How to make my base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pergamon256

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

I just started a new world on Monster and I can't decide how to make my base/what it should look like. I'm using Highlands, and if people have base builds that they think would be cool, please tell me, because I'm not that good at being creative without a base to start from. Thanks!

Jackoffripper

Jul 29, 2019
Start with a large box (Not even kidding). Make it a basic living structure and when you get settled in you can begin to work on the appearance while working on machines or whatever it is you want to do. Remember you do not have to have an epic build from the start or at all really. As long as you like it and if works for what you need it for.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Create pillars, banisters, farms, it will soon form into a base, maybe even add a barricade/giant wall?
Tip: Go for mountain and meadow areas!

Pergamon256

Jul 29, 2019
I really liked cpw's base that DW20 showcased in one episode, but I can't find the episode and all I know is that it was underground. And @Jackoffripper I know it doesn't have to be epic but when I look at some of the stuff that people build that's not insanely complicated but just aesthetically pleasing it's rather nice.
@RealSketch: I like the idea of the barricade...I think I'll try that.

Reactions: RealSketch

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I really liked cpw's base that DW20 showcased in one episode, but I can't find the episode and all I know is that it was underground. And @Jackoffripper I know it doesn't have to be epic but when I look at some of the stuff that people build that's not insanely complicated but just aesthetically pleasing it's rather nice.
NP :)

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't Highlands add a lot of mountanious terrain? Then I suggest digging out a mountain and living in it, with glass walls covering it up. Get what I'm saying? This kind of base is easy to build, functions nicely and still doesn't look half bad.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't Highlands add a lot of mountanious terrain? Then I suggest digging out a mountain and living in it, with glass walls covering it up. Get what I'm saying? This kind of base is easy to build, functions nicely and still doesn't look half bad.
Yep, clues in the name "High"lands.

Jackoffripper

Jul 29, 2019

When it boils down to it you should really build something you will find usable and design can come after word in the form of stairs, slabs and mircoblocks. I'm a fan of functionality over looks to begin with as I progress I then tend to build it nicer, change and modify things.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
CovertJaguar built a base on a Flying Mountain in his Dark Tower Series. Looks good.

I'm a big fan of building actually off the sides of mountains, rather than into the mountains themselves. Though a mountain cave is an awesome look for a base.

Examples:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/lets-see-some-bases-give-us-a-tour.5793/page-58#post-413148
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/lets-see-some-bases-give-us-a-tour.5793/page-70#post-482313
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/lets-see-some-bases-give-us-a-tour.5793/page-73#post-526108

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Hahaha no not by hand I made a new world and used a filler, a builder's wand, and a wand of equal trade. Still took a couple hours.[DOUBLEPOST=1391377063][/DOUBLEPOST]And this is what it looks like from the outside: http://imgur.com/LUVEmss
Good mountains you got there!
You sure have put a lot of effort into that, I haven't even got into thaumcraft yet.
Myself, I would have used a mining turtle filled with lava buckets from a nearby natural pool, but that's me, you're probably better at bases than me.

Pergamon256

Jul 29, 2019
Oh oops I forgot to type an integral part of that: I was in creative mode. I'm really not that good at making bases.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Oh oops I forgot to type an integral part of that: I was in creative mode. I'm really not that good at making bases.
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!
Why oh why, I hate creative mode, please stop!
Sorry, tiny bit of an overreaction.
Looking good for creative, surprised there isn't an easier way to clear that space out when your'e in godmode.

Pergamon256

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a better way to do it in creative...no WorldEdit or anything. The thing is that I started following the DW20 Season 6 SSP series on the DW20 1.6.4 pack and then wanted to switch to Monster and didn't want to start from scratch again, so I decided to make a base and give myself the items that I had in the other world.

Reactions: RealSketch