IE:S server freezing my PC!

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

dj_teaCosy

Jul 29, 2019
RESOLVED: System freeze is being caused by faulty Ethernet port. Using wifi as a work-around for now.

Title
IE:S server freezing my PC!

Launcher Type Server

Modpack IE:S

Modpack version unknown (downloaded 10 Nov 2016 from FTB launcher)

Have you modified the pack? Yes

Link to log file

Details of the issue
Heyo, I've got a pretty annoying problem and I'd love some help with it, I'll be as straightforward with this as I can (LOTS OF TEXT WARNING):

THE PROBLEM:
------------------
Recently my IE:S server has been totally freezing the host PC. This happens without warning, usually within half an hour of connecting to it (although it sometimes , and there's no way to restore the PC without a forced restart. Nothing unusual shows up in logs or crash reports at all, no crash report generated.

This setup worked fine initially, then started happening after about 4/5 days. Overwriting the server (not the world) files with a backup seems to stop it for several hours, but it always comes back. Server initially had 4gb RAM dedicated to it, changed it to 2gb, no difference.

THE SETUP:
------------------
The server runs on my laptop, and I connect to it and play from another machine. The two machines are connected via 15m ethernet cable. Neither machine has internet access. Both run windows 7. I've added AromaBackup and Crafting Tweaks to my server mods.

THE HOST MACHINE:
------------------
The server is run on an old laptop, with 8gb RAM (recently upgraded) & 1.6GHz i7 8-core processor, running Java 8.
The CMOS battery has been replaced with a battery that doesn't properly fit the socket, and is held in with adhesive substance called prestik (commonly used to stick posters to walls - don't know what they call it in the US!).
I recently re-applied thermal paste to the CPU & GUP and cleaned the fans, still freezing.
A lot of the USB ports and even the ethernet port can be a little dodgy, sometimes I need to disable & re-enable the ethernet port for it to connect to the "network".
The battery is dead, and so it runs on the charger only.

THE QUIRKS:
------------------
Other oddities I've encountered: The FTB Utilities auto-backup service stopped working on that particular world a few days before this started happening. I replaced it with AromaBackup to keep the backups rolling. Also, this crashing only happens when I'm playing on it, it never crashes when left to run with no players online, even when left for 20+ hours.

The save file has now been transferred to my main machine and is running on a localhost server, so far no problems.

I can provide system info/dumps tomorrow for the server machine, if anyone wants to look at them.

Any help or ideas are appreciated! This is hardly a major problem, but I'd really like to have a separate server machine.

Last edited:

dj_teaCosy

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: Stopped connecting the two machines with an ethernet cable and have tried connecting them via an ad-hoc wifi network, played happily for a few hours last night with no real problems apart from a bit of lag from using wifi. It's a bit early to say but that might be the cause.

The ethernet port is not even showing up on my laptop anymore, any loose ideas on how to sort that out? Full format & re-install windows? I'm open to suggestion.

Last edited:

dj_teaCosy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey thanks for the reply! Normally no, it only shows up when there's a cable plugged in. I've turned off "allow this device to be turned off to save power" flag, but nada.

UPDATE: I've been playing on a local wifi network since my last post, and no crashes so far! Marked as resolved unless something breaks again.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Device manager = Winkey + R and then "devmgmt.msc" and press OK - it should be listed there even when cable is unplugged.
(just wanted to be sure that we're talking about the same thing)

dj_teaCosy

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, same interface, the only thing that shows up under the Network Adapters dropdown is the Wifi adapter, even if I check "show hidden devices" it doesn't show up o_O it's a 6 year old laptop, this is just one of the many quirks that are starting to show up...

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Then broken install or faulty hardware - don't touch more if it's "working" :)