I can't decide where to live!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
I made a Vanilla world, where I spawned into a village, and then copied that world to FTB. Caught some loot, etc etc. I then went mining, and found a shit ton of coal, and some other ores. However I can't decide where to live! Which biome do you recommend me? I can't really decide, and I can't figure out the downsides of certain biomes. Could you help me please?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Cant say for individual biomes, but something flat-ish is a good idea unless you like digging. Snow biomes will mean ugly defrosted patches if you're careless with torches

Depends on your style-
I always go next to an ocean biome- looking for a steep dropoff into deep water.​
-Mostly because underwater builds look cool, but for normal people your quarries will hit the good stuff quicker and it kind of hides the holes.​
Nearby building supplies are a must (I love basalt and marble)​
Normally I like a decent view- so nearby mountains/tall forests are a must.​
This usually means walking several km in game (SMP) and burning through many seeds or using mystcraft (SSP)​
Don't pick an area based on finite resources (oil spouts)- when they run out you're left with a crappy area and no oil (and often a ruined ocean).

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Swamps are a huge windfall for getting started in IC2 due to the abundance of both Rubber Trees and Slimes. Additionally, if you decide to go into IC2 crops, I believe Swamp biomes get the highest nutrition bonus.

Deserts are fantastic if you want rapid progression through Thaumcraft IF you can find all its related features. The pyramids spawn huge aura nodes, which can limit the area you spread Flux to and thus make it easier to clean (especially if you can work your way towards making a Pure node eat it), Cinderpearl plants or whatever they're called give you a very finite supply of early Blaze Powder, a desert village might have a Thaumaturge villager, or you can try to breed them for one to get those precious Knowledge Fragments, and of course Sand is one of the most versatile materials where Thaumcraft is concerned. Glass provides the Crystal essence, Smooth Sandstone provides the Wealth/Luxury essence, and the hieroglyphic Sandstone provides the Vis essence.

Red rock areas give you access to a lot of clay if you need it, which is useful for quite a variety of things including Coke Ovens, getting started with Factorization, Thaumcraft Phials for essence management, Alloy Furnaces, and solid fueled boilers. These tend to be mountainous, and mountains are great locations for Redpower 2 windmills and mean that much less pillaring up if you want to build the IC2 wind towers for EU generation.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I always go next to an ocean biome- looking for a steep dropoff into deep water.​
-Mostly because underwater builds look cool, but for normal people your quarries will hit the good stuff quicker and it kind of hides the holes.​
^^ mostly this, but I also like to be building on flat and be on the stronghold ring. I'd also like a volcano in view although this is technically covered by the basalt requirement.​

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a very aesthetic sort of person, I never really think about what the area can do for me, when I need something I just wander away from my base. For this reason I tend to go for mountainous biomes to build in. I love mountain forts cut into the rock, especially in Alpine biomes. I was quite lucky in my FTB Beta world, that I got a lovely big meadow at spawn with an Alpine Biome right next to it, so had my wintery fort high up in the mountains with a rather nice view of meadows down below.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like wide open fields, so that I can build a center building and a courtyard, then add a segregated building for each of the mods - I love my bee breeding building!

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
If you spawned the world in vanilla, I would take note of the seed and re-gen it in FTB if you're still early game. Those pre-gen'd chunks are not going to have tin/copper/silver/marble and other blocks that come from mods.

I personally like living at the border of flat lands + desert if I can find it. Gives a little diversity, and is flat for building. That and I can go gather up cacti vs dealing with a farm at early stages.

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
Cant say for individual biomes, but something flat-ish is a good idea unless you like digging. Snow biomes will mean ugly defrosted patches if you're careless with torches

Depends on your style-
This usually means walking several km in game (SMP) and burning through many seeds or using mystcraft (SSP)​
Don't pick an area based on finite resources (oil spouts)- when they run out you're left with a crappy area and no oil (and often a ruined ocean).

Indeed, I believe oceans are good, because if I need more space to build, I can always build a platform (or have a turtle doing that for me). I'm still kind of undecided. And I play in SSP, yes. Also, thanks for the advice on oil :p[DOUBLEPOST=1356704516][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you spawned the world in vanilla, I would take note of the seed and re-gen it in FTB if you're still early game. Those pre-gen'd chunks are not going to have tin/copper/silver/marble and other blocks that come from mods.

I personally like living at the border of flat lands + desert if I can find it. Gives a little diversity, and is flat for building. That and I can go gather up cacti vs dealing with a farm at early stages.

I don't really care walking a bit, and besides I used the Vanilla world because i wanted that village, to save me some time to look for one. And I play in peaceful, so testificates aren't going to die. :D I *may* go with a place near da ocean, so if I need more space, I can always make a big platform.[DOUBLEPOST=1356704578][/DOUBLEPOST]
Swamps are a huge windfall for getting started in IC2 due to the abundance of both Rubber Trees and Slimes. Additionally, if you decide to go into IC2 crops, I believe Swamp biomes get the highest nutrition bonus.

Deserts are fantastic if you want rapid progression through Thaumcraft IF you can find all its related features. The pyramids spawn huge aura nodes, which can limit the area you spread Flux to and thus make it easier to clean (especially if you can work your way towards making a Pure node eat it), Cinderpearl plants or whatever they're called give you a very finite supply of early Blaze Powder, a desert village might have a Thaumaturge villager, or you can try to breed them for one to get those precious Knowledge Fragments, and of course Sand is one of the most versatile materials where Thaumcraft is concerned. Glass provides the Crystal essence, Smooth Sandstone provides the Wealth/Luxury essence, and the hieroglyphic Sandstone provides the Vis essence.

Red rock areas give you access to a lot of clay if you need it, which is useful for quite a variety of things including Coke Ovens, getting started with Factorization, Thaumcraft Phials for essence management, Alloy Furnaces, and solid fueled boilers. These tend to be mountainous, and mountains are great locations for Redpower 2 windmills and mean that much less pillaring up if you want to build the IC2 wind towers for EU generation.

I do need to take a look at that thaumcraft mod. How is it exactly?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I do need to take a look at that thaumcraft mod. How is it exactly?
It does a great job of filling the niche of an alchemist or, well, thaumaturge researching the hows of magical artifacts. The research system does a good job of simulating the concept very well, the Thaumanomicon provides almost all the information you'd ever need on the mod (more mods should follow its example), and the various toys you can make are either very fun or very useful, depending.

For someone trying to maximize the hard recipe settings of various mods, the Infernal Furnace provides an "early" means of increasing ore yield, depending on how your research goes, as well as providing food nuggets which provide little food but can be eaten rapidly, being much safer to fill up on during a fight. Once you've obtained and started to make Crystal Clusters, this provides yet another option for "free" smelting, but you aren't likely to notice the costs of reasonable use even without Crystal Clusters.

The Boots of the Traveler only have competition from the Quantum armor set and is the only thing that lets you walk up one block "ledges," as well as provide faster swimming. If you progress through all the mods at an even pace, you're quite likely to get these before you get the Quantum Leggings and Boots.

The Hungry Chest combines the functionality of an obsidian pipe and a chest into one block. The Brain in a Jar collects exp that drops nearby it, such as from melee turtle mob farms or smelting things in the Infernal Furnace, and you can then collect the exp back from it at your leisure, allowing you to turn your mob farms into exp farms as well. The Arcane Ear provides wirelessly transmitted redstone signals via note blocks at a relatively lower cost than the Wireless Redstone mod items, and they don't require their own world-wide frequency. Nitor is a fairly cheap placeable light source that can float in the air without support and won't get in your way if you try to walk through it. Golems provide a thematic alternative to basic tubes and pipes that take up less space, as well as auto-farming without the need of supplying some kind of energy. So on and so forth. And judging from what Azanor has said about it so far, it's not even 50% feature complete.

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
Its this awesome!
LOL[DOUBLEPOST=1356708552][/DOUBLEPOST]
It does a great job of filling the niche of an alchemist or, well, thaumaturge researching the hows of magical artifacts. The research system does a good job of simulating the concept very well, the Thaumanomicon provides almost all the information you'd ever need on the mod (more mods should follow its example), and the various toys you can make are either very fun or very useful, depending.

For someone trying to maximize the hard recipe settings of various mods, the Infernal Furnace provides an "early" means of increasing ore yield, depending on how your research goes, as well as providing food nuggets which provide little food but can be eaten rapidly, being much safer to fill up on during a fight. Once you've obtained and started to make Crystal Clusters, this provides yet another option for "free" smelting, but you aren't likely to notice the costs of reasonable use even without Crystal Clusters.

The Boots of the Traveler only have competition from the Quantum armor set and is the only thing that lets you walk up one block "ledges," as well as provide faster swimming. If you progress through all the mods at an even pace, you're quite likely to get these before you get the Quantum Leggings and Boots.

The Hungry Chest combines the functionality of an obsidian pipe and a chest into one block. The Brain in a Jar collects exp that drops nearby it, such as from melee turtle mob farms or smelting things in the Infernal Furnace, and you can then collect the exp back from it at your leisure, allowing you to turn your mob farms into exp farms as well. The Arcane Ear provides wirelessly transmitted redstone signals via note blocks at a relatively lower cost than the Wireless Redstone mod items, and they don't require their own world-wide frequency. Nitor is a fairly cheap placeable light source that can float in the air without support and won't get in your way if you try to walk through it. Golems provide a thematic alternative to basic tubes and pipes that take up less space, as well as auto-farming without the need of supplying some kind of energy. So on and so forth. And judging from what Azanor has said about it so far, it's not even 50% feature complete.
It looks SOOOO awesome! I suppose that direwolf20 made a review about this. IT LOOKS EPIC!

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to take root in a desert biome for the first time ever! I'm digging it so far, but building underground is a bit tricky with all the moving sand haha. Its a neat place to be though. No rain, lots of mobs to kill (especially Enderman), wide open flat areas and lots of early cacti for BC pipes =).

I was even able to get some grass blocks to spread (man that was a chore), but it looks awesome! I've got a little mini oasis started.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
It looks SOOOO awesome! I suppose that direwolf20 made a review about this. IT LOOKS EPIC!
Mod spotlight part 1:

Mod spotlight part 2:

DW20 does his usual nice breakdown of basics. Just think when all the features are in... :eek:

Have a nice day. :D

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't, mostly. It adds goodies to dungeon loot, which effect the pyramids, and it places nodes according to the vegetation it detects, above witch huts, and in the middle of the pyramids.

SCAL37

Jul 29, 2019
1. Go age-surfing until you find crystals and a number of biome symbols.
2. Create ages with the biomes and geography you want around your home.
3. Build part of a house in each age.
4. Link the parts together with portals into a single non-contiguous, interdimensional, poly-located home.

You now live in every environment you want to.

Note: I have never tried this, and am not responsible if this goes horribly wrong or takes ages. (In fact, I expect that the latter will happen.)

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
An interesting concept actually. Utilizing portals and linkbooks, there is no reason I can think of that it would be an issue at all.

Just lots of extra chunk load times from frequent dimension hops. Depending on your PC performance, a ChickenChunks 1-chunk loader should be enough, if you didn't go with a regular size chunk loader. Should work just fine really. :D