How much lag can microblocks cause?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing a build that uses a fairly large amount of microblocks. And I'm wondering just how significant the performance hit could be? I'm aware this is a rather vaguely framed question, I'm just wondering if it could completely kill my performance or not.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Lots. it all boils down to render distance, how many and how powerful your computer. if theres many in your field of view its going to cause lag. Same applies to anything that not just a block

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Lots. it all boils down to render distance, how many and how powerful your computer. if theres many in your field of view its going to cause lag. Same applies to anything that not just a block

So it's down to field of view, rather than chunk-loaded status? Because it's a tower, and I expect there'll never be a whole lot of them in view at once, but there'll be alot tucked away, some of them onscreen but hidden behind blocks at certain angles, will a microblock that's in field-of-view but behind a solid block still be rendered?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
So it's down to field of view, rather than chunk-loaded status? Because it's a tower, and I expect there'll never be a whole lot of them in view at once, but there'll be alot tucked away, some of them onscreen but hidden behind blocks at certain angles, will a microblock that's in field-of-view but behind a solid block still be rendered?

Everything is rendered even if its behind a wall. unsure about the chunk loading though.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
As far as I know, yes. Every block in your field of view, wither viewable or occluded, are rendered into video ram therefore cause a hit to performance. Get enough hits and............

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm doing a build that uses a fairly large amount of microblocks. And I'm wondering just how significant the performance hit could be? I'm aware this is a rather vaguely framed question, I'm just wondering if it could completely kill my performance or not.
In my experience, do not worry about it. I am a very heavy user of micro blocks and Carpenter's blocks. We are talking hundreds of thousands-millions+ of them in my current world and it doesn't even register a difference...

I recently built a large underwater base(it is documented in my showroom thread) where I went all out on carpenter's and microblocks. There was absolutely no difference what so ever in fps when comparing the site to a normal sea floor far enough away to be out of view/loading distance of the base. I then started to fill in some machines and the fps started dropping fast...

If I were to give an estimate of the microblocks/carpenter's blocks collected part of the performance loss I am experiencing I would come up with something like 1/1000-1/10000. The rest is animals/mobs, machines and magic stuff.

But I suppose it is easier for people to blame the 100+ or so microblocks they use than their favourite tech/magic mod for their poor fps.

Last edited:

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience, do not worry about it. I am a very heavy user of micro blocks and Carpenter's blocks. We are talking hundreds of thousands-millions+ of them in my current world and it doesn't even register a difference...

I recently built a large underwater base(it is documented in my showroom thread) where I went all out on carpenter's and microblocks. There was absolutely no difference what so ever in fps when comparing the site to a normal sea floor far enough away to be out of view/loading distance of the base. I then started to fill in some machines and the fps started dropping fast...

If I were to give an estimate of the microblocks/carpenter's blocks collected part of the performance loss I am experiencing I would come up with something like 1/1000-1/10000. The rest is animals/mobs, machines and magic stuff.

Cheers man. So it does affect me, but relatively alot less than machines. I can make that work. :) My machine is in need of an upgrade now, but if microblocks affect me less than machines, then I should be ok for the most part. :)

Not trying to fellate your posterior here, but your answers are always really detailed and helpful. I appreciate it. :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Cheers man. So it does affect me, but relatively alot less than machines. I can make that work. :) My machine is in need of an upgrade now, but if microblocks affect me less than machines, then I should be ok for the most part. :)

Not trying to fellate your posterior here, but your answers are always really detailed and helpful. I appreciate it. :)
Yeah it is in my experience such a small effect that you probably never will notice it. Not before a single Zombie or a ore processing line will have bogged you down first.

In theory every blocks exposed side will contribute to loss of performance too. But we don't all play on super flat worlds with no caves or anything and refuse to dig into the ground because that would expose more sides and cause lag... If you are on an old/bad enough machine for this to be an issue, then advanced machines/mobs will have ground your performance to a halt long before it have become an issue.

Reactions: CuriousKey

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it is in my experience such a small effect that you probably never will notice it. Not before a single Zombie or a ore processing line will have bogged you down first.

In theory every blocks exposed side will contribute to loss of performance too. But we don't all play on super flat worlds with no caves or anything and refuse to dig into the ground because that would expose more sides and cause lag... If you are on an old/bad enough machine for this to be an issue, then advanced machines/mobs will have ground your performance to a halt long before it have become an issue.

It's not that my machine is bad, it's just not cutting edge anymore. I'm running an i5 rather than an i7, and minecraft actually runs worse on my computer than modern AAA titles. :p I was getting a solid 100-120 fps in 1.6, which was halved when I moved to 1.7.
And the challenge is mostly fighting framerate stutter when I'm recording, so that's mostly extra cpu drain. Currently saving up for a major upgrade to my system, so it's perfectly fine if my base *eventually* gets laggy, as long as I manage to upgrade my computer first. :p

I'll just go for it anyway, most likely I'll be able to upgrade before it becomes an issue. :)

Reactions: rhn and mattp_12

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest source of lag is entities(not tile entities), for example in my world:

Ender Quarry 70us
Ender Pump 50us
AE system(all of it together) 40us

ONE sheep 170us

Don't worry bout microblocks lagging you, entities, particles and machines are orders of magnitude more laggy

Reactions: Padfoote and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It's not that my machine is bad, it's just not cutting edge anymore. I'm running an i5 rather than an i7, and minecraft actually runs worse on my computer than modern AAA titles. :p I was getting a solid 100-120 fps in 1.6, which was halved when I moved to 1.7.
And the challenge is mostly fighting framerate stutter when I'm recording, so that's mostly extra cpu drain. Currently saving up for a major upgrade to my system, so it's perfectly fine if my base *eventually* gets laggy, as long as I manage to upgrade my computer first. :p

I'll just go for it anyway, most likely I'll be able to upgrade before it becomes an issue. :)
I am pretty much in the same boat. Using a 7 year old i7 860 @2.80gHz. It is really not top of the line, yet there have not really been any huge advances that set the newer CPU apart from it. And it works decently enough for 1.6 which I am still playing. Once I feel I am eventually done with my current world and I find a 1.7 pack that I actually feel interested in playing long term, then I will probably invest in a new system as well.

And yeah, my philosophy about MC is that it is about building. Tech/magic mods might enable me to build cooler/better/bigger stuff. They are a means to an end. So I am not going to restrict my building(microblocks/carpenter's/normal blocks/whatever) just so that I can do more tech/magic stuff. I actually consciously do it the other way around.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The biggest source of lag is entities(not tile entities), for example in my world:

Ender Quarry 70us
Ender Pump 50us

ONE sheep 170us

Don't worry bout microblocks lagging you, entities, particles and machines are orders of magnitude more laggy
Indeed.
Well more precisely the biggest source of lag is entities of any kind that are programmed to constantly re-evaluate things. Mobs are prime examples at this due to their AI constantly processing hundreds of things. But busy/badly programmed machines will also do it.

A microblock might contain a lot of information compared to a normal block. A normal block just contains coordinates(in world) and kind of block. Microblock contains coordinates(in world), kind of block AND coordinates/orientation inside block. But this is pretty much irrelevant since this is "static" information. Once this information is saved/loaded it need not be processed again unless you go change the block(or one near it to cause a block update). A machine/mob on the other hand would be evaluating data constantly many times per second every second.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

Ender Quarry 70us
Ender Pump 50us

ONE sheep 170us

Clearly you need to disable sheep in the config :p

Reactions: mattp_12

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Lets just say the entity code is almost literally a steaming pile of shit that someone left in the middle of a Java program. On every server I know, tile entities take up less than 15ms. Meanwhile I have seen entities costing a full 1ms each in rare cases and generally a every high cost just for existing.