Incompatibility

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

T3amTact1cal

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing the mindcrack modpack, and I'v trying to put a mod in that I love sooo much, but can't play it :(. It's called tropicraft. I'v put all the stuff in the right area with the launcher mod edit (I think so). But it still won't work. If it is possible to add it to mindcrack modpack, could you please tell me how to?

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
It is hard to say why it is incompatible without seeing an error log of some description of when you put the mod in so if you can post one here someone may be able to tell you what is causing the incompatibility then you can if you want remove whichever mod it is in place of tropicraft. So if you have a log post it if not it is hard for anyone to help.

T3amTact1cal

Jul 29, 2019
It is hard to say why it is incompatible without seeing an error log of some description of when you put the mod in so if you can post one here someone may be able to tell you what is causing the incompatibility then you can if you want remove whichever mod it is in place of tropicraft. So if you have a log post it if not it is hard for anyone to help.

here you go :p

Attachments

• crash-2013-01-24_17.44.58-client.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 103

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Slot 220 is already occupied by soaryn.xycraft.world.block.BlockOres@393dd5c4 when adding net.tropicraft.blocks.BlockTropicalStairs@a9d5438

Time to change item IDs ;)

T3amTact1cal

Jul 29, 2019
Slot 220 is already occupied by soaryn.xycraft.world.block.BlockOres@393dd5c4 when adding net.tropicraft.blocks.BlockTropicalStairs@a9d5438

Time to change item IDs ;)

... :3 I don't know how to do that, I'v never messed with ID's. Could you tell me how D: and what to change it to?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to the very reason why FTB as a modpack exists!

When mod authors make their mods, they give their items more or less arbitrary IDs within the range that is allowed by Minecraft. With the obvious result that putting many mods together is completely impossible because they will be randomly tripping over another. What the FTB team does for you - and the reason for there being a team in the first place - is look at every single mod in the pack and completely reassign all item IDs in such a fashion that all mods still work, none conflicts with another, and all mods still have a little bit of space around them to grow, AND that there's room for new mods in the future as well, which may or may not exist and are of unknown design.

If you want to add a mod that has ID conflicts, you need to do the following:

1.) Find out the IDs used by Tropicraft from the config file.
2.) Look at the crashlog and find out which mod conflicts with Tropicraft. In this case it is Xycraft.
3.) Look at Xycraft. Compare it to Tropicraft. Find all conflicting IDs.
4.) To reassign an item ID, find a gap between the mods somehwere that has enough space. You can for example look at NEI where the items of one mod stop and the items of the next begin. Or you can look through the config files of all the mods in the pack.
5.) Do not, I repeat, do not reassign anything from Xycraft or any other FTB mod, you'll likely only break things further. Reassign IDs only from Tropicraft.
6.) After you have reassigned all conflicting IDs you could find, try starting again. It either works, or it will throw a different conflict. Repeat steps 2 to 5 until you have no more conflicts.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between "block" IDs and "item" IDs. Specifically, blocks used in worldgen, such as ores, must have a block ID under 256. This is the single biggest bottleneck, and you might have to look extra carefully to find room.

Finally, note that I have never done this myself. I'm giving you the theory, not a proven how-to guide. If I were you I'd read up on ID handling in Minecraft first, and should you find someone who actually knows this stuff, discard all of my advice in favor of his ;)

T3amTact1cal

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to the very reason why FTB as a modpack exists!

When mod authors make their mods, they give their items more or less arbitrary IDs within the range that is allowed by Minecraft. With the obvious result that putting many mods together is completely impossible because they will be randomly tripping over another. What the FTB team does for you - and the reason for there being a team in the first place - is look at every single mod in the pack and completely reassign all item IDs in such a fashion that all mods still work, none conflicts with another, and all mods still have a little bit of space around them to grow, AND that there's room for new mods in the future as well, which may or may not exist and are of unknown design.

If you want to add a mod that has ID conflicts, you need to do the following:

1.) Find out the IDs used by Tropicraft from the config file.
2.) Look at the crashlog and find out which mod conflicts with Tropicraft. In this case it is Xycraft.
3.) Look at Xycraft. Compare it to Tropicraft. Find all conflicting IDs.
4.) To reassign an item ID, find a gap between the mods somehwere that has enough space. You can for example look at NEI where the items of one mod stop and the items of the next begin. Or you can look through the config files of all the mods in the pack.
5.) Do not, I repeat, do not reassign anything from Xycraft or any other FTB mod, you'll likely only break things further. Reassign IDs only from Tropicraft.
6.) After you have reassigned all conflicting IDs you could find, try starting again. It either works, or it will throw a different conflict. Repeat steps 2 to 5 until you have no more conflicts.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between "block" IDs and "item" IDs. Specifically, blocks used in worldgen, such as ores, must have a block ID under 256. This is the single biggest bottleneck, and you might have to look extra carefully to find room.

Finally, note that I have never done this myself. I'm giving you the theory, not a proven how-to guide. If I were you I'd read up on ID handling in Minecraft first, and should you find someone who actually knows this stuff, discard all of my advice in favor of his ;)

How can I edit the tropicalstair.block, I can't find the config or anything, and I can't find a way to edit a .class, I understand everything else :/

NathanG

Jul 29, 2019
How can I edit the tropicalstair.block, I can't find the config or anything, and I can't find a way to edit a .class, I understand everything else :/
You don't edit the .class. There is a config folder at (Wherever you installed FTB Launcher)\(Modpack)\minecraft\config\yourmodname.cfg. Just open that up with a text editor, and change the ids as stated above.

T3amTact1cal

Jul 29, 2019
This is the issue I got when I configured the id's of tropicraft to not match any other mod.

Attachments

• crash-2013-01-24_19.20.22-client.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 93

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
This is incorrect. In vanilla Minecraft, this is true, but Forge extends the block id range. Anything below 4095 is a block, and anything above it is an item. So if you're changing block ids for a forge mod, you can set it to almost anything under 4095.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm seeing a block-based out of bounds exception in the new error log. Have you set a block ID in tropicraft to something above 4095?

Like what has been said above: block IDs must be beneath that number, item IDs above. The config should label the relevant IDs as one or the other.

I may be wrong though. I'm not completely fluent in translating error logs.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
This is incorrect. In vanilla Minecraft, this is true, but Forge extends the block id range. Anything below 4095 is a block, and anything above it is an item. So if you're changing block ids for a forge mod, you can set it to almost anything under 4095.

Aha, I didn't know that!

That's exactly why I put that disclaimer at the end of my post ;)

T3amTact1cal

Jul 29, 2019
I'm seeing a block-based out of bounds exception in the new error log. Have you set a block ID in tropicraft to something above 4095?

Like what has been said above: block IDs must be beneath that number, item IDs above. The config should label the relevant IDs as one or the other.

I may be wrong though. I'm not completely fluent in translating error logs.

Ya :p I was lazy, so I put like 3 blocks into the 30k id range. I didn't know I couldn't do that, will fix and test if it works

Edit: JACKPOT!! Thanks for the help guy's. I finally got it to work, and if this happens again with any other mod, I will know what to do :)

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019

I think he's referring to the old rules of Minecraft modding, before the glorious change into the 4096 system. Back in the beta days of Minecraft, the limit was 128, and boy, mods hoarded blocks quite rapidly in result...

Alot of people also don't realize that Forge hooks solve class distinction incompatibilities that used to exist with mods (aka, needing to modify base files for a mod function). Very few IC vets may remember the dg.class that you had to add for the Nano suit. It caused a few incompatibilities here and there, and while it didn't prevent people from playing with the mod, it did create a sense of discouragement to enable the 'special features' of that suit.

All in all, we've come a long way in Minecraft over the last two years. Most incompatibilities are probably due to people cross-interfacing Forge with something that very different, or a refusal to compromise on Java environments...