How to check compatibility adding a mod to a pack?

D

DarkWolfJTB

Hi there, this is my first post, I've tried my best to find the most appropriate category to post this in. I hope I've got it right, but please feel free to let me know or move it if I'm incorrect. I've done a lot of Google searching trying to work this thing out, but I can't. It's a simple thing though. I fear I've written too much, so the tl;dr is at the bottom. I really appreciate anybody taking the time to answer this, as it's driving me crazy, so thanks a ton anybody who responds to this. Looking forward to contributing to this forum.

Basically I'm playing on FTB Infinite Evolved, and I'm relatively new to mods. I'm picking it up quick, but there's a lot I still don't understand. Now.. I basically want to add Balkon's Mod into my pack (Yep, I miss blowing away creepers with a musket) and I know how to do the actual adding. But what I don't know is how to check for compatibility before doing it and potentially ruining my game. I know if you were just adding one mod to a game with, say, one other mod on it, you could just compare the .class files and if they're all titled differently, there's a good chance it'll be okay. Similarly if the mod you're adding is part of Forge (which Balkon's is I believe). But as the modpack features like 100+ mods, I can't possibly check all those .class files.

I wondered whether there is perhaps no way to check compatibility beforehand, and that maybe a backup is the customary compatibility measure, but I don't know how to do this either - or how to know if things have gone wrong. Is it possible, perhaps, to not be aware of a conflict until months later when you finally happen on the item that has the same ID as something else and your game breaks? XD

Basically, what's the procedure for this?

The tl;dr is I don't know:

a) How to check if a particular mod will 'play nicely' with my FTB Infinity Evolved modpack
b) How to backup just in case
c) How to actually know if it isn't 'playing nicely' so I can promptly reverse it and not waste time progressing in the game, for it to break later and lose that progress
d) How to edit files to fix possible compatibility issues (which I don't know how to find) if they arise.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Basically, you don't have to check the class files anymore. That has been gone for quite a while now. If you need backups, just take a backup of the worlds in your saves folder. If you somehow manage to mess up the whole instance then, you can just download infinity again, and put the saves back. Balkon's shouldn't present any problems, but you should know that adding mods when playing on expert mode (which I assume you aren't playing on, since your new to mods) can seriously break progression. If there are compatibility issues in 1.7.10 and higher, they are usually biome or potion ID conflicts. If you aren't adding a mod that adds either new potion effects or biome ID's, I would not worry too much about changes files.

D

DarkWolfJTB

Thanks very much :D I've added it through the Curse launcher and seems to be working fine. Okay, that's good to know, so I can add more mods if I like as well. Excellent haha. Thanks! I HAVE MY BOOMERANGS BACK.

No, not expert mode :)