How does the flux modifier work?

incertia

Jul 29, 2019
So it's quite obvious that adding a flux modifier makes your tool run off of power. But I'm not quite sure how the durability conversions are made. Does the tool keep track of what materials it's made of and subtract the exact amount of power needed (i.e. a 2400 durability pick will remain somewhere close to 2400) or will each block mined/mob hit subtract a predetermined amount of power (i.e. 1 block = 40RF).

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I would assume however the old battery modifier worked, just replace IC2 electricity with Thermal Expansion flux.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
So it's quite obvious that adding a flux modifier makes your tool run off of power. But I'm not quite sure how the durability conversions are made. Does the tool keep track of what materials it's made of and subtract the exact amount of power needed (i.e. a 2400 durability pick will remain somewhere close to 2400) or will each block mined/mob hit subtract a predetermined amount of power (i.e. 1 block = 40RF).
when you use flux mod you get in addition to tool's durability 400k RF storage, which is used before tool's durability. each operation drains set amount of flux, so each tool of same type lasts same number of uses. so in situation when you're able to recharge tool constantly it's base durability doesn't matter.

incertia

Jul 29, 2019
when you use flux mod you get in addition to tool's durability 400k RF storage, which is used before tool's durability. each operation drains set amount of flux, so each tool of same type lasts same number of uses. so in situation when you're able to recharge tool constantly it's base durability doesn't matter.
So because of this I should choose something that has high damage/mining speed (i.e. cobalt) and not necessarily the highest durability (manyullyn).

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So because of this I should choose something that has high damage/mining speed (i.e. cobalt) and not necessarily the highest durability (manyullyn).
Yes. Also, I suggest you carry a capacitor with you so you can recharge on the go. Note that it takes a few minutes to charge it back up as the max input on the TiCo flux modifier is 75 RF/t while the max input fo rthe Redstone Arsenal tools is 2000 RF/t.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt for mining speed. Manyullum for damage. Ardite for Stonebound III?
Ardite would probably be the best candidate for Flux Capacitor upgrade if you can get the durability low enough before you install the upgrade.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Ardite would probably be the best candidate for Flux Capacitor upgrade if you can get the durability low enough before you install the upgrade.
it doesn't matter when you install the upgrade because if battery is empty tool's durability is used for operations.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
What I mean is, wouldn't it work better if you first wear down the ardite tool to like under 10% durability before applying the capacitor upgrade, so it retains the stonebound mining bonus due to low durability but runs on RF, so you get a very fast pick before you even apply redstone to it?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
What I mean is, wouldn't it work better if you first wear down the ardite tool to like under 10% durability before applying the capacitor upgrade, so it retains the stonebound mining bonus due to low durability but runs on RF, so you get a very fast pick before you even apply redstone to it?

you can do it in that order. or you can apply flux, wear it down and then you start charging it and using as electric tool.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but I wear MPS so the tool charges itself once I start using it if I got the capacitor installed, that is why I prefer wearing it down before installing the flux upgrade. :)