I am confused about sever memory.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Neko77025

Jul 29, 2019
So i am trying to run A small personal sever for 5 / 6 ppl. I am getting Issues around Quarrys .. now these are set up right (nothing falling on ground .. and all trash is going into void pipes ASAP (trash dose not go more then 1 pipe up before hitting A void pipe)

When I run the sever I use the "Sever Start 4GB"

In the sever box it reads Memory use: 105 mb (35% free) {this is not running 4gb}

How do I make it use all 4gb ? ..

System Specs
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.8Ghz (all x8 cores)
8gb DDR3 2133
Win 7 64bit W/ 64bit java
Running OS / Sever on SSD

(Vid cards are 2x 6970s)

Asmodee

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you can try:
Configuration panel -> program -> java
In the java tab->visualize
In the execution parameter row try to write : -Xmx4G

Hope it will help

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I see what the issue is. Are you actually experiencing any lag? What is the problem you're having.

The server will only use what it needs and won't fill up 4 gigs just because you give it 4 gigs. If you really want to try and force it to lock up 4 gigs of ram you could edit the command line in the batch file:

-Xms4G -Xmx4G

The -Xms setting tells java how much RAM to allocate when it first starts. The -Xmx setting tells java how much RAM it can use as a maximum.

Neko77025

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, yea I take huge FPS hits around Quarry and Use of mystcraft portals (world anchors on both sides so should be loaded)

Did not know the sever would not use the full 4gb at launch .. i will edit the -Xms to start with 1gb and see if that helps (cant login too MC right now so will try later)

Should also note, I am playing from sever (my comp) at the same time. So my comp is Sever and Client, but this should not be issues I have done this many times without FTB

Set up would be like this
Running Sever with my comp (Sever Start 4GB)
Run FTB launcher set too 2gb of mem
have Sphax 128 running

For the most part I get 130+ FPS
but Quarrys and Portals drop me too like 5 (not every time) .. sometimes i have too log out and restart the sever.

Wondering if I should run sever and client off different HD / SSDs ?

Window 7-U-64bit
AMD FX-8150 @ 4800Mhz W/ Corsair H80
Asus Corsshair V Formula ROG
G.Skill DRR3 2133 4x4Gb
2x MSI Lighting 6970 @ 1000Mhz (only 1x running for FTB/ MC)
Creative Labs X-fi [ PCI ]
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD (SF-2281)
WD 750gb HD
OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W Gold
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Try using this launch code in a .bat file

Code:
@ECHO OFF
SET BINDIR=%~dp0CD /D "%BINDIR%"
java.exe -Xincgc -Xmx4G -jar Minecraft.jar

Replace the "Minecraft.jar" to the name of your server .jar file.

Wondering if I should run sever and client off different HD / SSDs ?

Yes this will probebly help. If you are running both from a SSD you are fine but if you run them both from a HDD i could see issues poping up in high impact area's