IC2 Windmill Lag?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
Some one told me that the IC2 windmills can cause lots of lag. I have 5 wind towers of 64 windmills each at my base powering stuff. I can understand why they can cause lag because they have to check the "wind strength" every few ticks. I want to know if they produce a lot of lag. I am playing on a server using the mindcrack pack.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, for the same reason fields of solar produce lag. For the same reason multiple huge towers of passive watermills produce lag. Any generator you spam by the dozens will create lag.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I can understand why they can cause lag because they have to check the "wind strength" every few ticks.

That isn't all there is to it. IC2 power packets are like items in a pipe. Your 64 windmills are stuffing 64 items into a pipe every tick. Depending on how you've wired everything this can be a little lag or it can be a lot.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
That isn't all there is to it. IC2 power packets are like items in a pipe. Your 64 windmills are stuffing 64 items into a pipe every tick.
No, they aren't. They are more like items in AE system. 320 windmills really shouldn't cause noticable lag.

Edit: I tested it with 64x64 field of solars on field of glass fiber cable connected to mass fab. Initially there was huge lag due to e-net calculations (it could be better, but it is only an issue when loading game/chunks) and after it was running smoothly.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I guess you're saying AE doesn't cause noticeable lag either. ;)

If you're saying IC2 power is no longer a packet network then that is news to me and should mean we no longer have to fear loops, no longer worry that each piece of ic2 cable can hold an infinite amount of packets.

...which is great news. Curious I can't find mention of it anywhere else.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
It is packet network, but connections are precomputated, so you just have packet going from source to destination and not through wires like before. And no, you shouldn't fear loops, however they can cause weird issues with packet loss. From my tests with this huge array output EU was very random, but it changed only when E-net changed by adding machines/wires or chunks were loaded or unloaded. If loops could cause issues, 64x64 field of glass fiber cable would render the game unplayable the whole time, not only when loading it (I don't advice anyone doing it on server).