Idea: Tutorial Modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you like to see something like this?

• Total voters

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Not sure... but I think the guy who made pnumaticcraft won a ftb mod competition with an ingame wiki mod or something... He never finished it though or something like that. People are also starting to utilize the hardcore quest pack to pull the user through their pack while explaining it along the way. Ingame wiki is too resource intensive, but I really wish mod authors could explain their mods more thoroughly, but maybe another way is to have authors or demonstrators designing quests to get the user to understand the mods concepts, techniques, and progression if they aren't going to detail them in anything other than "spotlights".

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
Reading this thread gave me an idea. Is it possible to micro tweak mystcraft worlds? My idea would be to use HQM with "sub" worlds per mod. Upon loading into the map you would be in a sort of hub world. This would allow you to teach in a controlled manner.

This could be for total beginners as well.

Quest 1: Go to book 1-Vanilla. Teach them the basics. Farming, mining, tools, the nether then the end. Also teach them some cool toys such as vanilla mob spawners and cool piston-redstone-dropper type builds (I personally get lost whenever someone says "you know just set up a piston thing with a redstone inverter duh!!" I get COMPLETELY lost.

Quest 2: Pick an early game mod let's say TiCO. Have that world only spawn the slimes and ores that would teach you to master that mod on its own

So on and so forth. In my opinion getting a full grasp on each mod and its intricacies alone helps me truly understand a mod. There are some mods with very cool but little used/complicated things some people may have never touched. For example off the top of my head: channels from TiCo. I have never used them nor do I know what they do. If its what I assume that they allow you to transport you liquids further, that sounds so cool having molten metal running all over the room. I have never seen a youtuber use these once and I have watched most of the popular channels.

After you have mastered all of the focused worlds you could then let them loose into a standard map with interaction in mind with quests that follow suit.

I know this goes against the current trend of modtweaking everything to interact together(which I love), this could just be a different take on things.

Edit: Very sorry i seemed to necro this from April. I only looked at the last post date.

Last edited:

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Reading this thread gave me an idea. Is it possible to micro tweak mystcraft worlds? My idea would be to use HQM with "sub" worlds per mod. Upon loading into the map you would be in a sort of hub world. This would allow you to teach in a controlled manner.

This could be for total beginners as well.

Quest 1: Go to book 1-Vanilla. Teach them the basics. Farming, mining, tools, the nether then the end. Also teach them some cool toys such as vanilla mob spawners and cool piston-redstone-dropper type builds (I personally get lost whenever someone says "you know just set up a piston thing with a redstone inverter duh!!" I get COMPLETELY lost.

Quest 2: Pick an early game mod let's say TiCO. Have that world only spawn the slimes and ores that would teach you to master that mod on its own

So on and so forth. In my opinion getting a full grasp on each mod and its intricacies alone helps me truly understand a mod. There are some mods with very cool but little used/complicated things some people may have never touched. For example off the top of my head: channels from TiCo. I have never used them nor do I know what they do. If its what I assume that they allow you to transport you liquids further, that sounds so cool having molten metal running all over the room. I have never seen a youtuber use these once and I have watched most of the popular channels.

After you have mastered all of the focused worlds you could then let them loose into a standard map with interaction in mind with quests that follow suit.

I know this goes against the current trend of modtweaking everything to interact together(which I love), this could just be a different take on things.

Edit: Very sorry i seemed to necro this from April. I only looked at the last post date.
Think you could do that in a way that going into the dimension opens up all the quest for you (and omly fimishing them lets you go to the next "level"?)

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
Think you could do that in a way that going into the dimension opens up all the quest for you (and omly fimishing them lets you go to the next "level"?)

That sounds cool! Maybe with a choice between similar mods for some variety... advance to either TE or Ender IO for example. With the option to do both eventually of course.