I can't decide where to live!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion it really does not matter anymore.. Because of mods like Mystcraft that are in FTB.. If you don't have it.. Just use Link books, or create a world that does.

But when it comes to building you want space you can build and not have to dig... But even digging can be simple with IC2 Filler machine. LOL. :)

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
1. Go age-surfing until you find crystals and a number of biome symbols.
2. Create ages with the biomes and geography you want around your home.
3. Build part of a house in each age.
4. Link the parts together with portals into a single non-contiguous, interdimensional, poly-located home.

You now live in every environment you want to.

Note: I have never tried this, and am not responsible if this goes horribly wrong or takes ages. (In fact, I expect that the latter will happen.)

The thing is that I want to have a base, with main IC2 mods, extractor, macerator, etc, and then start trying out new mods. That's precisely why i created this thread, so people could tell me advantages of certain biomes.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion it really does not matter anymore.. Because of mods like Mystcraft that are in FTB.. If you don't have it.. Just use Link books, or create a world that does.

But when it comes to building you want space you can build and not have to dig... But even digging can be simple with IC2 Filler machine. LOL. :)
But Buildcraft has the filler. Not IC2.

Oh an if you want to use thaumcraft, you're gunna have to turn off peaceful.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Peaceful doesn't stop harmful Flux effects except for the mob spawns. Thing is, the only two ways to clean up Flux are the Pure Node's automatic cleaning (but not all of your Flux will be in Pure Nodes, by a long shot) and killing the Wisps they spawn.

SCAL37

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can get pretty far without hostile mobs on TC3, you just won't get to see some of the cooler stuff.

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can get pretty far without hostile mobs on TC3, you just won't get to see some of the cooler stuff.
That means I will have to completely protect my base from mobs. Well, I guess it is a challenge. Another important thing. I can't find any thaumcraft item in the creative menu. Why's that so?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Build your floors out of any Xychoridite blocks, your walls out of Xychoridite Plates or Shields or Thaumcraft Warded Stone (creeper-proof), use a Warded Door, and make sure you don't build your house in such a way that a Aura Node is inside it and you will never have mob troubles inside your house. Mobs can't spawn on Xychoridite, and nothing can open a Warded Door except you or a very determined other player (via slowly breaking it or using an instant block breaking device).

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
Build your floors out of any Xychoridite blocks, your walls out of Xychoridite Plates or Shields or Thaumcraft Warded Stone (creeper-proof), use a Warded Door, and make sure you don't build your house in such a way that a Aura Node is inside it and you will never have mob troubles inside your house. Mobs can't spawn on Xychoridite, and nothing can open a Warded Door except you or a very determined other player (via slowly breaking it or using an instant block breaking device).

Which pack exactly do you recommend me to use with thaumcraft yet still have the original FTB pack experience? I am using this one...

http://imgur.com/Cokkg

But it has no Thaumcraft :(

Anyways, THANKS!

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Which pack exactly do you recommend me to use with thaumcraft yet still have the original FTB pack experience? I am using this one...

http://imgur.com/Cokkg

But it has no Thaumcraft :(

Anyways, THANKS!
Both the Mindcrack and Direwolf packs have both Xycraft and Thaumcraft. Mindcrack is probably closer to the Beta Pack A with more stuff added in. Direwolf is missing a few things, though with GregTech, many people see that as a good thing.

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
Desert. Solar power all day every day!
I always thought any place that has enough light will always produce EU w/ solar panels :S[DOUBLEPOST=1356960847][/DOUBLEPOST]
Both the Mindcrack and Direwolf packs have both Xycraft and Thaumcraft. Mindcrack is probably closer to the Beta Pack A with more stuff added in. Direwolf is missing a few things, though with GregTech, many people see that as a good thing.
I decided to go in with the Mindcrack pack, as I really enjoy watching Etho's vids, and that way I can make pretty much what he does, and learn that way :D

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
As a quick breakdown of vanilla biomes:

Plains - Lots of space, easy access to dyes and seeds, often a good place for pigs and cows, somewhat fewer caves.
Swamp - lots of sheep, oddly. And rubber trees, rubber trees everywhere. Plenty of easy water, and one of the better spelunking biomes.
Ocean - fewest caves, and no land mass. Best option for underwater bases, obviously, and squid ink. No hostiles though.
Mountain - tough terrain and lots of cows. absolute best for cave spawning, so a great quarry location. good views and a nice spot for wind power.
Desert - the glorious power of the sun. seems like more creepers. plenty of sand for glass, but no trees to speak of.
Island - For kicks, really. oceans have poor cave formation, and islands have few resources, unless theyre larger.
Forest - All the trees. Better rubber tree placement than most. occasionally sheep.
Jungle - plenty of mob hunting day or night. best place for treehouses if you're on vanilla. neutral in most other regards.

I think thats most of them; that's all in regards to IC2 mostly, but then again, most other mods make explicit mention of their biome interactions, if they have any at all.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Edge of two or three biomes is usually good.
Ocean or desert if you have low CPU
Swamp is very good overall: abundant slime balls, resin, clay
If you like bees and/or forestry backpacks, jungles are highly recommended (silk!)

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
As a quick breakdown of vanilla biomes:

Plains - Lots of space, easy access to dyes and seeds, often a good place for pigs and cows, somewhat fewer caves.
Swamp - lots of sheep, oddly. And rubber trees, rubber trees everywhere. Plenty of easy water, and one of the better spelunking biomes.
Ocean - fewest caves, and no land mass. Best option for underwater bases, obviously, and squid ink. No hostiles though.
Mountain - tough terrain and lots of cows. absolute best for cave spawning, so a great quarry location. good views and a nice spot for wind power.
Desert - the glorious power of the sun. seems like more creepers. plenty of sand for glass, but no trees to speak of.
Island - For kicks, really. oceans have poor cave formation, and islands have few resources, unless theyre larger.
Forest - All the trees. Better rubber tree placement than most. occasionally sheep.
Jungle - plenty of mob hunting day or night. best place for treehouses if you're on vanilla. neutral in most other regards.

I think thats most of them; that's all in regards to IC2 mostly, but then again, most other mods make explicit mention of their biome interactions, if they have any at all.

I believe i'm probably going to play in a desert. I really like it, and it's nice if i can find a cool flat area, next to a river, near a forest. It once happen in a survival world. Ha...

Thanks for your detailed explanations!

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I actually have a fairly decent seed I'm playing on right now. It's a green swamp biome next to a mountain ridge with a village. The village is on fairly flat land and has some beekeepers. Due to being a green swamp a lot of the trees are fairly tall, and there are plenty of rubber trees. There are numerous cows, pigs, and sheep nearby, and to the north there is a glacier biome. Slightly past the mountain ridge biome to the south is a desert. The village is near a ravine and directly above a tunnel network that contains an abandoned mine shaft.

The only problem I have had is the distinct lack of chickens -_- Anyone have some way to get them without either cheating them in or moving 1km or more? I know you could light up some grassy areas and pray for them, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

Basically, if it wasn't for the massive lack of chickens, and thus feathers, it would be the perfect seed ><