I am horrible at writing MystCraft Ages. Help!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I readily admit that I am apparently doing something horribly wrong while trying to write a specific set of Mystcraft Ages. I am trying to make the following ages, but keep running across HORRIBLE instability problems.

Age 1> Void Age. Normal everything else (weather, time, sun, moon, lighting, etc.)
Age 2> Lava (Ocean) World. Normal everything else (weather, time, sun, moon, lighting, etc.)
Age 3> Dense Ores Mining World. Normal everything else (weather, time, sun, moon, lighting, terrain, etc.)

I think with the Dense Ores world.. I'll just have to settle for unstable. I am suspecting that this age attribute will always force instability at some level, but I would love to confirm this. In regards to the Void Age, nothing I do will make one without instability.

Can someone help me figure out what order of things I have incorrect?

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
I like a challenge, but I consider this new writing system a nuisance more than a challenge... Wandering around looking for pages is just annoying. I just don't bother using Mystcraft any longer.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
afaik it is all about the correct order and supplying enough detail (the more detail the less likely to be unstable). Though I am not that experienced yet with mystcraft, I've seen direwolf20 do it in one of the most recent season 4 SMP vids he made a lava ocean world that was stable, you could try to just copy what he did.
One trick of which I do know that works: when you are on a server you have the mystcraft commands of which 1 is to toggle stability for the worlds ;) I did that to my mystcraft linking age.

Reactions: PCPuddin

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Lava (Ocean) is anouther unstable option is I recall.

For a void age, make sure you have the right order, are not missing any simbols, and end with clear modifyers. I didn't see a biome and controler listed for it, so that would be my first guess if your not putitng symbols the wrong way.

And since you didn't mention it in any of them, stars /are/ required.

And anouther common mistake is you can NOT chnage the sun/moon colour. Just star color and sunset colour.

ryter78

Jul 29, 2019
Not much help from me, as I'm not all that good with Mystcraft, but watch Direwolf20's mod spotlight for it, it helps.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I made a guide! Nobody looks at it: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/mystcraft-book-writing-guide.14349/[DOUBLEPOST=1363828992][/DOUBLEPOST]But, here is the order you need for void: Void, X Biome, X Biome Modifier (Single Biome if it is just one), Full Length, Normal Sun, Full Length, Normal Moon, Full Length, Normal Stars, Standard Lighting, Normal Weather, Clear Modifers (If you have it). Follow that exactly.

Reactions: KirinDave

Mobott

Jul 29, 2019
I would love it if Mystcraft added some ingame method of checking how much instability an age would have, or what needs to be more specific.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I would love it if Mystcraft added some ingame method of checking how much instability an age would have, or what needs to be more specific.
That defeats the point. It is supposed to be random, unknowable. (Instablility)

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I made a guide! Nobody looks at it: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/mystcraft-book-writing-guide.14349/[DOUBLEPOST=1363828992][/DOUBLEPOST]But, here is the order you need for void: Void, X Biome, X Biome Modifier (Single Biome if it is just one), Full Length, Normal Sun, Full Length, Normal Moon, Full Length, Normal Stars, Standard Lighting, Normal Weather, Clear Modifers (If you have it). Follow that exactly.

I am reading your guide as we speak! AND.. thank you for denoting the "Full Length" detail, I've been missing that!

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
That guide is also riddled with mistakes. All sources from the offical (developers) wiki and confirmed via ingame experiance. - http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:symbol

The length symbol is /not/ needed for suns.
The biomes do NOT need to go before the Biome Controler
Stars are MANDITORY, regardless if you can have a showing moon/nighttime
The link you posted goes to a page that hasn't been made yet.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That defeats the point. It is supposed to be random, unknowable. (Instablility)

No, it's not. MystCraft is designed around the Myst universe, where writing ages is one of the highest art forms/sciences, and as such is extremely hard. The ability to detect how unstable something would be just from looking at it would defeat the purpose of making it difficult, not defeat the purpose of it being randomism (as the game will often add random symbols just to duck your ducks). Unknowable and unstable are not aspects of MystCraft that are required, as you learn the art of writing, you'll end up knowing and creating more stable ages.

Now, a mechanic that made the MystCraft Villager able to check a creative book and tell you what's buggered about it would be interesting. Perhaps a block for it that only spawns in their homes, and cannot be picked up at all which can check to see if you're missing a key element, and the like. Perhaps have it cost something like MystCraft crystals to use (for power), or something similar.

And a general instability detector would be useful to be able to bring with you so you could determine if an age you pop into is unstable or not, so you don't end up building in an age that is falling apart. It should, of course, be a decently expensive item.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
That guide is also riddled with mistakes. All sources from the offical (developers) wiki and confirmed via ingame experiance. - http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:symbol

The length symbol is /not/ needed for suns.
The biomes do NOT need to go before the Biome Controler
Stars are MANDITORY, regardless if you can have a showing moon/nighttime
From my experience, the Biomes DO need to go before the Biome Controller.
It does say that stars are "MandItory." The length symbol does need to be with suns, from my experience. Full Length wouldn't be there if lengths weren't mandatory.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:symbols

Was missing an s on the link for some reason.
I can assure you the official wiki is the best source for this. The biomes are /not/ modifiers. it's a popular misconception.
The guide says stars are mandatory if you have a moon at night. This implys you don't need it when you don't have a moon. This is false.
Sun length is also not needed. Your experience is incorrect.
Also clear modifiers is /mandatory/ not just helpful in 0.10.0

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:symbols

Was missing an s on the link for some reason.
I can assure you the official wiki is the best source for this. The biomes are /not/ modifiers. it's a popular misconception.
The guide says stars are mandatory if you have a moon at night. This implys you don't need it when you don't have a moon. This is false.
Sun length is also not needed. Your experience is incorrect.
Also clear modifiers is /mandatory/ not just helpful in 0.10.0
The Biomes are not the modifiers. As stated in Dire's vids, the Modifiers go after the Non-Modifier. So, the Biome goes before the Modifier (Single Biome, Tiled Biome, etc.).

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
That's wrong on two levels.

First, neither are modifiers.
Second, as stated in Dire's vid the Modifier goes FIRST. It is 'Iron Ore(Modifyer) Tendrils' as taken from the wiki /and/ your guide.

....Not entirely sure why you're contradicting yourself.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. I guess I was taking off the notion that the biome controller was a modifier. I need to refer to myself before I make a statement. Again.