How to add custom lore books to my modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AntiVi

Jul 29, 2019
Does someone know of a mod that can do this?
I need to write lore and give them as rewards for completing quests in HQM and i need them to be able to be found in chests around the world so I can write something about magic and make it unlock magic stuff for example.

Thank you
AntiVi

AntiVi

Jul 29, 2019
Well I just need a simple mod that allows me to add books that i can edit.
It also needs to be for 1.6.4

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Could they be just vanilla written books? Once signed, they can't be edited anymore, and giving them as HQM quest rewards should work.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Enchirodon, idk how it works, but it does what u want.
I think Enchiridion just adds an API for mods to define richer-formatted books with (peeking at the Mariculture jar file, it looks like the book contents would be an XML-based domain-specific language).

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
I think Enchiridion just adds an API for mods to define richer-formatted books with (peeking at the Mariculture jar file, it looks like the book contents would be an XML-based domain-specific language).
No. You can create your own books with it too. But without an ige its kinda tedious.

AntiVi

Jul 29, 2019
Could they be just vanilla written books? Once signed, they can't be edited anymore, and giving them as HQM quest rewards should work.
Yes but would they be in the modpack or just the map? They'll can't be linked to a world but they need to be in the actual modpack so it works for everybody.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
No. You can create your own books with it too. But without an ige its kinda tedious.
I never said you couldn't, just that you had to write at least a small mod to call a method saying "here's the XML that defines what's in my book, here's the book's name, etc.." Am I wrong, can you define your own book without writing any Java at all?[DOUBLEPOST=1404362030][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes but would they be in the modpack or just the map? They'll can't be linked to a world but they need to be in the actual modpack so it works for everybody.
How does Agrarian Skies do it? I can't imagine @Jadedcat repeats the same setup for each of her maps.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Well, for HQM quest rewards it should work as the quest file is independent from the map. Having them available for map makers is probably harder to do.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
I never said you couldn't, just that you had to write at least a small mod to call a method saying "here's the XML that defines what's in my book, here's the book's name, etc.." Am I wrong, can you define your own book without writing any Java at all?

You don't need to do any java at all... It has something that automatically loads the books from the xml/zips. Jaded had used it in magicfarm2.

AntiVi

Jul 29, 2019
aha joshie actually posted links there to help :)
I'll check that out see if i actually understand it.

Edit: I already see that the tutorial uses mariculture :/ I don't need that...
Is there a tutorial that doesn't use mariculture?

"so you will want to place your new xml file in "configs/books/debug"."
Is "configs/books/debug" the folder name? Where do I put the folder? o_O

"This is a mod that started off as part of Mariculture, allowing for loading of custom books from zip files in the configs, handy for modpack creators or people who just want to let people know what's going on, with a mod. It has been split from Mariculture."

If its split from mariculture why does the tutorial use it xD

Last edited:

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
aha joshie actually posted links there to help :)
I'll check that out see if i actually understand it.

Edit: I already see that the tutorial uses mariculture :/ I don't need that...
Is there a tutorial that doesn't use mariculture?

"so you will want to place your new xml file in "configs/books/debug"."
Is "configs/books/debug" the folder name? Where do I put the folder? o_O

"This is a mod that started off as part of Mariculture, allowing for loading of custom books from zip files in the configs, handy for modpack creators or people who just want to let people know what's going on, with a mod. It has been split from Mariculture."

If its split from mariculture why does the tutorial use it xD
it used to be integrated in mariculture.

AntiVi

Jul 29, 2019
it shoud be pretty much the same, jut use the enchirodon folder in your configs.
I'm not good with these things I don't know where to put the xml or the zip when i'm done. all i have is a "books" folder that contains the mods config file.