Immersive Engineering laggy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

I'm following DW20's Let's Play season 8,and I've built an Immersive Engineering area, more or less similar to DW20's version.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing lag which seems related to certain IE machines?

I've been finding lately that, when I'm in the vicinity of a part of the IE area, the game gets really "sticky", with FPS ranging from 5-120, It much worse when I'm around the Cloches / Arc Furnace -- I have Metal Presses there too, but they were there early on and gave no problems then.

Lag really only became a playability problem when I increased Cloches from 3 to 6 (2 Melon, 4 Hemp) and added Detectors (RefStrg) to prevent overproduction by Cloches. I needed more Melon/Hemp because I needed more Plant Oil & Ethanol (2 Squeezers, 2 Fermenters) to keep the Refinery adequately supplied.

The system, and the control, are working fine - indeed all the IE Machines work correctly. It's just severe stuttering, stickiness, lag, which renders the game unplayable when I'm in that area.

M

MikW

Probably because a lot of Immersive Engineering machines has a complicated item model and does some sort of animation.

A

Anton_

I suspect now that it may have been the Detectors. There was a noticeable improvement after I removed them. I followed that up by removing all 6 cloches as well just to get a feel for performance without that whole system, and I'll put them back later. Not sure what anti-overproduction system I'll use - perhaps just 2 Detectors with Redstone Wire channels?

M

MikW

I suspect now that it may have been the Detectors. There was a noticeable improvement after I removed them. I followed that up by removing all 6 cloches as well just to get a feel for performance without that whole system, and I'll put them back later. Not sure what anti-overproduction system I'll use - perhaps just 2 Detectors with Redstone Wire channels?
Don't know. Sorry. Haven't gone that deep into IE and I'm still at an early game phase.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Depending on the mods you have available you may be able to use buildcraft or if you aren't afraid of coding computercraft.

Vanilla Minecraft also has a block that emits a Redstone signal depending on the amount of items in an inventory

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Storage Drawers with Redstone upgrade?

Reactions: Inaeo
A

Anton_

After a bit of experimenting, it seems to be a combination of both Cloches and Detectors, but mainly the latter. Using 6 Cloches each with a manual on/off Lever is still laggy but not nearly as badly as with 2 Detectors as well - with 6 Detectors, as before, it was unplayable.

I'd had 2 Detectors initially, as I just needed to check for 2 items (Melons and Industrial Hemp Seeds), with EnderIO Redstone Conduits from Detectors to Cloches, but found that the Cloches responded unreliably to the redstone signal - perhaps because Redstone Conduits reduce the signal from 15 to 14?

I've just tried the same thing with IE's own Redstone Wire and Redstone Connectors, but the Cloche's response is just as unreliable - in fact, no response at all. It's a pity, because it should be nicely automatable.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
The Cloches are causing you lag?

I've got 6 running with potatoes and industrial hemp. The spuds and seeds go into their respective machines, and the hemp fiber goes into a storage drawer with a void upgrade on it. I've had no issues except when the presser gets full and I need to turn off the hemp...

What are you using to convey your items? I've got a very short conveyor belt line, so maybe it's the entities on the belt that are causing the lag? Shorter line = less entities to count :)

A

Anton_

I'm using Cloches because they seem to generate the goods faster than farms - at least with melons. According to the book, all the Ethanol crops deliver the same amounts, so I just followed DW20. But hemp gives 50% more Plant Oil.

I could probably do at least as well with hemp seeds from an EnderIO Farming Station, which I've used for a variety of other crops - haven't tried that yet with hemp, but if it does work as well as Cloches, then I can kill 4 of my 6 cloches.

I'm using mostly Refined Storage to move things about, with some EnderIO conduits where it seemed sensible. I have a few Conveyor Belts (e.g., for the Cloches) and they are, as you suggest, very short, usually just one per conveyance task. I do have a longer one running up to the Crusher, for ad hoc jobs and because it looks cool, but all routine crushing tasks are via a RefStrg Crafter attached to an ActAdd Automatic Precision Dropper over the maw of the Crusher.

I dump all my hemp fibre into a trash can. It's easy to get if I need it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm finding I like Refined Storage less than I hoped I would. Just seems to have some flaws I can't get past.

As for the Cloches, I suggest Xnet. That way it can control the power, fluid and item output. So you only need to produce the stuff you're interested in, when you're interested in producing it. That way it can start/stop the cloches when melons/seeds are needed, and slow down production when it's not needed by turning off excess cloches.