IC2 miner, ores it cant mine?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

clippjam

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any ores that the IC2 miner cannot dig up, and if so is it possible to change this? I am mostly asking because the macerator does not work with ferrous ore and lead ore, so I thought that perhaps IC2 did not recognise them. (I am using the DW20 pack)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
The Macerator can't work on Ferrous or Lead since the Macerator manager doesn't know about them, and it couldn't without having Ferrous or Lead Dust ingame, which IC2 doesn't. (Gregtech can remedy this, but some people don't like Gregtech.)

The Miner, on the other hand, has a list of ores in the IC2 config that it looks through and grabs those. In the FTB packs, it should have those preprogrammed in, so you don't have to worry about that.

And don't ask for an ID list for the Macerator, even if it had intelligent name-recognizing (so that if it macerates anything called "Lead Ore," you get Lead Dust, which would be then added in "vanilla" IC2 instead of Gregtech,) since what would happen if you told it that it could macerate something called "Nuclear Reactor?" Would you get Nuclear dust? ;)

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
Combine it with frames to easily move it and you've got a better solution to Quarries, as there will be orders of magnitude less cobble to deal with.

Reactions: Guswut and Whovian

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Combine it with frames to easily move it and you've got a better solution to Quarries, as there will be orders of magnitude less cobble to deal with.

Indeed to the fourth power. IC2 miners are also easier to automate compared to BC quarries as you don't have to lay down landmarks, and the like. Although if you are using your quarry intake of cobble and dirt to fuel your scrap box production as you are attempting to build a house out of full barrels of scrap boxes, well, you are out of luck.

nsmyrnos

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wanting to use frames to make an ic2 mining barge (used to do something similar in SSP with the zeppelin mod). Anyone have a good link of an example?

Reactions: GearSB

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wanting to use frames to make an ic2 mining barge (used to do something similar in SSP with the zeppelin mod). Anyone have a good link of an example?
I did the same thing.

Built it to have 4 miners with the top card, and would methodically move and mine out about a nearly 2x2 chunk worth of ore each time.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I did the same thing.

Built it to have 4 miners with the top card, and would methodically move and mine out about a nearly 2x2 chunk worth of ore each time.

Why did you make it 2x2 instead of 1x4? I see the 2x2 design usually, and I do not understand why that'd make sense. For chunk loading reasons, you'll be larger than a 1x1 chunk loader can hold, so you'll need to load at least four chunks per 2x2 area, which would be the same for a 1x4. As far as movement, the 1x4 would be faster as it'll only have to move nine spaces before allowing redeployment.

Was it for the look, perhaps? Any specific reason? Thanks!

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
1. Because you couldn't remote control an airship well even when you were right next to it because of it's movement system. Heck, even when you were on the airship, you couldn't really fly it that well. They can move fast, but you pay for that with the inaccurate controls and difficulty aligning to the world to rejoin it and get everything working again.

2. When it was moving, basically anything non vanilla in it didn't work, meaning no chunkloaders, and you couldn't mine and fly at the same time.

3. IC2 Miners work pretty fast. By the time you got set up, you'd have to come back 5 minutes later to move the rig.

4. Airships isn't the most stable of mods, so anything bigger than a 2x2 miner set up tended to go horribly wrong. My attempts at 3x3 set ups often ended up with corrupted worlds.