I have some questions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
1. If I were to have a solid fueled firebox, with ONE firebox and ONE low pressure boiler, how much steam would it make, and how many hobbyist engines could it run?

2. How much wood would I need to keep it going? Would a forestry tree farm be enough?

3. If one forestry tree farm isn't enough, I'm thinking of making a Steve's Carts one. Could someone make a video on a Steve's carts one?

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
1. It would make 10 mB of steam per tick. Remember: Small Steam Boilers uses fuel less effective than big ones.
2. Over time it would be FAR more than enough.
3. Logging device (?) + cleaning device + solar engine + some storage. Place this modules inside cart. Next create 4x<putanynumber> track loop, propely set up cargo manager, supply cart with saplings and... that's all.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
steve's cart would be a luxury as a forestry farm would be more than sufficient to run even a larger LP boiler (in my experience anyway). You could even power the forester with biomass using the excess of saplings...so kinda free MJ.

Off point slightly...it's a shame you can't use solid and liquid fuel boxes in combination...i usually have a tank full of creosote lying around.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
steve's cart would be a luxury as a forestry farm would be more than sufficient to run even a larger LP boiler (in my experience anyway). You could even power the forester with biomass using the excess of saplings...so kinda free MJ.

Off point slightly...it's a shame you can't use solid and liquid fuel boxes in combination...i usually have a tank full of creosote lying around.
It would be nice to have, for instance, a boiler setting itself up in the way that a tank would, and a number of fireboxes underneath to keep it heated. The added complexity on coding, setup and maintenance would be exponentially more than it is at the moment (and that's quite extreme, for power gen).

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice to have, for instance, a boiler setting itself up in the way that a tank would, and a number of fireboxes underneath to keep it heated. The added complexity on coding, setup and maintenance would be exponentially more than it is at the moment (and that's quite extreme, for power gen).

True. It was merely a pipe dream. Having 2 boilers side-by-side looks ugly though, especially with pipes running everywhere. I wonder if the new TE liquiducts can be used to transport the steam...i would assume you can.

okaayha

Jul 29, 2019
1 boiler block will run any steam engines for 2,0 mj so that is 1 hobbyist engine
2 way more than enough
3 i use a steve's carts woodfarm to power my 3x3x3 boiler and still have massive overflow you shouldn't use only a solar engine because your cart might get stuck under leaves at least have a small coal engine at low priority it willl use the wood it harvests so its selfsustaining as for other parts a woodcutter and some internal storage is enough a cleaning machine won't be needed because it picks up everything trough the woodcutter

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
A Steve's Carts tree farming cart should have at a minimum:

- Standard hull
- Wood Cutter tool. This will also place saplings for you.
- A Coal Engine. A solar alone doesn't work, because it runs out of juice under tree leaves. But augmenting the coal engine with a solar will greatly extend your fuel.
- Internal Storage to hold the wood and apples. If you're not going to make a Cargo Manager, Side Chests + 3 internal storage is the way to go.
- Saplings to get started. I prefer oak.

You can also add a Fertilizer, but you don't need it.

Make the track in a loop on dirt, with at least 2 blocks of dirt between the tracks. Fill the cart with saplings and fuel (coal, wood planks, whatever) and go! :)

Cargo Managers combined with Advanced Detector Rails and Buildcraft pipes (or Factorization Routers or some other item transfer method) will potentially allow the cart to run indefinitely, producing ginormous amounts of wood, saplings and apples.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
A Steve's Carts tree farming cart should have at a minimum:

- Standard hull
- Wood Cutter tool. This will also place saplings for you.
- A Coal Engine. A solar alone doesn't work, because it runs out of juice under tree leaves. But augmenting the coal engine with a solar will greatly extend your fuel.
- Internal Storage to hold the wood and apples. If you're not going to make a Cargo Manager, Side Chests + 3 internal storage is the way to go.
- Saplings to get started. I prefer oak.

You can also add a Fertilizer, but you don't need it.

Make the track in a loop on dirt, with at least 2 blocks of dirt between the tracks. Fill the cart with saplings and fuel (coal, wood planks, whatever) and go! :)

Cargo Managers combined with Advanced Detector Rails and Buildcraft pipes (or Factorization Routers or some other item transfer method) will potentially allow the cart to run indefinitely, producing ginormous amounts of wood, saplings and apples.
In addition to this, you can add a solar panel to increase the efficiency of the engine (when it's just ticking over, it won't use fuel). I've not got the fertiliser running with a tree farm yet, though.

I've got a manned version running at the moment (two cargo managers, one for extraction, one for refueling), that produces WAY more wood/charcoal than we'll need in the short term. I've contemplated putting a holding track in as a shut-off for it.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, if I have ONE and ONLY ONE forestry tree farm, what's the biggest LP and HP boiler I could run, assuming I use all teh wood. And how many steam engines could I run, post for both boilers.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
How are you using your wood?

Burning the logs directly? Cutting it into planks and burning those? Using a sawmill for more planks? Making scaffolding out of it? Running the logs through coke ovens for charcoal and creosote oil?

jim johnstone

Jul 29, 2019
You can run a 2x2 (think it's called a 12L) version with 1 farm. I've tested it :) With 2 farms you can go up to the 3x3. Both versions run a steam turbine directly attached to it i.e. no pipes, just plonk it on the side. Ow, in both examples, the wood's been changed into charcoal via coke ovens.

I'll flesh this answer out a bit. A piece of wood burns, producing 750 EU. Charcoal 4000, which is roughly 5 times more output. Also a good idea to change it to charcoal as you get creosote as a by-product, used in railcraft for rail manufacture.

1 farm requires 12 ovens to handle the output (this being a basic farm without using fertiliser/forrester).