Ic2 Electric Multi-tool

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
I've just got a good idea guys, a Electric Multi-tool. The Multi-tool has the abilities of a Pickaxe, a Shovel, Shears, a Hoe, an Axe and a Sword. It will of course run only on energy from it's internal storage or from a lap-pack or the other packs. I came up with the idea of it because there is no Multi-tool in ic2. It will not be too over-powered or too under-powered if it get's the correct eu usage. The recipes for this would be:
B=Blank
L=Lapatron crystals
H=Multi-tool Hull
M=Multi-tool module
A=Advanced circuit
P=Advanced Machine block
F=MFE
D=Diamond drill
C=Chainsaw
N= Nano saber
Multi-tool Hull-
PAP
AFA
PAP
Multi-tool Module-
LAL
CND
LAL
Multi-tool-
BBB
BMB
BHB

Tell me how you guy's feel about this:)

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I hope to someday see a tool that works like EE2's tools. Having control over how fast your pickaxe mined was really nice. Vajra is nice for tougher blocks, but too dangerous to walk around your base with.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
the omnitool is nice because having multiple tools just for each mod is kinda crummy... having a multitool for everything just seems OP though.
I'd be very much against it.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
The Vajra is the ultimate omni-tool. It actually manages to outclass Creative block breaking for efficiency and speed and is equally fast on all materials.

So long as your pack contains Gravitation Suite for IC2 you will have access to it. Due to its supreme abilities it's very expensive to craft however.

Edit: Hold on. Are you talking about a multi-tool block?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
If you want an EU-powered multitool with adjustable block-breaking rates, you should check out Modular Powersuits. It's in the Universal Electricity pack, but it's also compatible with Industrialcraft EUs. It's missing a hoe, though. :p

Reactions: whythisname

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I might sound strange, but I don't see the "all in one" tools that appealing.

I mean, pickaxe and shovel is nice, certainly, but I have no problem with carrying around a bag with my other tools in it.
I often even carry 2 enchanted pickaxes along with the drill, the first for Silk Touch, the second for Fortune (I don't trust the rock cutter, it's way too slow for massive usages).

Sure, it is nice to have a tool for everything, but it seems like the only downsides are more EU cost (not a problem for high tier users) and high material cost to build (again, not really a problem when you reach end game).
At least, Modular Powersuit add some downsides, such as reducing your move speed.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Show me a real life tool that does all this and I'll approve. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense and no one needs all those functions all the time so it isn't really required. Inventory space efficiency isn't exactly an issue with all the backpacks.

Reactions: OmegaPython

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Universal Electricity's Mekanism does a bit of this with the Paxel, and Modular Powersuits actually lets you do almost all of this (albeit with worse weapon characterisitcs). For material tools with wear all you're doing is trading efficiency for bag space. The Paxel uses 3x the material of a normal tool but breaks down nearly as fast. Modular Powersuits tries to balance its tool by adding weight mechanics.

Tools that trade durability for energy are powerful, and the only thing that doesn't make them totally absurd is the lack of enchant-ability.

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
the omnitool is nice because having multiple tools just for each mod is kinda crummy... having a multitool for everything just seems OP though.
I'd be very much against it.

Shame the omniwrench doesn't work for Redpower tho. Plus at least in the version mindcrack v8 is using I've had some issues - couldn't wrench tesla coils, for example.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Shame the omniwrench doesn't work for Redpower tho. Plus at least in the version mindcrack v8 is using I've had some issues - couldn't wrench tesla coils, for example.
As far as I know the lack of RP2 support is because it's under tight lock by Eloraam, not because they don't want to add it. I agree it's a shame though and I would really like to see it added as well (I totally love the OmniWrench).

Anyway I'm probably going to install Modular Power suits. If I'm going to have an OP super suit/tool in my game I might as well have one that I think is totally awesome (instead of Quantum armor). Also, apparently in the future it might also work on MJs through TE (at least there is interaction with TE planned, not exactly sure what though) so that might also be really cool (finally MJ powered tools :D). Not to mention all the other cool features/modules planned for it.

bob marley

Jul 29, 2019
no one mentioned the chainsaw and between the chainsaw and drill that pretty much covers all your tools and sword.