IC2 Or UE?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys! Well, i've been having good times with universal electricity mods from a long time ago in an instance i made myself.. But I would like to know what people think about IC2 being replaced with UE (Mekanism, atomic science, etc..)..Let me first say some things that have to be considered:

-Ic2 is a classic as someone told me, but being completely honest, it has been overclassed. A lot. It adds a lot of machines, items, textures.. etc..etc.. From which only the tools, armor and weapons are used.. With the coming of tinkers construct and flux weaponry and tools, only the armor remains, which has some counterparts along 3 or 4 mods.. Ic2 as of now is obsolete.. I liked it a lot, gt gave it some more use.. But now, gt is not included in packs and a lot of people, for personal reasons, do not include it, so why keep Ic2?

-Ue has a ton of work put into it, from the start you can see it.. If you havent played with mekanism and atomic science, PLEASE, before hating for saying Ic2 is outclassed, go watch a youtube video about it or something.. You will understand better what i mean.

-Ic2 hasn't changed in almost a year.. With no major updates (only minor tweaks and bug fixes), we have the same gameplay we had before but now we have so many options to make the same things, but better.. Ic2 is being maintained but not developed, it's been big for so long, but now (even though it doesnt seem so, I like it) its just a waste of time and resources (Minecraft and memory wise) and, everyone has to admit that we are getting far and far from it each update.. I know there will be some people that still use it, but im talking about the majority here, which clearly doesn't use it anymore except for some minor thingies..

So, In my monster world (thanks the ftb team for this) i've been able to disable ic2 because we have reactor and rotary craft, i've been waiting for doing that for soooo long.. But I also enjoy mekanism and atomic science, so.. I would like to know, if people are ok with Ic2 being disabled (not by default, maybe disable it yourself and have its replacement there ready for use) what would they use to replace it? Rotary? Ue? Other? Would you like to have UE options included in the pack so you can switch them?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
A couple things to note
Mekanism is no longer a part of UE
Ic2's crop system hasn't been matched by any mod and is still in a class of its own
Ic2 has superior addons to UE because UE is simply not stable enough to use as an api
IC2 has lost some popularity is it's ever changing api because it's currently undergoing an overhaul which means that it is also unfriendly to addons
All that said I feel that a majority of ic2 has been covered in a more server friendly and easy to understand way by other mods. IC2's dev team has not even responded to multiple reports of server destroying bugs and no one else can fix it because it's closed source. IC2 is a classic mod and as such is the predecessor to many of today's mods. I no longer have ic2 in my world and I haven't since 1.2.5 mostly because I wanted to challenge myself to use small mods. So I don't know if ic2 is worse or better but it isn't as server efficient which is a serious issue on a low end system like mine

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
-Ic2 hasn't changed in almost a year.. With no major updates (only minor tweaks and bug fixes), we have the same gameplay we had before but now we have so many options to make the same things, but better.. Ic2 is being maintained but not developed, it's been big for so long, but now (even though it doesnt seem so, I like it) its just a waste of time and resources (Minecraft and memory wise) and, everyone has to admit that we are getting far and far from it each update.. I know there will be some people that still use it, but im talking about the majority here, which clearly doesn't use it anymore except for some minor thingies..

?

896ba62d_moGq25g_zpsa7da1975.gif

It has NOT been a year since experimental changes. It has been changing RAPIDLY since mid 2013. New machines, new power system(in development) new blocks and items, the entire MOD is being overhauled. Even the API is ever changing! It is NOT the same mod from 1.2.5. (i have no idea why I get worked up over the smallest things)

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Why bother with IC2, when you have:
Thermal expansion ore procces( Tico aswell, aswell as thaumcraft, etc)
Magic Crops and do you really need the 3 wheat per 1 block, since you can just plant more and automate it for better results
Jetpack: Thaumastatic harness, morph, power suits, Ars magica
Armor: Incoming WIP Tico armor/Power Suits/Ars Magica
Tools: Tico/ Redstone Arsenal
Why have to do all the tedious work, when you can do it easier, you make low end machines, use them to make higher tier and thats it, the only thing i may even use IC2 is the UU matter, but like with the changes they are cool and what not the 3x our output kinda did the job, but cut it off short, Ic2 without GregTech isnt worth it getting into anymore.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Magic Crops and do you really need the 3 wheat per 1 block, since you can just plant more and automate it for better results
Why have to do all the tedious work, when you can do it easier, you make low end machines, use them to make higher tier and thats it, the only thing i may even use IC2 is the UU matter, but like with the changes they are cool and what not the 3x our output kinda did the job, but cut it off short, Ic2 without GregTech isnt worth it getting into anymore.
Because wynaut?
Oveclockers sre the main reason :p
And some people do still like it, while it is outdated, there is no denying some still use it. And it is a classic.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
UE has no addons, but the number of mods it has using it is greater than IC2. And IC2 has one (arguably two) worthwhile addons and neither of them are included in FTB packs. I would much prefer Calclavia's mods, Modular Powersuits, MPSA, Galacticaft and Mekanism than have an IC2 exclusive world. I still haven't check out a few UE mods (MineChem, Mad Science).

To the OP, UE mods are better but are simply too unstable. There's more to do with theUE mods. IC2 needs new direction. Maybe remove all the machines, hand them over to Greg, and make the mod just crops, I might use it then.

Reactions: Pyure

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

What's funny is in your list you overlooked a lot of things.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I know. But it still fits in. Especially seeing as it still uses joules by default and is compatible with EU and MJ like all UE mods.
Fun fact: the joules system was fully overhauled by mekanism. It doesn't fit with the energy system in UE before it. Before joules had volts and charge and was fairly similar to the ic2exp power system... And just as server inefficient. With the help of lemming aiden created the new system.
However you are definitely right that it's compatibility is great except aiden has removed Mj support repeatedly and I believe that he is going to fully remove it in 1.7

At least I'm pretty sure that's how everything is and has gone down. Anyone feel free to correct me if I messed something up or forgot something

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Or unless your computer requires you to keep it light
If your computer requires you to keep it light, then there really is no comparison. IC2 simply has to go in favor of less resource-intensive options like Thermal Expansion 3.

Mekanism isn't UE anymore. It has Joules, but not the UE joules, that can by default be translated into RF with a config option, even though it's really making Joules and making a change to the GUI to show the numbers in RF, and output RF as well as Joules (UE) and Joules (Mek), and at least for now MJ, but really it's a whole different system with its own API which is about a bazillion times easier to use than IC2's.

Was that any less confusing? :p

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Or unless your computer requires you to keep it light
In which case you shouldn't have either IC2 OR UE/Mek, should you?

Also, I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but expecting Modded MC to work on a subpar computer is getting fairly unreasonable (it's getting significantly worse by the version). Yeah I get that people don't want new comps, but seriously most modpacks are more resource-intensive than StarCraft II on max settings (I kid you not, I get way better FPS in maxed-out SC2 than in modpacks).

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013

Also, I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but expecting Modded MC to work on a subpar computer is getting fairly unreasonable (it's getting significantly worse by the version). Yeah I get that people don't want new comps, but seriously most modpacks are more resource-intensive than StarCraft II on max settings (I kid you not, I get way better FPS in maxed-out SC2 than in modpacks).
Mek 6 is at near te levels as far as I know

Reactions: Zenthon_127

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

ShneekeyCraft is explicitly designed to work on 'legacy hardware', being able to still be run in 32 bit Java and still be functional. Granted, it is something of a minimalist mod pack, but it can be run on 512 MB RAM without a problem, at least if you don't install the optional mods.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
ShneekeyCraft is explicitly designed to work on 'legacy hardware', being able to still be run in 32 bit Java and still be functional. Granted, it is something of a minimalist mod pack, but it can be run on 512 MB RAM without a problem, at least if you don't install the optional mods.
Yeah, lite and minimalist packs still work fine, but for how long? Every version of MC has resulted in a massive drop in performance, and 1.7 isn't looking any different.

Besides, you and I both know that frankly not all mod authors will put in the work or make the sacrifices needed for TE3-tier performance (hell in many cases it's just flat-out impossible).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yeah, lite and minimalist packs still work fine, but for how long? Every version of MC has resulted in a massive drop in performance, and 1.7 isn't looking any different.

Besides, you and I both know that frankly not all mod authors will put in the work or make the sacrifices needed for TE3-tier performance (hell in many cases it's just flat-out impossible).
True, but with TE3, Mekanism, and MFR to replace BC/IC2/Forestry/Railcraft, there will be a hell of a lot fewer resources required.