I can connect to server, but my friend can't

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
F

FuYo

Title I can connect to server, but my friend can't

Launcher Type Twitch Desktop App

Modpack SkyFactory 3

Modpack version 3.0.13

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file No log

Details of the issue I can connect to my SkyFactory 3 server just find with the "localhost" IP, but my friend can't connect using my public IP. I have tried as many fixes as I could, but it still would not work.
>I have port forwarded
>I have tried disabling my firewall
>I have allowed Java(TM) Platform SE binary through my firewall
>I have the latest version of Java
>I have done the basic "restart the server" stuff
>I have tried just about everything I have found on the internet
Please help...

Last edited by a moderator:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
If you can connect using the localhost then you know the server is running, then there's only local firewall and the portforward that needs to be fixed.

If it's windows firewall you can use PowerShell to add the port (open Powershell as administrator, and change the port in the command if you use anything else than default):

New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "Allow 25565 for Minecraft Server" -Direction Inbound -Action Allow -Profile Any -LocalPort 25565 -Protocol TCP

Portforward - check this site out:
www.portforward.com

If you still have issues, contact your ISP and make sure that they don't block traffic or something like that.

Good luck!

F

FuYo

If you can connect using the localhost then you know the server is running, then there's only local firewall and the portforward that needs to be fixed.

If it's windows firewall you can use PowerShell to add the port (open Powershell as administrator, and change the port in the command if you use anything else than default):

New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "Allow 25565 for Minecraft Server" -Direction Inbound -Action Allow -Profile Any -LocalPort 25565 -Protocol TCP

Portforward - check this site out:
www.portforward.com

If you still have issues, contact your ISP and make sure that they don't block traffic or something like that.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help!

I went to canyouseeme.org/ to see if I port forwarded correctly, and it appears like I did.
canyouseeme.PNG

And this is what happened when I tried to put the new rule in PowerShell.
powershell.PNG

F

FuYo

Never mind, after some deep digging, I found out that my router uses the IPv4 Address and not the public IP. Thanks for helping anyway

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden

The reason that the firewall rule didn't work was because you didn't start PowerShell as administrator - that's why it states "Access is denied".

Your public IP-address is most likely a IPv4 address.