BC pump, grab an Ender Tank to hold the lava in, power the pump with 4 Redstone Engines. The other Ender Tank's recipient goes next to the quarry. Set up whatever Magmatic Dynamo's you want. (5 for around 10000/15000 MJ I believe) link Fluiducts from the Ender Tank to the Dynamo's, and link Conduits from the Dynamo's to the quarry. Then the regular sorting system for the quarry and whatever you have set up.
I normally can set this up after about 2 hours of manual mining and a few more for setting up a basic ore processing and sorting system. Hurray for free and cheap things!

I setup something very similar to this. I have the pump connected to my ender tank which sends it to my other endertank in the overworld and deposits the lava into a multiblock tank. From then I have it being pulled out from a fuilduct. Now is it possible for me to power a quarry with the magmatic dynamos? Or do i have to use an engine to power a quarry

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I setup something very similar to this. I have the pump connected to my ender tank which sends it to my other endertank in the overworld and deposits the lava into a multiblock tank. From then I have it being pulled out from a fuilduct. Now is it possible for me to power a quarry with the magmatic dynamos? Or do i have to use an engine to power a quarry
You can use the dynamos, just use conduit to connect the dynamos to the quarry. The conduits (any of the 4 flavors) automagically convert RF (from the dynamos) into MJ for the quarry.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy