Induction smelter automation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to set up my induction smelter to pull sand from one chest and ore from another. I've tried various setups but can not seem to get it to work. The best was a chest, wood transport, smelter with an autarchic gate set for "space in inventory - energy pulse". Unfortunately I think it was looking at the chests inventory not the smelter because when the smelter got to 64 sand, they started dropping on the floor.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Personaly i just set up a chain of ignious extruder -> pulverizer -> induction smelter.
It isn't the fastest way of supplying sand to the furnance, but slow and steady wins the race for me.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Without more advanced logistical solutions you can do the old-fashioned split-pipe back into the chest after the wood (diamond for granularity, stone/cobble for a roughly 50/50 split) to slow down the feed. TE should be getting "has work" conditionals soon which will make this particular issue easy to overcome.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
After tinkering some more, I think "has space in inventory" reads both slots on the smelter so if there's no ore, the sand side will eventually overflow and continue requesting more regardless.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Personaly i just set up a chain of ignious extruder -> pulverizer -> induction smelter.
It isn't the fastest way of supplying sand to the furnance, but slow and steady wins the race for me.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is that better than sending ores directly into a Pulverizer then to a Powered Furnace? You're having to use a Pulverizer either way, and this method gets an occasional extra dust (except from Iron), and you don't have to include an Igneous Extruder in the setup. What's the benefit of a Pulverizer -> Induction Smelter besides Slag/Rockwool? Does it use less energy?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is that better than sending ores directly into a Pulverizer then to a Powered Furnace? You're having to use a Pulverizer either way, and this method gets an occasional extra dust (except from Iron), and you don't have to include an Igneous Extruder in the setup. What's the benefit of a Pulverizer -> Induction Smelter besides Slag/Rockwool? Does it use less energy?
You put dusts in the iduction furnance, that way you get slag in addition to your the occasional extra dusts.
The slag you then turn into rockwhool, which is a great building material since it comes in several colours and don't burn like normal wool does.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
But that wasn't the setup being described. The setup being described was using a Pulverizer to produce sand only. That's the one I was questioning. I've used the powder smelting trick to stock up on Rockwool myself.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
When you run into the two inventories problem you can use two gates, some structure pipe and some red pipe wire. Have 'space in inventory' = 'red pipe signal' on your machine, wired up to your autarchic gate with 'red pipe signal' = 'energy pulser', so you can keep your inventory space detector out of the way of your chests inventory.

All I did with the induction smelter is a diamond pipe with sand in the black route feeding into a hopper on top of the smelter. Sand coming from my rock crusher, pulverizers or tree farm goes past and if there's space in the hopper it goes in there, if not it carries on to the sand barrel.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I would just have an obsidian pipe collecting the dropped sand or ore and diamond pipe them back to their chests. Just make sure you have gold pipe to give the items some speed and slam them against a wall past the smelter if they can't fit.

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Until Logistic Pipes comes out, we have a loop setup for all our machines where the pipe loops back to the source chest that's being extracted.