Request Idea to stop the spam, without causing too many issues

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So the spam is getting ridiculous now...
BUT as I suggest a while ago, a 10 post "trial" limit seems to be a little too far fetched to be implemented. Maybe though, any post within the first 10 posts, that contains a link, should be unposted until approved.

Yeah, I know some people make accounts just to post a pastebin of their crash report, and they will be affected by a little wait between their issue being posted, and actually being made public. BUT there has been 13 posts (so far) today, in the FTB General chat, alone, all advertising the same site, with the same link.

Also, I dunno if it would be possible, but maybe it could be possible to "whitelist" certain words in a link, so that something that starts as "http://pastebin" would be able to go through un-moderated, or if the URL contain "youtube" then it would be allowed through.

Obviously the second feature may not work, but I know there are some forums that don't allow links within the first 10 posts, and some that have the first 10 moderated. So maybe, there is a happy medium?

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently, they are waiting to deal with this issue once the site updates.

EDIT: Though they are getting to be pretty annoying. :L

Last edited:

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
XenForos new update is out now. So they have to wait for a good time to update. And updating takes about 5 min

Sent from some stupid phone using tappatalk kappa

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
XenForos new update is out now. So they have to wait for a good time to update. And updating takes about 5 min

They're not going to an update, they're going to new software. Apparently.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe hppefully simething decent like phpbb

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
vBulletin? :3
Cause of the Curse partnership, FTB's moving to Curse's custom forum software, which Minecraft Forums and Cobalt Forums run on (I think, don't assume I'm right on this stuff xD).

I don't get how this is news to people, there was a massive discussion about it when announced.
From the OP of that thread:

Although this hasn’t exactly been finalised, the current plan is to move the FTB website and forums over to a new domain. This is likely to be something along the lines of ftb.curseforge.com. This will be a new site heavily influenced by our current site, we do however hope to expand the site to include new features. At this time, there are no plans to put any adverts onto the new forums, they will however use new software that Curse has developed.

Reactions: Chaka

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
If they move to the broken minecraft forums software I am leaving ftb

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
actually some members have the option to do a quick kill on spam for new accounts (revised by mods though)

Reactions: Chaka

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Where are you guys seeing the spam? I spend about 6 hours a day on the forums, and I haven't seen any spam in about a week and a half.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Where are you guys seeing the spam? I spend about 6 hours a day on the forums, and I haven't seen any spam in about a week and a half.
It's usually around 10am-3pm GMT that it appears. It's usually all removed by around 3:30pm

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
I saw spam early in the morning a lot. I also own a forum and spam is something that is really hard to stop without real people. A computer can easily remove easy spam but when it comes to ads that look like a legit post thats when a computer can't solve that issue.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Generally I clean up the spam at ~6:00am CST. So it should all be gone by around then. Only reason I don't clean it up in between is because, well, I need to sleep >.<

Whoever invented sleep needs to be stabbed several times

Reactions: Kill-Joy

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
Generally I clean up the spam at ~6:00am CST. So it should all be gone by around then. Only reason I don't clean it up in between is because, well, I need to sleep >.<

Well we should thank you, Wagon, and DrowElf for spending all this time making the forums "clean" :D

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019

How do you clean it up? If it is some sort of special privilege then I might need to apply for it, as I am usually on when the spam is at its worse.