How to Change the Mining Level of an ore?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Punchofdeath

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to play the 3rd party modpack titled, "EPiCCRAFT" although it is very difficult because I cannot progress due to how it is set up. Say I want to mine iron. I cannot make the vanilla picks because it wants you to use TC for it to be more in-depth. Ok.. I go to make a stone pick in TC then I get this when I make the pickaxe head, "This part is used to make casts in the smeltery." Well, I'm nearby a village and i go searching through it and out of some luck I find a copper pickaxe head. "Mining level: Copper" I cannot use flint, bone, or anything else because it is also copper or lower. How do I change the mining level of an ore?

~Punchofdeath Thanks to anyone who replies!

Hope you enjoyed the back story thingy!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you can't change the mining level of the ores, but I believe you can set the mining levels of the pickaxes in the Iguana Tweaks config.

Punchofdeath

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so after looking in the Iguana Tweaks config I found that I could enable stone tools so hopefully this allows me to be able to mine iron with them!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The way it is intended is that you use your copper pickaxe until it levels up, which will increase its mining level, and then replace the head with iron.
But if you really want to shortcut like this go ahead

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I think there's a misunderstanding about how IguanaTweaks works. You'll need to make a pickaxe with a flint head, then mine with it until you get a message saying it has gotten +1 mining level. Then you'll be able to mine copper. Mine some, chuck it in your smeltery, make a new copper head, repair your flint pick, and replace the flint head with the copper one. This may or may not allow the pick to mine iron, depending on the IguanaTweaks configs- if it doesn't, you'll have to mine until it levels up again. Then, once you can mine tin, make a bronze head and repeat the process.

If you don't want to wait for your pick to level up all the time, you can use a mob head upgrade to give it the +1 mining level right away. However, the specific head you need depends on the mining level it's already at- I don't know which tier uses what head off the top of my head, but you can look that up somewhere.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
That's largely up to how the modpacker sets up Iguana's config. For example, I've largely kept it plain TiCo with vanilla style crafting off and with tool parts replaceable within my setup.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Actually Iguana tweaks can do that. The config files for that are in the "IguanaTinkerTweaks" folder.
Good to know. However, I wouldn't consider Iguana tweaks a tweak mod in the sense I was thinking of. In particular, it requires TC. Perhaps I should have specified standalone tweak mod. Useful for the original poster, but not so much for those who don't use TC.

Punchofdeath

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yea before this thread gets forgotten how do I enable the making of TC stone pickaxe heads and what not?