I'd like to know what to look for..

Agenu

Jul 29, 2019
I've spent alot of time looking through ppls log files. I've spotted the 'obvious' faults (always been to scared to comment though. I'm no programmer). I would like to know abit more about how to interpret the logs.

Any tips?

Agenu

Jul 29, 2019
I always Google what I don't understand :p . There are patterns within logs though and recognising those patterns, is what makes log analysis a bit easier.

MobiusOne

Jul 29, 2019
google and educated guesses on what some of the words mean/refer to. Thats what taught me. if its "block Id conflict" then it will say something like block id xxxx is already taken... same with item id's. (that was the main reason for crashes before the universal configs for me.
Then in log files that I come across nowadays, its more like "blahblahblah something liquid something...." then a few "lines down buildcraft something." this means that something is going on with an buildcraft block probably related to liquids.
Basically, just look for key phrases. Some of the lines displayed in the log file are almost completely irrelevant to the average user. For example, 99% of the lines where it will say initialized---->added---->available or something like that are completely useless, very rarely do they show issues (I think this is more for mod developers use when they are building the mods and testing them out)

Agenu

Jul 29, 2019
Cheers for the replies folks, I appreciate them. Anything that helps me learn and maybe in the future help others is always good.