How to make floating islands?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ProGamer

Jul 29, 2019
So I recently saw etho's floating islands and now I want some for myself on my server.
How I get the stone up in the air to carve easily and how do I add grass?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Grass is easy just grab a couple via a ton of scrapboxes and scatter them next to bare dirt with plenty of light. Then soon the grass will cover up the dirt blocks top with grass.

ProGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Also how would you go about getting rid of chunks that are 6000 blocks out from spawn so that they regen?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
you could go the old school way. Get a tool with silk touch, grab some grass blocks, and just seed the island with a few and it will spread.

If you have EE you can convert cobble to grass.

If you got UU you can make grass there too.[DOUBLEPOST=1365240204][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also how would you go about getting rid of chunks that are 6000 blocks out from spawn so that they regen?

Get rid of them? Only way right now is to delete there region files since MCedit does not like modded MC all that well.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, if you run a server and use MCPC+ then you can install worldborder, or worldedit, both of which have functions capable of resetting large swathes of land, worldborder is better suited for large scale resets though.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
what Etho did was use a filler. The easiest way to get the filler that high in the air and also the places for the landmarks: scaffold.

Good luck making anything that looks even remotely as cool as Etho's islands, those are just seriously cool.
Buttt on the offhand that you do, pics please? :)

Reactions: Affex

Affex

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Etho used a filler and then a mining laser on explosive mode to shape the island. It looks damn cool!

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Etho is a builder to the core, even if he happens to also take joy in making contraption, which makes Minecraft a great game for him.

The details he puts in these floating islands is incredible. like the "cave entrance", or how he put grass over the edge to make it look even better. He also chooses to make the islands based on the most awesome structures that Minecraft can generate, not the average plain or mountain.

Most of us would make a big chunk of land in the sky, mostly spherical/conical for the down part, and relatively flat at the top.
But he did use a method that is reusable by all those that wish to take great deal of time to make things look nice. Multiple fillers, tons of stone, a jet pack and a mining laser on explosive mode.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad no mod tried to emulate better than wolves' cement buckets, you pour them out and they spread like water, then solidify into smoothstone. That was really awesome for making floating islands.

Reactions: Lambert2191