Problem How, exactly, does IC2 power loss work?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
In my FTB Revelation 3.0.1 base, I needed to run a long cable to carry power over a hundred or so blocks of cables to my new AE2 building. I figured that this would work just fine if I used medium voltage (512 eu/t) coming from my main MFE. When I did this, however, I encountered significant power loss.

I was able to replicate this issue with higher voltages in a creative single player world when I used HV cables connected to an HV transformer's high voltage face, which supposedly outputs only 2048 EU packets, along a 122 block HV cable run (triply insulated). Because transformers always output 2048 EU packets and there is .8 EU loss per packet per block with triply insulated HV cables, there should be (0.8×122)÷(2048)=0.04765625 4.765% loss, yet I find that the transformer draws around 70 EU/t from the MFE that feeds it while only providing around 6 EU/t to my connected AE network (it's very basic -- just a few screens, energy acceptor, two cables, and an ME drive block), representing a loss that is closer to 90%. There is a similar story with doubly insulated gold cables, where my calculation says that the loss should be relatively low but is ridiculous in practice.

It seems to me like for some reason the HV transformer in fixed step up mode isn't outputting 2048 EU packets because gold and even copper cables don't burn up when I replace a few HV cables with them. This is contrary to the purpose of a step up transformer (as stated in the post in the net paragraph) to *always* output the full size packet, however.

The basis for my current understanding of power loss in IC2 is this 3 month old post on this subreddit, where an IC2 developer has confirmed the veracity of its claims. What is going on here? Is there an error in my calculations? Did IC2 recently change the way that it works? Glass fiber cables fix the immediate issue and allow an appropriate amount of loss to take place, but I want to fully understand what is going on and what is wrong with my calculations.

I saw some posts that mentioned that IC2 did away with voltages all together and made each cable simply have a maximum current (EU/t), but the linked post fairly definitively says otherwise, and if that is the case then I still need to learn exactly how loss works now and I can't find any information about loss in that context. Furthermore, this would make transformers useless and they're still available in-game.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Nice post. I don't have an answer for you, but I'd just like to say that its really sad how far this forum has dropped off the map. In years past, you'd have numerous responses to your queries.

At this point, I'd suggest you go directly to the IC2 forums since this place is now dead, for all practical purposes. Nobody comes here anymore, it seems. I've posted a few things with zero responses as well. It's sad, like the end of an era or something. Such is life, I guess. FTB had a good run, and it's been fun. Same with Minecraft, but I knew once Microsoft got it's grubby paws into the mix, that was the beginning of the end. They are the great game-killers.

/rant

NLBlacky

Aug 23, 2019
Why not use other ways of energy transports? Using cables would require you to chunkload all the cables in order to have the power reach your other base. If you would use Flux Points / Plugins (Mod Flux Networks) you would have no need for cables, almost unlimited rf/t and multi dimensional.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Nice post. I don't have an answer for you, but I'd just like to say that its really sad how far this forum has dropped off the map. In years past, you'd have numerous responses to your queries.

At this point, I'd suggest you go directly to the IC2 forums since this place is now dead, for all practical purposes. Nobody comes here anymore, it seems. I've posted a few things with zero responses as well. It's sad, like the end of an era or something. Such is life, I guess. FTB had a good run, and it's been fun. Same with Minecraft, but I knew once Microsoft got it's grubby paws into the mix, that was the beginning of the end. They are the great game-killers.

/rant
It isn't that this forum has gone off the map, it is that IC2 has. With all the undisclosed changes they've been making to the power system, with some kind of reversal and then a not-reversal then a maybe-reversal of the reversal, the only one who can really answer the question is the guy doing the updating himself... good luck with that.