How Well Are You Known?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
[-lim h->(pi/2) tan x]/10

You wanna go, bro? Huh? You want a math war? Is that what you want? You think you stand a chance against me? HAVE YOU SEEN MY SIG?!?!

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
IntegralForWitherblaster.gif

I do not fear you.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
9.011316438/10
I do, actually. It's one tenth the mass of a unit sphere whose density is given by (1+sin(theta))^e, where theta is the polar angle (aka longitude) in radians.

Note that the e is the exponent, not the base of an exponential as it usually is.

Reactions: xTordX

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
9/10

9/10
Integrals aren't as annoying as moar integrals? Your words confuse me.
The complexity of solving a nested integral problem goes up much faster than the number of integrals involved.

In order to find the mass of an arbitrary 3D shape with a given density function, you first need to first define the boundaries in a particular way, then integrate the density function multiplied by a "constant" expression that depends on the coordinate system you're using (for Cartesian coords, it's just 1; for spherical, it's rho^2 * sin(theta)) three times, keeping track of which variables you're treating as constants and which ones drop out because you're integrating them, and then you might find that one of the integrals is impossible to solve, so you have to go back to square one and define the boundaries a different way. There's six different ways to do that (for three dimensions), so if you've got a problem where only one works and you don't have a very clear idea of what you're doing, you might guess wrong five times before finding the right one.

I'm glad I'm through with Calc III.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
-e^(i pi)

What if you want to compute the integral of some function on a surface? Surch as the surface area which is just constant 1 integrated over the surface.
You need to parametrize the surface, making sure that your parametrization is an embedding. You then compute the square root of the Gram determinant g and then you can proceed to compute the integral like Someone Else 37 described.
The difficulty in often lies in handling the integral boundaries correctly. It's the easiest if you an transform it so that they become a cuboid.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
8/10

I've calculated that the average of all the numbers ever is undefined. Because negative infinity plus positive infinity is zero, divided by twice infinity. Anyway. Just your strange tip for the day...

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
9/10

Because negative infinity plus positive infinity is zero
not really :p at least not how it is commonly defined.
and even if it was, if you divided it by twice infinity it would still be zero.
Anway, it is indeed undefined.

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
And here's another thread taken over by math. Good job ljfa. You become a better and better hijacker every day.

Reactions: ljfa