How to create liquid RFtools dimension

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

APproject

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all!

I have mastered the art of exploiting solar dimensions, but I have been struggling with liquid dimensions. I put a liquid dimlet before a terrain modified, but nothing seems to happen.

What's the trick to getting a proper liquid dimension?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
To get a good liquid dimension you can use something like this:

Liquid dimlet, Terrain normal, Single controller, Biome ocean or deep ocean

And then add whatever you want to avoid random unwanted features.

Reactions: Padfoote

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I made a new dimension tonight with Jade Cliffs and Deep Oceans. I used Life Essence as my liquid of choice. This should make Blood Magic a breeze.

Also used glowstone tendrils, which look absolutely amazing against my red sky and a sea of blood.

Reactions: Lethosos and McJty

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be away from the game for bit, but I'll see if I can snap a few when I get home.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking we should have a RFTools Dimension thread over on the Community Showplace. I'm curious what other people have come up with.

Reactions: McJty

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Looks fascinating, though for my taste the sky is a little too dominant. May I ask about the maintenance cost of that dimension? Also, which biome controller dimlet did you use? The ones I tried so far didn't let me put three biome dimlets in without a warning.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Looks fascinating, though for my taste the sky is a little too dominant. May I ask about the maintenance cost of that dimension? Also, which biome controller dimlet did you use? The ones I tried so far didn't let me put three biome dimlets in without a warning.

The 'filtered' biome controller allows two ore more biome dimlets.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The 'filtered' biome controller allows two ore more biome dimlets.
I am not surprised that I haven't seen that one yet... Would it, perhaps, be possible to dynamically change the probability of biome controllers "dropping" from the researcher based on the total number of different dimlets possible? I take it the percentage may be ok if you have few mods that add biomes, liquids or materials installed, but as the latter go up, the percentage of biome controllers appearing is reduced to a degree that I didn't even know the category existed after my first 100 dimlets or so, until I browsed NEI. Also, that you can't craft them is a severe disadvantage compared to Mystcraft, where you can copy a page once you've found it once.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I am not surprised that I haven't seen that one yet... Would it, perhaps, be possible to dynamically change the probability of biome controllers "dropping" from the researcher based on the total number of different dimlets possible? I take it the percentage may be ok if you have few mods that add biomes, liquids or materials installed, but as the latter go up, the percentage of biome controllers appearing is reduced to a degree that I didn't even know the category existed after my first 100 dimlets or so, until I browsed NEI. Also, that you can't craft them is a severe disadvantage compared to Mystcraft, where you can copy a page once you've found it once.

I do have plans to make biome controllers craftable with the dimlet workbench at least. I think I already have an idea on how I'm going to handle it.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I do have plans to make biome controllers craftable with the dimlet workbench at least. I think I already have an idea on how I'm going to handle it.
If you implement it, consider that the "type controller" component of a dimlet is only available from disassembling dimlets of the same class. So if you introduce a "biome controller type controller" component without giving the player additional means to get it beyond disassembling existing ones, the problem may not disappear since it's the whole class which is rare. Alternatively, the single and default biome controller are craftable in the crafting table and may be disassembled to get the components, but that would feel decidedly odd.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

As mentioned above, the Filtered Biome Controller was used. I agree that the Inferno Sky is a bit overpowering, and the Amplified nature was a bit much for my tastes to build in. The dimension was torn down and repurposed (into a tamer version of itself). I don't remember the maintenance costs, as I've been reusing the Efficiency (-25% combined) dimlets I stumbled upon in my first Dimlet Lab (not sure the actual name of this structure, but I see it as a forgotten research lab). The initial investment to power it up was something absurd but rational given the contents, and I had to leave it running over night to power it up (I wasn't going to sit and watch it eat all my power).

This thread has taught me that good practice should screenshot this process more diligently, as my memory is but a Bibliocraft Clipboard.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I picked up one in my first test dimension, and have since created another using the scrambler. That said, I do have an enderman grinder running for an endless supply of Unknown Dimlets.

Edit: Wait, there's a recipe for them? Maybe a few of these dimensions will stick around if I can get the maintenance costs low enough. My server owner is going to hate me, BTW.

Last edited: