How to make a soul shard cow farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to make a cow farm, with the cows coming from a soul shard, but I can't work out a good method to automatically cook the cows. I've tried dropping them into lava suspended on signs, but the cows just float in the lava and the meat + leahter just burns up in the lava when they die. Is there some other way to auto-cook them (I know I could just put the meat into a furnace but i'd rather not use power unnecessarily).

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can drop them onto burning Netherrack. (Or you can put them into a Powered/Electric/Blulectric/Iron/Normal Furnace, but you already pointed out you didn't want to do that.)

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019
Give them about a 15 block height thru a single layer lava blade. Set the lava blade 2-3 levels higher than the floor. They should fall faster than and completely fall thru the lava blade.

Reactions: Whovian

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I made you an answer. none of that vanilla lava blade mess. just cheap rp2 ignitors

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
drop them through a mystcraft portal and into a kill block with an igniter on it... instant steak

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you! One question though: What do you have the timer set to (or doesn't it matter)?

Doesn't really matter too much. set it to a second or two. depending on your lag situation. if you set it too slow, the spawner will slow down, but that is not a big deal. they seem to need to be lit on fire twice in order to die 100% of the time, and they burn for a sec or two on average. death is usually within a second of being lit on fire the second time. there is a lot of randomness involved in burning mobs to death that way, but the setup light em on fire quite reliably. the pulse length has to be kept short. otherwise the fire will destroy items.

Also. i goofed on the width of the spawner. there are some escapees visible on the vid. add another block of width to it on both sides, and the escapee problem should vanish.

important: use blocks on all corners. cows tend to escape past the transposers otherwise. it's a minor RP2 bug with the transposer hit-box. the same bug allows ranged mobs to fire at you past the transposers of collection systems in other grinders as well.

Chance

Jul 29, 2019
golemns....have them feed an electronic furnace or any other kind of furnace and then have them pull it out.