How many loaded Chunks per Server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Question regarding chunkloaders. How many is too many? I have 10 chunks loaded around my base 9 around quarry and two around cows. When first starting server avrg ticks jump up to about 24 then settles around 6 Just wondering how many chunks others have loaded.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Depends I have a lot of my chunkloaders set to turn them selves off. But normally I only have a small 1 chunk loaded around my loot sorter/resluppy system and currently at lest until im done with my mothership 25 chunks around my lava pumping station.

I don't keep my farms loaded I don't need that much stuff. I don't keep my whole base loaded no reason at all there. And if I need to set up some sort of automation I wire my loader up so when it is done it will turn it off unloading the chunk.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Depends I have a lot of my chunkloaders set to turn them selves off. But normally I only have a small 1 chunk loaded around my loot sorter/resluppy system and currently at lest until im done with my mothership 25 chunks around my lava pumping station.

Cheers. Didnt realise you can set them to turn off by themselves. Will have to investigate. Pretty new to Minecraft and Java so big learning curve.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If your using the chickenchunk ones, the one with the floaty orb and the settable gui when you click on them you can power them off with a redstone signal. A leaver will do fine. If your using the railcraft ones with no gui and uses enderpearls as fuel I do not believe you can turn those ones off.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
If your using the chickenchunk ones, the one with the floaty orb and the settable gui when you click on them you can power them off with a redstone signal. A leaver will do fine. If your using the railcraft ones with no gui and uses enderpearls as fuel I do not believe you can turn those ones off.

Thats handy to know cheers. Yes Im using the chickenchunks ones.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
For perspective, a player loads 441 chunks.

But it all depends what those chunks are doing. 50 chunks in the Nether mining lava is a lot more demanding than 50 chunks in the grassland growing sugar cane.

But yeah, watch out with those ChickenChunks. It's easy to get the chunk size up quickly. Advice: If you can, change the shape of the chunk loader to something other than square.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You know before they got all bugged up and the such I loved the 1 chunk spot loaders. I dont mind having to have 1 block in a chunk to load it and it let you completely setup to load only the chunks you wanted.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
For perspective, a player loads 441 chunks.

But it all depends what those chunks are doing. 50 chunks in the Nether mining lava is a lot more demanding than 50 chunks in the grassland growing sugar cane.

But yeah, watch out with those ChickenChunks. It's easy to get the chunk size up quickly. Advice: If you can, change the shape of the chunk loader to something other than square.

Hmm Ok, but out of those 441 (Am supprised it dosnt divide by 64 or 16) are active and how many are just viewable? As an example I have a few Skely Spawners in the Nether (son got tired of trying to farm wither heads) stand so far away from the spawners and they drop. Move down a bit to kill them and they stop spawning. So what about 16x16 block from player is active?

Will change shape of chickenchunks right now! Thx.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019

Chickenchunks can also be set to turn off when the players log off in the config.

Railcraft has 3 loaders. The anchor, the anchor sentinel and the personal anchor. The personal anchor turns off when the player logs off.

On the last SMP server I was on I used the personal anchor. No sense in my stuff lagging everyone else out when I logged off. Also better, IMHO, than the chickenchunks method since I can forget to flip a lever before logging off.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
C
On the last SMP server I was on I used the personal anchor. No sense in my stuff lagging everyone else out when I logged off. Also better, IMHO, than the chickenchunks method since I can forget to flip a lever before logging off.

That is why I have mine set to auto off when they are done. No point in loading a chunk while I'm in the same area so I never have them on unless it is some remote area and then I have them set to either a timer to turn off or a complex task then turn off.

But yeah The off while the player is off line is how most servers should do it just to keep lag down.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019

Of course you can.. Just make sure it runs out of enderpearls.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm Ok, but out of those 441 (Am supprised it dosnt divide by 64 or 16) are active and how many are just viewable? As an example I have a few Skely Spawners in the Nether (son got tired of trying to farm wither heads) stand so far away from the spawners and they drop. Move down a bit to kill them and they stop spawning. So what about 16x16 block from player is active?

Will change shape of chickenchunks right now! Thx.
Yeah, not sure.... the mob spawn distance limit in minecraft is 128 blocks.

You don't have to change the shape..... mostly mentioning you can. Best to play with it and "show lasers" to find the most efficient shape.