How is it that my FTB server is ignoring the world seed I set?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a FTB Monster server that I just setup. In my server-properties files I set the level-seed property to "tryme" but when I'm in the game world and I type /seed I get "110644371". If I change the level-seed and regenerate the world the seed value reported in game changes, but it's always very different from what I set.

Is the server ignoring the value I set and generating it's own seed? Is there a flag for that somewhere?
In my server-properties files I set the level-seed property to "tryme" but when I'm in the game world and I type /seed I get "110644371". If I change the level-seed and regenerate the world the seed value reported in game changes, but it's always very different from what I set.
Is the server ignoring the value I set and generating it's own seed? Is there a flag for that somewhere?

In my server-properties files I set the level-seed property to "tryme" but when I'm in the game world and I type /seed I get "110644371". If I change the level-seed and regenerate the world the seed value reported in game changes, but it's always very different from what I set.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The actual seed is always a 64bit number - if you enter a non numeric value for the seed it is converted "using magic" to a number - the number that implements that seed. That number is what the server will show you.

At any rate, "tryme" and 110644371 will yield the same world generation

Reactions: MigukNamja

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I should have known that's the case. Interesting - is it converted to hex or something so you can work backwards? Or is the seed value dumped into something like a hashing function that is one-way?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to play a specific seed on my server that I was experimenting with in SP. But when I put it into the server config, I spawned in what seemed to be a completely different location and popping into creative and flying around led me to conclude it was a different seed.

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, didn't know that. Although I would have to make sure that both are using the same modpacks right? I think I plan to change that up so I'll have to look at it.

HazDS

Jul 29, 2019
Also make sure you level-type option is set correctly. For example if you uses Biomes O Plenty on your single player world the level-type would need to be: level-type=biomesop in server.properties.

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, that was something I was wondering about on the server side. I actually prefer to use Highlands and I do not want ATG - so would I set it to "level-type=highlands"?