IC2 Fluid Reactor Setup Questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
I've been setting up an IC2 Fluid/Liquid Reactor on a server running the Direwolf20 1.7.10 (1.10 version, confusingly...) mod pack. Lots of resources are now sitting in a big lumpy object in a moderately safe room way underground, and I'm trying to figure out how to run it safely.

I'm using a sample fluid reactor configuration included in the IC2 Planner app, supposed to generate 1279.4 HeatUnits/tick, and 511,747,360 total heat units from two Dual fuel cells and two Quad fuel cells.

Connected to the 5x5 block I have six liquid heat exchangers - four powering a two-stage turbine setup and two running Stirling generators. All of these generate power, that part seems to work.

What I am seeing is about a 25-30 second cycle where the reactor coolant heats, powers the various connected blocks, and then starts to overheat the core.

Maybe this is just a simple question; do I just need to attach enough cooling devices to handle all 1280 heat units, to make the reactor run but not overheat? And if so, how many Liquid Heat Exchangers do I need to soak 1280 heat units per tick?

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
I may have answered my own question... Reading through another thread on the IC2 Nuclear Engineering forum, I see the recommendation for a similar setup is 13 heat exchangers; 12 with all included copper heat elements, and one with eight, totalling exactly 1280 HUs handled.

Looks like I need to make a bunch more IC2 machines. :eek: