Problem How to protect chunks from fire spread ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
R

RitaMaSTeR

Hi, im playing FTB Revelation, and ive done this awesome mansion, my friend's saying that will burn with thunderstorm, the mansion is almost wood blocks.

How can I protect that chunks from fire spread? Ive tried to claim the chunk, its only Explosion protected.

Thank you for your time

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I, too, would love an answer to this question, as I accidentally burned down my warehouse yesterday. I had a fiery bow, got into a fight at like y=200 with a blitz, arrow sailed past it and hit the warehouse, now it's gone, lol. Well, mostly gone.

Edit: And if they don't exist, I'll have to add that to my list of things I'd make if I decided to figure out how to mod: A smoke detector. Install it in any wood house and it'll put out any fires in a 16 block radius or something.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thanks, but it's not going to happen until I get reaaaaal bored some day, lol

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For the most part I think you're screwed. Having said that, RFTools has an awesome machine which I believe is called the Block Protector. Depending on the size of your mansion (and sanity), you could theoretically install a bunch of these around your house and explicitly protect each block.

https://github.com/McJty/RFTools/wiki/RFTools-Block-Protector

If you don't mind using a forcefield you could also use the RFTools shield system. I don't recall if there's a way to do a totally invisible shield, nor am I certain it would protect versus lightning (and it definitely wouldn't help much with Drbretto's fiery-bow antics) but it might be worth looking into.

Lastly, there may be some way to disguide blocks as other blocks. I don't know of any in that pack, but theoretically you could rebuild your mansion in stone (like a normal person :p) and then camoflauge it as wood.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
In single player and if it's your own server you could always turn of firespread via gamerule - and if it's not your own server, you could always ask the server owner.

Reactions: Pyure and Drbretto

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
If I were you, I would use an invisible RF tools shield above your base to prevent the lightning from striking the wood.

R

RitaMaSTeR

Thank your all the responses, its my own server with some friends, whats the command to disable fire spreading? looks like the most effective way to do it

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Thank your all the responses, its my own server with some friends, whats the command to disable fire spreading? looks like the most effective way to do it

All vanilla commands can be found on the official minecraft wiki.

Code:
/gamerule doFireTick false

Keep in mind that it also stops fire from extinguishing on its own. So if you have any contraptions that rely on fire going out on its own, they will break.

On the plus side, it also allows you to decorate with fire without having to use netherrack.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If you don't mind using a forcefield you could also use the RFTools shield system. I don't recall if there's a way to do a totally invisible shield, nor am I certain it would protect versus lightning (and it definitely wouldn't help much with Drbretto's fiery-bow antics) but it might be worth looking into.

I find this intriguing. I looked it up, there is an invisible option and that's kind of exactly what I need. I need a protective barrier around my minecolonies village and I'd like to avoid having a great big wall uglifying my landscape.

What I can't seem to find on google is what kind of RF power does it cost to keep it up, though?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I find this intriguing. I looked it up, there is an invisible option and that's kind of exactly what I need. I need a protective barrier around my minecolonies village and I'd like to avoid having a great big wall uglifying my landscape.

What I can't seem to find on google is what kind of RF power does it cost to keep it up, though?
Last I checked it was "pretty reasonable", where "pretty reasonable" is a pretty useless term, so, sorry for that.

There's multiplie tiers of forcefield. They use more power and cover a larger area as you go up, so make sure you use the lowest tier possible for your base (Tier 2 does 1024 blocks for instance, which is only a 32x32 area)

Also, like I said, I have no idea if vanilla lightning will respect that shield. Probably will, since I imagine the process simply "looks down" from the sky and hits any blocks it finds, but who knows.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's not for the lightning. As the supreme commander of my server, I went ahead and disabled fire ticks :p

This is so I can prevent hostile spawns in a contained area. I'll be using powered lanterns for that, but a wall would be helpful.

"Pretty reasonable" is the best kind of answer I was expecting anyway, so that's perfect. But, I had myself under the impression that I could place the blocks the way I wanted, like a 2-high barrier around a larger area. Is that not possible? If I have to encase the whole thing, that might be more work than it's worth.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's not for the lightning. As the supreme commander of my server, I went ahead and disabled fire ticks :p

This is so I can prevent hostile spawns in a contained area. I'll be using powered lanterns for that, but a wall would be helpful.

"Pretty reasonable" is the best kind of answer I was expecting anyway, so that's perfect. But, I had myself under the impression that I could place the blocks the way I wanted, like a 2-high barrier around a larger area. Is that not possible? If I have to encase the whole thing, that might be more work than it's worth.
You can make any shape you like. You could make a shield in the shape of a giant menacing creeper if that suits you, so long as the blocks touch each other.

Reactions: Drbretto

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

Thaumcraft might provide a better solution. Blocks of Warding (?) prevent mobs from passing through. Create a border perimeter around the area you don't want mobs in, and voila!

Alternately, use something similar to an Interdiction Torch to prevent mob spawning in a large enough radius that mobs will never spawn when you are in the region.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
One option is to not build with wood. I used to do build with wood, but I also like to use lava inside of glass as a light source. Burned down my house once, never used wood again.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Another option for the OP would be a layer of glass up at build height. Would stop the rain also. That high up you would be able to see it.