Idea For a mod: Valuable Lighting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sirbab

Jul 29, 2019
Just a little musing that i had, but i thought it would be interesting to use, and sadly java has befuddled me at my every attempt to code with it :p

More or less the premise, is that i want light to be a valuable commodity, not something that can be obtained in five minutes time, that also lasts forever.
Ie, torches either disabled/burnout require relighting/replacing (candles fit this well already)
Glowstone would be very dim, a small amount brighter than a redstone torch.
Jack-o-lantern either disabled or same case as torches.

Just wanted to hear some feedback on this idea.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if Notch had ever got around to implementing his original idea for lanterns, Torches would have burnt out over time and had to be re-lit with a Flint and Steel, and Lanterns would provide light forever and use Glowstone Dust in their crafting recipe. He ultimately gave up on the idea, I suspect partly because he wanted to avoid the inevitable backlash.
Personally I think Minecraft could use some more danger in the sense of having something to prepare for, worry about, and provide maintenance on so long as it still left time and opportunity for the rest of the game. You know, give a reason for all the nifty trap ideas and lessen the complacency. Making most light sources temporary would help, though more intelligent mobs with a wider variety of dangers would help more.

But I don't think this is the right section for that...

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I like it as long as there are some alternatives to getting light. Like how we were supposed to get lanterns so long ago and torches that burn out. Just disabling torches I think would be bad, but burnout would be okay. I think it wouldn't be useful unless you started messing with other mods' lights though. It would just be convincing people to use redpower lamps or thaumcraft's nitor. It would make it really hard to set up an effective base in the beginning, because you might not be able to light it up all the time or all the way.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I think Nitor would be a sufficient expense to justify it in any context. It does take multiple aspects and vis to create. As Azanor's stance towards mod pack inclusion is unwelcoming, I doubt he'd be welcome to a meta-mod for it. A work around for that could be changing how the light value works so that 15 is not so much. The Mystcraft dark symbol seems to do something like that visually.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
If anything like this were to be implented soemthign had to be done with mob spawning. It makes no sence that because the light inside your house goes out you risk a creeper just popping out of the blue in the other side of you room

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
That is more of less the point. It adds danger to the game until you can effectively create long lasting light to prevent mob spawns in your house for good.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
it's not that a bit of danger is bad, but it should also be possible to get a tiny bit of safety, let the monster spawn outside, let them open doors, let them spawn in the room next door even. but if creeper starts spawning inside the room you're hiding in the second the light goes out this mod would only be a nuisance

demchrome

Jul 29, 2019
it's not that a bit of danger is bad, but it should also be possible to get a tiny bit of safety, let the monster spawn outside, let them open doors, let them spawn in the room next door even. but if creeper starts spawning inside the room you're hiding in the second the light goes out this mod would only be a nuisance
there is a safe area around the player that mobs can't spawn, so creepers won't pop up right next to your bed and hsss... :)