I need a ComputerCraft expert to help my server

ScottyNitroGold

Jul 29, 2019
Well basicly i have set up a spawn but no matter what i do,no matter how many tutorials i watch it's alway the same i just can't do ComputerCraft and honestly i don't have the patiants for it so if anyone here is a Expert or at least know how to setText,setText colour and such and help me make a Computercraft welcome sign with instruction so my players can answer the questions ive placed then please let me know and i will give you all the info you will need once your in the server.

P.S. The server is a FTB Unleashed 1.1.3 server with Hts,BiomesOplenty and PowerConverters enabled so you will need those to get in (but thats simple enough since you jsut need to enable them in the "edit Modpack" tab in the FTB launcher.

I won't give out the IP until someone that knows there way around ComputerCraft can reply (since i don't want to be acused of Advertising the server)

Thanks for reading

-ScottyNitroGold-

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Moved to Mod Discussion. Most definitely not a Tech Support query. No guarantees anybody else will answer, however.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
If all you're after is an information board, try this.

http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Industrial_Information_Panel

IndustrialInformationPanelLiquid.png

ScottyNitroGold

Jul 29, 2019
If all you're after is an information board, try this.

http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Industrial_Information_Panel

IndustrialInformationPanelLiquid.png

I understand these but the thing im after is,i have the spawn and you type code into the computer that is hooked up to the monitor and i need words on the monitor in differant size and colours as a welcoming plus i have questions setup which will also go on the monitors and the answer also on monitors around the area to answer,

ScottyNitroGold

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like you need a lot of help. I recommend (as others have) that you visit the ComputerCraft forum.

Also have a look here, since you (I'm making assumptions from context) likely need help with Lua as well.

I'm still awaiting a reply from ComputerCraft forums so that's why i'm asking on FTB Forum's to so it will get seen more and i can get this problem sorted,also thanks for Lua it didn't help much mainly cos of my bad understanding skills but i'll keep reading into it.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't take this the wrong way... but if you have "bad understanding skills" ComputerCraft may be a bit high up on the shelf for you to reach. Not that you shouldn't try, but you should be aware of what you're getting into. You will literally have to write a program to display that screen, and you're going to have to do it without modern conveniences.

ScottyNitroGold

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't take this the wrong way... but if you have "bad understanding skills" ComputerCraft may be a bit high up on the shelf for you to reach. Not that you shouldn't try, but you should be aware of what you're getting into. You will literally have to write a program to display that screen, and you're going to have to do it without modern conveniences.

Yeah i understand how hard it is i've been trying to program the screens on my server and failed every time so i came for help,and there's no way im using signs to welcome users or for the shops but i can't get anyone to join and help and i can't do it myself so i don't know were to go from here :/

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah i understand how hard it is i've been trying to program the screens on my server and failed every time so i came for help,and there's no way im using signs to welcome users or for the shops but i can't get anyone to join and help and i can't do it myself so i don't know were to go from here :/

I would try to learn it step by step. Programming something yourself is much more satisfying anyway.
Start off bye just printing something one the screens, then try to add more and more.
There are good tutorials on the CC forum.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it'd have been nice if Computercraft would provide some more basic programs with the mod that people with not much experience with coding and LUA could use.
I think I did hear at one point in a video of Direwolf about the idea of having computercraft disks spawn in dungeons with programs written on them

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
it'd have been nice if Computercraft would provide some more basic programs with the mod that people with not much experience with coding and LUA could use.
I think I did hear at one point in a video of Direwolf about the idea of having computercraft disks spawn in dungeons with programs written on them

Floppy Disks do actually spawn in dungeon chests. I have like 30 in my storage system, but didn't look at the contents yet.

ScottyNitroGold

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly are you trying to do? Just write a message? Or also have input?

Mainly all i need is words to welcome newcomers to the server,to hold questions to escape spawn and signs for the shops thats all really but i'm having 0 luck doing it myself or finding someone that can.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
I understand these but the thing im after is,i have the spawn and you type code into the computer that is hooked up to the monitor and i need words on the monitor in differant size and colours as a welcoming plus i have questions setup which will also go on the monitors and the answer also on monitors around the area to answer,

That's what he wants, there. Since he wants more than plain text on the terminal (or even just on a regular external monitor) things get much more complicated.

Seems to me he could make books that contain this information, though - but he'd need some way to prevent them from "wandering" off...

Or a whole shedload of signs.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. Writing to a monitor is fairly simple. Set down a monitor, and a computer beside it.

Code:
m = peripheral.wrap("monitorside")

while true do
m.clear()
m.setCursorPos(1,1)
m.write("Text")
end

And that will, if you replace monitor side with the side your monitor is on, left or top for example, print the word Text on the monitor. It's that simple. Yes, you can get more complex inputs and such, but I'm not skilled enough to do that. And the size of the monitor determines how much text you can put on it.

Another option is to make a book. Make a computer and printer, get some ink and paper. Then you can use edit Document, write it all out, then use print to print what you've written. It'll automatically detect the printer, so there's no need for fancy wrapping. Then use string to put the pages together and a piece of leather to make a book. As long as you save the 'program' you made to write the book, you'll have no trouble printing more if it goes missing. Probably an easier solution. Just remember that you'll need to watch the width of what you're writing, because it does not automatically wrap. This also applies for monitors.