How to make a good tree farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

Does anyone have a good tutorial, on how to make a good tree farm, there is efficient.

I need the tree farm So I can make my Bio Mass and Charcoal, so something good.

Hope anyone can help me out, if the help if perfect, I can donate a little amount of cash.

Best Regards Kristian

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
look up arboretum and logger, they're the machines you'll need.

this ones FOC ;)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Carts tree farm. Most expensive item: 5 diamonds.
You'll need as components for the cart:
- Standard Hull
- Coal Engine
- Woodcutter
- Side Chests
Then build a Cart Assembler. Put the components mentioned up to into the left, click on assemble on the bottom right, add a stack of charcoal and 15 minutes later or so you'll have a shiny new cart.
Meanwhile build a bunch of tracks, one Advanced Detector Rail and one Cargo Manager.
Set the tracks up in the shape of an E: (the red wool is only for your counting convinience, don't place it on live)
Farm layout.png
Place the Cargo Manager on the long side of the E (like in the picture above) directly next to the ADRail. Remember the color of the side, that touches your Advanced Detector Rail. Open the Cargo Manager and configure it like in the following picture (I had red as my track facing side):
Cargo Manager.png

When the cart is ready, place it, fill it with saplings and a stack of logs and watch the cart work. It will refuel itself via the logs it produces. For greater efficiency you can add some external ways to autocraft some logs into charcoal and let your cart run on that.

Wiki for Steve's Carts: http://stevescarts2.wikispaces.com/

carlfm

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the Steve's Carts tree farm and am looking forward to having the resources to build one.

zzZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Carts tree farm. Most expensive item: 5 diamonds.
You'll need as components for the cart:
- Standard Hull
- Coal Engine
- Woodcutter
- Side Chests
Then build a Cart Assembler. Put the components mentioned up to into the left, click on assemble on the bottom right, add a stack of charcoal and 15 minutes later or so you'll have a shiny new cart.
Meanwhile build a bunch of tracks, one Advanced Detector Rail and one Cargo Manager.
Set the tracks up in the shape of an E: (the red wool is only for your counting convinience, don't place it on live)
View attachment 1777
Place the Cargo Manager on the long side of the E (like in the picture above) directly next to the ADRail. Remember the color of the side, that touches your Advanced Detector Rail. Open the Cargo Manager and configure it like in the following picture (I had red as my track facing side):
View attachment 1778

When the cart is ready, place it, fill it with saplings and a stack of logs and watch the cart work. It will refuel itself via the logs it produces. For greater efficiency you can add some external ways to autocraft some logs into charcoal and let your cart run on that.

Wiki for Steve's Carts: http://stevescarts2.wikispaces.com/

I'd recommend adding a solar panel to the top of the cart to help cut down on coal/charcoal consumption. That way it'll use the coal engine at night and solars during the day. These things produce so much wood that you might be able to run it without the coal engine all together. Just let it rest at night.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I heard someone, I think maybe Jadedcat say that the leaves from the trees cut down the sunlight to the solar panel, so sometimes this can become an issue.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
if you fuel the cart in the same cargo manager as you take the inventory off it, then you will be fuelling with wood/saplings. I use 2 cargo managers, one to take the inv, and one to refuel, it is refueled with charcoal.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'd recommend adding a solar panel to the top of the cart to help cut down on coal/charcoal consumption. That way it'll use the coal engine at night and solars during the day. These things produce so much wood that you might be able to run it without the coal engine all together. Just let it rest at night.
I don't like a solar on this because I prevents me from using a Top Chest on the cart, which is a pretty big storage penalty. Mine runs off of charcoal made from a miniscule fraction of the harvested wood.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I heard someone, I think maybe Jadedcat say that the leaves from the trees cut down the sunlight to the solar panel, so sometimes this can become an issue.

use a solar engine as the main engine, and the coal engine as the backup, so set the coal engine as secondary. so when the leaves block the sunlight for the solar engine, the backup engine, the coal engine, will switch on. as soon as the sunlight comes back the solar starts back up and the coal engine stops.

you can make the E as big as you want, but I do recommend if you are making the E larger, to add more storage space to the cart, otherwise the cart will clog up because it can't chop trees because there's no storage space to put it in.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
if you fuel the cart in the same cargo manager as you take the inventory off it, then you will be fuelling with wood/saplings. I use 2 cargo managers, one to take the inv, and one to refuel, it is refueled with charcoal.
You can avoid the cargo manager feeding it saplings and wood to the engine by keeping the cargo manager stocked with charcoal. The cart will fill in it's stacks of charcoal before using anything else. I find golems to be extremely handy when I want to keep a certain amount of one item in an inventory. They also automate my charcoal production.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
You can avoid the cargo manager feeding it saplings and wood to the engine by keeping the cargo manager stocked with charcoal. The cart will fill in it's stacks of charcoal before using anything else....
My cargo manager doesn't try to feed the engine saplings and wood ... I just have the cart separated so it only tries to fuel the engine from the top right quadrant of the manager. The other 3 quadrants are for cargo unloaded from the cart.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
You actually don't need very much storage in a tree farm cart unless you want one cart to cover a huge area. I just have 2 internal storage cells in my old one, and it never fills up, but the farm is pretty large. I'd go with compact solar engine, coal engine, cleaning machine (sometimes the wood cutter doesn't get every item it seems), wood cutter, and max out internal storage, or add a chunk loader or something.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Top left slot, set to unload cargo. Top Right, set to load saplings, any of the bottom two, to load engine. You should then never get saplings going into fuel slots, and the small amount of logs that the cart uses for fuel will be unnoticable. Just give it a bit of coal to get started with.

I also do recommend the cleaner module. I also noticed once a sapling that the cart missed. Not going to build another one just for that module :D

Here's my farm. I've uploaded this image before in other threads. 3 Detector tracks pulse a filter to pull out any unused items from the cargo manager. The cart/track system then is it's own timer, never fills up with excessive items and no "advanced" machines or the cargo distrubter required.

treefarm.jpg

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. I loath making timers, due to their fiddling crafting and I thought that detector rails might be a be more friendly on my PC :D

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean "best thing"?
- Fastest production? That would be fertilizer, it produces 56mB per cycle, compost and mulch only produce 48mB per cycle. Downside of the fertilizer: It is not easily infinite anymore.
- Do you mean as product to be converted? Use your abundance of saplings from the farm.
- Do you mean as liquid? Apple juice and liquid honey boost the production of biomass by 1.5x. Water is easy, but only 1.0x. Currently I sometimes switch the water to apple juice (from the farm), whenever my buffertank fills up with juice. (Automated switch to juice and back.)

Reactions: Kristian

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't dealt with railcraft at all...what's the fastest way for me to make track for my steve's cart tree farm?