[HowTo] easy Witch Spawner for infinite Redstone + Glowstone

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
Witches normally only spawn at the witch huts in Swamp biomes, which are exceedingly rare as they don't spawn in any of the ExtraBiomes swamp-type biomes, only in the vanilla Swamp. And even then, they are rare in Vanilla swamps. Finding one can be exceedingly time consuming.
However, there's an easy way to get a Witch with the Twilight Forest mod, simply use Transformation Powder on a Skeletal Druid and it will turn it into a Witch.
Here's how: First, go to the Twilight Forest and find some Transformation Powder, which can be found quite frequently in treasure chests in Hollow Hills, Lich Towers, etc. Then find an Druid Hut (also quite common to find these) which has a Skeletal Druid spawner, and use the Transformation Powder on the Skeletal Druids that spawn. Poof, they turn into a Witch!
You can make a Soul Shard from these transformed Witches, which is very valuable as Witches drop Redstone and Glowstone Dust. It will however be difficult to find enough Transformation Powder to fully fill a Soul Shard; alternatively you can use the Anvil repair to combine multiple soul shards into a single one.
Other useful transformations include turning a Redcap into a Villager, and Wraiths turn into Blazes.
Helpful info:
Druid Hut - http://twilightforest.wikispaces.com/Landmarks#Druid%20Hut
Skeletal Druid - http://twilightforest.wikispaces.com/Monsters#Skeletal%20Druid
Transformation Powder - http://twilightforest.wikispaces.com/Transformation+Powder
Good luck and happy hunting!

[xpost from /r/feedthebeast]

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
I know, made one from a witch hut, but your idea sounds more adventurous and fun!
Hmmm, did not know you could combine soul shards I'm an anvil?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
turning wraiths into blazes I think would be a waste of powder as 10 minutes in the neither will net you multiple blaze spawners.

But the druid into witches sounds epic. I have yet to find a natural witch hut anywhere in my world.

wolvenmoon

Jul 29, 2019
So I could go ninja a witch, then 'repair' the witch soul shard with my tier 5 zombie soul shard and get a tier 5 witch shard? Epic!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
turning wraiths into blazes I think would be a waste of powder as 10 minutes in the neither will net you multiple blaze spawners.

But the druid into witches sounds epic. I have yet to find a natural witch hut anywhere in my world.
Amidst shows the location.

And here is how you make a very good grinder/farm :).

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Amidst shows the location.

And here is how you make a very good grinder/farm :).

Yes I am aware. I try to avoid using things like admist to find stuff. I enjoy finding stuff on my own when I can.

And yes DocM77s farm is epic. Though to be honest if I found a hut I would only farm it until i got a shard to teir 5 and then just build a witch grinder elsewhere.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I am aware. I try to avoid using things like admist to find stuff. I enjoy finding stuff on my own when I can.

And yes DocM77s farm is epic. Though to be honest if I found a hut I would only farm it until i got a shard to teir 5 and then just build a witch grinder elsewhere.
Same here man.

Still, if it gets ya to that point faster, then why not, right? I mean, you could just use water to make all of the spawned monsters to the nether, put a two deep hole on the other side, cover it in open fence gates, afk while you're in work (or whatever) and come back home for some easy pickings.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Already do something like that. I have a mob reactor made up of multiple teir 5 shards at the moment. And I have that fill barrels and the over flow is going to get piped into recyclers and used for power in my current base. I would just plug the witch into that if I got one.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I actually found a witch's hut, and after waiting 15min there was never any spawn.

I didn't even set a waypoint, don't know if I could find it again.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I actually found a witch's hut, and after waiting 15min there was never any spawn.

I didn't even set a waypoint, don't know if I could find it again.
Watch the vid, it explains it pretty well.

What happened was that all of the spawn slots have been taken by other hostile mobs.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Do witch huts spawn in Mystctraft Ages? I have a stable single biome swamp age, I'll have to take a look around. And as it has no caves, there should be no spawn competition. Do witches spawn in darkness?

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
You can't use Amidst to find Witch Hut if you have ExtraBiomesXL, they won't be where the app indicates they should as the biome will be totally different. If you know how to make Amidst work with ExtraBiomesXL though, I'm sure everyone would like to know!

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
You can't use Amidst to find Witch Hut if you have ExtraBiomesXL, they won't be where the app indicates they should as the biome will be totally different. If you know how to make Amidst work with ExtraBiomesXL though, I'm sure everyone would like to know!

AMIDST has, in my experience, been 100% accurate at predicting possible witch hut locations. EBXL can override that, but witch huts will not spawn somewhere that AMIDST didn't predict. At the very least, you can make a list of locations to check. It's hardly a perfect solution, but it does mean you can avoid aimless wandering if you want to. Plenty of people enjoy the exploration, though, so it's a matter of personal preference.

EDIT: for clarity, when I say "possible" I mean if I turn off the biome conflicting with the witch hut and recreate the world, the witch hut will be there.

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
Right but that's the problem: I checked over 20 Witch Hut locations according to Amidst, and none were Swamp biomes. It's possible it could be a Swamp but it seems exceedingly rare, and Witch Huts aren't exactly common in the first place. So I suppose it's technically possible, just highly unlikely.
Yes, you could disable ExtraBiomesXL biomes one by one until you get a Swamp / Witch Hut, but it takes a new map (or you get funky chunk borders due to world gen changing) and also then you don't have those disabled biomes generating in your world anymore.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Right but that's the problem: I checked over 20 Witch Hut locations according to Amidst, and none were Swamp biomes. It's possible it could be a Swamp but it seems exceedingly rare, and Witch Huts aren't exactly common in the first place. So I suppose it's technically possible, just highly unlikely.
Yes, you could disable ExtraBiomesXL biomes one by one until you get a Swamp / Witch Hut, but it takes a new map (or you get funky chunk borders due to world gen changing) and also then you don't have those disabled biomes generating in your world anymore.

Yeah, I only did the turn off biomes thing for testing purposes. My point was more that AMIDST is still a helpful tool as it drastically narrows the area you need to search to find a witch hut. All the more so if you start a creative world using the same seed as your normal world and tp to those possible locations to check before going adventuring in your survival world. It pretty much eliminates the exploration part of the whole experience, so I don't really recommend it. If you're sick of exploring and just want to find a witch, though, you can check an area that spans tens of thousands of blocks in about 10 minutes with a combination of AMIDST and creative mode.