How to make a good tree farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Tried that too. But then you run into the problem of transfering stuff from one cargo manager to another. I finaly decided that I'm overthinking the whole process so I decided to dumb it down and use a filter and about 8 detector tracks. Simple but effective.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Tried that too. But then you run into the problem of transfering stuff from one cargo manager to another. I finaly decided that I'm overthinking the whole process so I decided to dumb it down and use a filter and about 8 detector tracks. Simple but effective.
Have a filter before the cargo manager so only wooden logs go into it (first valid tube destination). I guess you could also fill most of the cargo manager with cobble, so there's not such a large supply of wood in the cargo manager. The cart shouldn't do anything with it as it's not fuel.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
On my system, I just told my sorting machine to send 64 saplings/wood at a time. I set the manager to only unload the chests, then fill the saplings and engine (wood). Since the sorting machine only grabs sets of 64, there is always between 0-63 sitting in the manager for the cart to grab. Occasionally the cargo manager will not have enough to fill the demand of the cart, but my cart can make multiple circuits around the track before running out of fuel, so the law of averages helps keep it full.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Thats an interesting idea tunnen... perhaps you could even set the sorting machine to wait until it can send out 3 full stacks of wood.. that way its much more likely to keep enough to fuel the cart with something.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I put a Filter on my Cargo Distributor which sits on top of my Cargo Manager (which has all 4 "sides" combined into one). This Filter sends full stacks of Logs, Saplings, or Apples into barrels via Tubes. The Filter is on a slow timer, 7 seconds or so per tick IIRC.
Here is the sequence of events:
1) cart pulls up to Blue side of Cargo Manager and the detector rail stops it and quickly unloads it.
2) Cargo Distributor+Filter combo begins slowly pulling stacks from the Cargo Manager.
3) cart moves to the Red side of the Cargo Manager, stops, and begins to load Logs.
4) The Filter has only pulled a couple of stacks of Logs in this amount of time, so there are plenty available to fill up the Cart as fuel.
5) The cart goes back to work and the Filter pulls the remaining stacks in just a minute or two.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I advocate usage of Minefactory Reloaded for farming. Yeah, it's not a 'cool' as a steves carts 2 tree farm, but it sure as hell is easier. For automation, you need two machines, with a third optional one. For semi-automation, aka "doing it on the cheap" you need only one machine.
The main device for farming in MFR is the Harvester. Takes either BC power or IC2 power, and if neither is present, runs off of ambient osmosis, absorbing background radiation from the world and running just fine without any input(aka doesn't need power). Can harvest pretty much anything you can plant in FTB Ultimate, though some trees are too tall for it by default. Yes, even netherwart. Or Corn. But I don't know about IC2 crops, so that's maybe one thing. Harvesting anything with the Harvester produces Sludge as a byproduct. Nasty stuff, but actually rather handy as you can use it to make some resources with a Sludge Boiler.
There are upgrades for many devices in the next version of MFR(they allow machines to work on a larger scale at the cost of being less efficient), and a critical bugfix in the version after that. Plus if you use the updated version of MFR there is a few great new toys, including single use Safari Nets, a Autospawner, a Safari Net Launcher, and the ability to fire safari nets from dispensers(assuming they are empty). Also some nice looking building materials.

Reactions: Milaha

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of setting up turtles. With redwood. Meaning I literally will have so much wood *without* thinking of my SC2 farm. Do that OP. TURTLES 4 ever!

I like MFR but I've never really used it, I know that rubber tree is produces is HEAVILY present in a server I play on's redwood forest. The one I live in, at least. Shame it's currently down.

Nacon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of setting up turtles. With redwood. Meaning I literally will have so much wood *without* thinking of my SC2 farm. Do that OP. TURTLES 4 ever!

I like MFR but I've never really used it, I know that rubber tree is produces is HEAVILY present in a server I play on's redwood forest. The one I live in, at least. Shame it's currently down.

I have a felling turtle for redwood trees.
It plants a 2x2, applies bonemeal, digs in, then up untill digUp returns false, move 1 block sideways and dig down again.
I dig down untill compareDown to inventory slot 1 is true, slot 1 holds a block of dirt.
You could fancy it up and count how many steps you went up and dig the same amount of steps down...
That would have saved me a trip to bedrock after starting the program without putting dirt in the first slot :).

I get 3-4 stacks of logs from 1 tree, only problem is that you can't grow a new one untill the leaves are gone.
Got around that by moving the turtle like 16 blocks.

I also have a golem to pick up the saplings, but found out that redwood saplings dont feed into a fermenter like other saplings do.
Had to get another golem to throw them in...

In the end i just build a SC farm and now run my fermenter on those saplings instead.

But i think using turtles is more fun.

Reactions: Westingham

Kimberly

Jul 29, 2019
I'm building a tree farm with a logger and filler working in tandem. Currently, I have to landmarks the filler is attached to set to cover the 21x21 space the logger covers. However, when large trees spawn, their branches have a habit of spawning outside of the logger's area. How do force growth of small trees, or accommodate for large trees, without reducing the farm's spatial efficiency too much?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I'm building a tree farm with a logger and filler working in tandem. Currently, I have to landmarks the filler is attached to set to cover the 21x21 space the logger covers. However, when large trees spawn, their branches have a habit of spawning outside of the logger's area. How do force growth of small trees, or accommodate for large trees, without reducing the farm's spatial efficiency too much?

Off the top of me head, you could enclose partial sides [starting from 3 blocks high] and also above each sapling block with glass to limit growth to what you desire. You could also switch to using another type of tree/sapling [birch/spruce/jungle/etc.] that doesn't branch.

I realize this thread is "old" and the farming method used is deprecated, but some people might decide to stay on 1.4.7 until RP2 is updated. Thus, the informations I provided are still useful and applicable.