Ic2 Experimental Uranium Reactor setup with 60k Coolant Cells

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Doktor KlingeL

Jul 29, 2019
Hello again fellow Minecraftlers.

Since I have not played Minecraft for a quite long time, some things have changed.
Like the IC2 Mod for example, where machines do not explode if too high voltage is applied.

So I was wondering how much the reactor has changed. In one of my latest threads I asked about MOX fuel reactors.
I got very nice answers but I was wondering if there is also the option of an uranium reactor which is not only cooled by vents and/or heat exchangers but with 60k coolant cells.
I can produce many of them (about 30 solar distillers + canning machine).

The reason I ask is because I wanted to use my uranium ore and so I got quite a few stacks of uranium fuel rods.

I am aiming for 800+ eu/t

Surprisingly there are very few tutorials about this topic or I am just a noob at using google.

Thank you for your help!

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the IC² forums are probably the best place to look: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Board&boardID=60
Some of the threads are even from this year! And they have links to the mysterious 5x5x5 "steam" design.

WRT your stuff not blowing up - you can, I guess, use it as a license to use TIN cable everywhere and not bother with the limits at all. Or try to stick to the limits - in spirit - and be thankful things don't blow up if you are uncautios. Or edit the config to turn it back on : the exploding mechanic is still there, just off by default. If you do turn it on, be sure to backup your world first - I don't know if its off by default because the devs are aware that too many nubs have non compliant cabling in their current world that a config change would detonate, or if its because they havn't managed to fix the weird edge cases where scenarios that seem like they shouldn't blow up do.

But seriously, the biggest problem with novel IC² reactor designs is they are impossible to automate. Well, I Don't know of mods other than Computer Craft that are going to let you place and remove items at grid positions.
So all reactors that have consumable components such as coolant cells, or reflector plates, are going to have to undergo manual maintenance every 2.7 hours. And who, frankly, has time for that. Especially in modpacks where, even with the "low" efficiencies possible in the simple to automate designs (4.33x for uranium, 16x for MOX), automated mining machines are fast enough that uranium stockpiles grow rather than shrink.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
WRT your stuff not blowing up - you can, I guess, use it as a license to use TIN cable everywhere and not bother with the limits at all. Or try to stick to the limits - in spirit - and be thankful things don't blow up if you are uncautios. Or edit the config to turn it back on : the exploding mechanic is still there, just off by default. If you do turn it on, be sure to backup your world first - I don't know if its off by default because the devs are aware that too many nubs have non compliant cabling in their current world that a config change would detonate, or if its because they havn't managed to fix the weird edge cases where scenarios that seem like they shouldn't blow up do.
You're right that you can use any cable for throughput due to the busted nature of the IC2 enet. Just be aware that the config option to turn "proper" cables back on is pretty busted too. I've seen scenarios where it was easy to exploit it and generate power from nothing. YMMV.

But seriously, the biggest problem with novel IC² reactor designs is they are impossible to automate. Well, I Don't know of mods other than Computer Craft that are going to let you place and remove items at grid positions.
So all reactors that have consumable components such as coolant cells, or reflector plates, are going to have to undergo manual maintenance every 2.7 hours. And who, frankly, has time for that. Especially in modpacks where, even with the "low" efficiencies possible in the simple to automate designs (4.33x for uranium, 16x for MOX), automated mining machines are fast enough that uranium stockpiles grow rather than shrink.
The best way to automate IC2 reactors is to limit yourself to a single type of fuel rod. Then its just a matter of using any piping system which can suck out "spent" rods (like Ender IO conduits for instance) and insert fresh ones. Since you don't care which rods go where, its safe to just flood the reactor with whichever number of rods will fit.

That said, don't be like me and do this and accidentally remove some other component of your reactor: fuel rods will go into those slots and turn your base bowl-shaped.

Reactions: ChemE

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
This may be a little bit offtopic but does anyone know the reason why IC2 is undergoing such huge changes?

I think it is because Gregarius T has taken over IC2 and is imposing a more Gregtech leaning. Still strange the enet is gone from IC2 though, machines blowing up from over-voltage was certainly a centerpiece of Gregtech.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think it is because Gregarius T has taken over IC2 and is imposing a more Gregtech leaning. Still strange the enet is gone from IC2 though, machines blowing up from over-voltage was certainly a centerpiece of Gregtech.
ChemE, is this a fact? I didn't think Greg had any decision making power for IC2.

IC2e afaik is just stuck in a transition limbo. They wanted to overhaul the enet (player's work) but it never got completed. As far as I'm concerned, IC2-non-experimental now qualifies as vapourware. There's no particular reason to hope they'll ever complete the enet and exit "experimental" status.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Doktor KlingeL

Jul 29, 2019
Well I have to admit that a few years back IC2 made much more fun to play than now and it is not particularly because of the machines not exploding. I only use IC2 now because I have to in "FTB Infinity Evolved Expert Mode". I remember how I really liked this mod, but now I think the "soul" of the mod is gone, if that makes any sense to anyone.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
ChemE, is this a fact? I didn't think Greg had any decision making power for IC2.

IC2e afaik is just stuck in a transition limbo. They wanted to overhaul the enet (player's work) but it never got completed. As far as I'm concerned, IC2-non-experimental now qualifies as vapourware. There's no particular reason to hope they'll ever complete the enet and exit "experimental" status.

In all honesty, I've not been keeping up with the goings on of GregariusT for a few years now. @Middleclaw hates GT so I've not played with it since we're server mates and it has dropped off my radar. You are probably a lot more up to date and therefore I trust your information. I am in no way plugged in to the IC2/GT development work.

Reactions: Pyure