How To Remove Mods & What Should I Remove

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

thejpprojects

Jul 29, 2019
Hey
im a youtuber (TheJPprojects) and was wanting to start a modded LP, what i was going to do was add mods every 10 episodes or so, but the issue is i couldnt add any mods that require terrain gen later on, as it would mean i have to travel miles.
SO
i decided to just edit the FTB mod pack to make it not so full and take it some less important mods.

Now i need to know how to do that haha and also what mods do you recommend i remove, that doesnt add to much/lags the game or is similar to other mods in the pack.

Thankyou appreciate the help

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The only time a mod should cause lag is when worldgen is running or a lot of its blocks are placed in the world. Otherwise, unused content from a loaded mod should not cause any lag on a loaded world.

One of the cardinal rules about streaming MC is to always, always do so in pre-generated chunks. You don't want to be waiting on the server and/or your client to be running expensive worldgen while streaming. The easiest way to do this is set view distance to the farthest ("very far ?") and fly around a bit. This will keep worldgen from running while you stream.

Ditto the Nether, The End, or any MystCraft age. If possible, enter the other dimension and fly around a bit.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure more mods affects load time.

As for removing mods, what do you use? I don't use Computercraft, so I remove it and the Peripherals. Due to lag issues I usually remove Twilight Forest (using Windows XP, so only 2G of RAM). And since it's purely cosmetic, I remove Backtools.

Basically, if it's something you never use or rarely use and can live without, I'd remove it.

As for how, in the Launcher there's a tab labeled "Edit Mod Pack". Click that and you can choose to Enable and Disable individual mods. Though you do need to disable some mods if they require another mod you disabled.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Removing any mod which adds in-game items/blocks will cause a bit of headache when joining a server.
Pure client sided mods with nothing "in-game" should be ok- to name a few:
Hats
Minimap
Backtools
NEI
Personally I drop the first 2 just for a tidier screen. Backtools you won't really see unless you're on a server.

If you're in SSP only- then strip anything you wont use.

Lag -aside from world gen- us usually caused by excessive block updates (adding/removing/changing blocks/redstone pulses), excessive entities (items on ground/in pipes/animals/monsters ect) or a lot of complex/tile entities (crystal chests, Redpower/Multipart microblocks), or chunkloading.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, yes, I have some experience with mod-cutting. From FTB, I'd remove Mystcraft, Twilight Forest, Thaumcraft, most of iChun's stuff, Soul Shards, and others like that. I'd also replace BoP with EBXL, just because BoP lags sometimes.

thejpprojects

Jul 29, 2019
thanks guys, its singleplayer so ill get rid of blacktools, no idea what it even is and probably computercraft for sure, and then ill look into the others thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1382610750][/DOUBLEPOST]and anyone else find BoP lags lot, i mean i do especially comparedd to when i use extremebiomes, so yeah i may swap that out