How should I start off on ftb Infinity

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheAxeLeader76

Jul 29, 2019
I'm new to ftb because I just build my first pc just so I could actually run ftb infinity. Any one have like a video or like a list of what I should do when I start. Thanks :D

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
Tip No. #1. Don't ask for advice. The most fun ive had in Modded minecraft was defintely my first few days. Discovering new items, looking them up on the wiki's. Now that i know what everything does, the game is less enjoyable.

If you ask someone for a "to do list" you will regret it later.

Start as if it was vanilla, and then think about what you want to be able to do, almost anything is possible.

I will never forget the first time i built a windmill (first ever energy making machine) hooked it up to bat box, and it started charging..
That exciting feeling where you get so happy you need to take a crap right then and there.

*EDIT* Reading that first line, DO ask for advice, but only when you get stuck solving a puzzle, and i mean really stuck. Solving your own problem is satisying, but if the Engine simply won't transfer no matter what settings u put it on, thats the kinda stuff u ask for help with :D GOOD LUCK

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Tip No. #2. Press E to get to inventory screen, then on the left side you will see a map icon and a couple of book icons, etc. One of the books is actually a good, brief tutorial on how to proceed from the very beginning.

I did not know this "help book" was there until I had already learned the hard way, but perhaps since you haven't really started yet, this book and all its tips and hints will be able to help you along. Have a look at it! And have fun!

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Tips from an old coot like me...

Do not enable expert mode if this is your first time playing a big kitchen sink pack like this. Even if you have dabbled in modded MC before. If you feel the need, make a map, then make a copy of the map and name it something else. Use one for "fun" and one for expert mode.

What @Douxo said. Play like it's vanilla to start.. get some food, get a bed, and get a shelter.

If not playing expert mode, pick a mod to start with. Try to focus on that mod. My biggest sin when playing modded is getting side tracked... So many half finished tech/magic trees with stuff I want, but there is something shiny over there! This doesn't work for expert mode, as you have to keep progression at par with multiple mods to progress through any of them... That last sentence sounds confusing, I know... :)

Most of all... Don't take any advice as gospel. Do what you feel like doing. This is modded MC.... It's all about having fun the way you want to, not the way someone tells you to...

So... You can feel free to ignore any and all advice/tips that I just posted...

Wait.. wut?

casieg

Jul 29, 2019
Check out the third party mod pack section. Unlike the official packs, many of these have the Hardcore Questing Mod, or HQM. This mod adds a quest book that the pack author writes to guide gameplay. It's a great way to learn new mods as most quest lines show you how to start a mod as well as showcase the features of delving deeper into them.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Check out the third party mod pack section. Unlike the official packs, many of these have the Hardcore Questing Mod, or HQM. This mod adds a quest book that the pack author writes to guide gameplay. It's a great way to learn new mods as most quest lines show you how to start a mod as well as showcase the features of delving deeper into them.
To be honest, I would not recommend HQM for beginners for two reasons.

1: A lot of the HQM based packs are hard mode. Extra mods like hunger overhaul and ex nehilo and reduced resources (either skyblock or custom maps) are added and don't help someone ease into/back into modded MC.

2: A lot of HQM packs have changed recipes and methods to achieve set goals. Take Agrarian Skies for example. Many of the recipes are drastically changed and do not represent "regular" gameplay.

Again, just my two cents

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Azzanine

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
By punching a tree? Like every one else.
You can't do wrong by starting off with Tinkers Construct though. And make a backpack of any kind. Modded MC has a LOT of junk that will fill your packs. After that just go down the list and try each mod.

Also you could watch some Let's plays on YouTube. That could help you if you are merely just stumped by the variety of starting options.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You only play it for the first time once. Enjoy the experience. You can come back and play it again later if you want, and then you can maybe have a better idea of what might be considered 'optimal' or 'better' (although these terms are ALWAYS subjective), but that sense of wonder and exploration... that you only get once. Enjoy it.

To quote a character from Fallout: New Vegas... "What does this world have to offer for a dreamer such as myself?"

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Where applicable, Read the Friggin Manual. Several mods come with manuals, guidebooks, and whatnot that do a good job explaining what they're all about. Read them. I cannot overstate the value of giving manuals at least a single once-over before hopping in. In absence of a manual, most mods are either documented on their wikis or on the FTB wiki, Google is your friend.

However, I have to echo the sentiment of others: the most important part is to just go with whatever piques your interest first and branch out from there. You only get to be a first-timer once. Reminds me of my old days, playing 1.2.5 Technic for the first time and blowing up machines by accident. Those were the days...

Reactions: JaRyCu