I am oldschool MC player and I am overwhelmed by FTB Beyond, need some help.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
K

Kris_dnb

Hi, I have not played MC in few years and last time playet FTB lite a bit, I want to get into FTB Beyond and explore all of it, but after playing for few days I play it like regular minecraft as learning curve is quite steep, but that's what I am looking for but could do with some help, I do search all the tutorials but it's hard to understand what would be the most efficient machine to use in each case when there is so many.

What I am looking for is for a chat, discord channel, TS, where people hang around and I could always ask some questions. Could you provide some.

Thanks,
Kris

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I got into the modded minecraft stuff relatively recently myself and I totally agree that it can be overwhelming. Especially any of the kitchen sink mod packs (I started with FTB Infinity, which is the spiritual predecessor of Beyond).

From my searches, this is about the most active forum I have found on the subject. There's not a lot of chatter. My recommendation is to watch some let's plays for ideas of what you can do. I didn't personally go that route, so I don't have any particular ones to recommend.

What I did was focus on one mod at a time, and I spent my considerable free time at work browsing wikis and reading up on each of these mods and implemented the bits and pieces I could wrap my head around one bit at a time before the big picture became clear. Then I pestered everyone here with a constant bombardment of questions in the ask a simple question thread to fill in the gaps :p

But, honestly, I probably could have saved a lot of that time by watching videos. Nearly every major mod has tutorial videos or their own wikis with tutorials as well.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Or watch someone popular (like Direwolf) play. You can learn a lot from him too. Also spotlights are useful
I'm going to second @McJty here - between Let's Plays and mod spotlights (especially DW20's), I've managed to keep up in spite of the huge changes many mods have experienced, and the deep complexity involved in some. The other thing I do is to keep an eye on the changelogs for mods on Curseforge - if those are well kept, they can help keep you up to date when things have changed since the LPs, spotlights, or wiki articles are written. (wikis were a big help for me in the past, but are growing increasingly difficult to curate I imagine)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The other thing that may or may not help is to join an active server and ask the other people on the server for help. Or ask them question while you are in the middle of it all.

Evil Boy

Jul 29, 2019
Or watch someone popular (like Direwolf) play. You can learn a lot from him too. Also spotlights are useful

^^^This. I go through Direwolf's LPs but also mod spotlights when I need something specific. I learn better by seeing and doing than by reading so his YouTube channel has been a big help to me.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'd usually rather play than watch someone else play, do I had a hard time getting into Let's Plays. Mod Spotlights have definitely helped not only guide me through issues I've had in certain circumstances, but have occasionally helped me decide if a mod was worth delving into fully or just skimming off the most useful bits.

The thing that has helped me the most (outside of NEI/JEI) are in game guide books. Tinker's Construct has a series of books that do a good job of detailing how the mod works. Immersive Engineering and RFTools have books that are worth their weight in diamonds. Botania has the Lexicon that gives you the basics. There are more out there, so if you have a question about a mod, check to see if it comes with in game documentation. It can really save on hair pulling.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Step 1: Don't worry about efficiency. (Especially not if you're watching Direwolf.) Most machines will do the job, and if they're not perfect, they'll do the job well enough.

Step 2: Pick one mod to start with. Dive into that first, and then see where it has shortfalls. Tinker's Construct has an excellent selection of tools for mining and wood cutting, but it's ore multiplication starts to fall short after a while because you need constant lava. Most mods have changed, but not so much that they're unrecognizable.

While the Item Subsets of NEI are gone, you can look up specific mods by typing @ and then the name of the mod. So '@Applied Energistics' for example.

McJty also has one or two mods in the pack. (Though honestly once you get into his, you don't need any of the rest of the pack.)

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
One thing to remember with packs like Beyond and DW20 is that there are multiple ways to do almost everything. There is no right way or wrong way. at 1st do what you can, if you have the MATs to do an EnderIO SAG mill go that route. If you have the MATS to do Thermal Expansion/Dynamics Pulvarizer, go that way.

After a while, make the one you didn't go with and see which you like better or who h goes with your base/build better.

I usually start a map with a base idea and build towards it, a castle, a Datacenter, a regular house with a HUGE basement.

If something isn't working, swap it out, have fun.