I'm new to Thaumcraft, fastest way to get Thaumium ingots?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Projekt

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't even started Thaumcraft, never played with it before. I'm wanting Thaumium for my Tinker tools. What's the fastest route I can take to make these?

Like I said, I've never messed with Thaumcraft before and I don't even know the first thing to make. Would anyone like to write me an in-depth explanation on the steps taken to get the ingots? Or link me to a beginners video?

Thanks very much in advance!

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
First off, you'll want to craft a basic wand from a stick and two iron caps made from iron nuggets (in an upside-down boat shape), then right-click it on a bookshelf in the world to get your Thaumonomicon. Read the information on the first tab in there; it'll tell you how the research system and everything else works.

Next, you'll need a Thaumometer. The book should tell you how to craft it; you need a block of glass, some gold, and a couple of shards. Hold your right mouse button while looking at a block, item, or mob through the Thaumometer to scan it. Most things will not be possible to scan yet; but you may not need to scan them if all you care about is thaumium. Many blocks and items contain something that contains the aspect Victus, which you won't be able to discover by scanning things the normal way. You'll have to create a research table (again, explained in the book) to make it by combining the two aspects that make it up. I *think* it's Aqua and Terra, but I'm not certain; the "Aspects of Magic" page in the first tab of the Thaumonomicon does mention the recipe, so look there.

You'll find Thaumium in the Alchemy tab. It's a fairly early research, if I remember correctly; once again,the book will guide you through it. You'll need to research the crucible and probably Alumentum and Nitor before it'll unlock.

Projekt

Jul 29, 2019
First off, you'll want to craft a basic wand from a stick and two iron caps made from iron nuggets (in an upside-down boat shape), then right-click it on a bookshelf in the world to get your Thaumonomicon. Read the information on the first tab in there; it'll tell you how the research system and everything else works.

Next, you'll need a Thaumometer. The book should tell you how to craft it; you need a block of glass, some gold, and a couple of shards. Hold your right mouse button while looking at a block, item, or mob through the Thaumometer to scan it. Most things will not be possible to scan yet; but you may not need to scan them if all you care about is thaumium. Many blocks and items contain something that contains the aspect Victus, which you won't be able to discover by scanning things the normal way. You'll have to create a research table (again, explained in the book) to make it by combining the two aspects that make it up. I *think* it's Aqua and Terra, but I'm not certain; the "Aspects of Magic" page in the first tab of the Thaumonomicon does mention the recipe, so look there.

You'll find Thaumium in the Alchemy tab. It's a fairly early research, if I remember correctly; once again,the book will guide you through it. You'll need to research the crucible and probably Alumentum and Nitor before it'll unlock.
Awesome, Just what I was looking for. Great help, thank you!

Tommerbob

Jul 29, 2019
If you want the lazy way, just look for villages. You can find Thaumium Ingots in both the Blacksmith shop chests and the Thaumcraft towers, if my memory is correct. Each Ingot gives you 2 Tool Rods, so unless you're mass producing Tinker's Tools for whatever reason, even just a couple of Ingots will get you through early and mid game.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Bear in mind for some researches you have to have scanned certain things. For instance, the research needed for making thaumium is locked behind scanning something metallic (The easiest thing is likely iron ore or iron ingots.)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Fastest way to get Thaumium Ingots is to find a magic forest And loot the spider spawner Chest...rofl

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The Cave Spider Spawner chest.

If you get stuck on your scanning, pay attention to the message that pops up. It will suggest things you need to scan first. That said, it can be pretty obscure. Man for example in a single player world is incredibly frustrating. Succubism did an awesome research cheat sheet, and it links to a scanning cheat sheet if you're stuck for a long time on something.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The Cave Spider Spawner chest.

If you get stuck on your scanning, pay attention to the message that pops up. It will suggest things you need to scan first. That said, it can be pretty obscure. Man for example in a single player world is incredibly frustrating. Succubism did an awesome research cheat sheet, and it links to a scanning cheat sheet if you're stuck for a long time on something.
If your scared drop it down to easy..rofl or take some milk. Also i believe the question was fastest not safest. rofl

Also the fastest way to unlock research for scanning is to use the cheat sheet and combine vis in the research table till you unlock most of them. Then you should be able to scan most stuff. also make sure you put Bookcases next to your research table. Also scan ex orbs!