How do YOU make steel in FtB packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Your preferred method of steel production?

• I play an ancient pack that still has Calclavia's 1x Iron/4x Coal crafting recipe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Custom Minetweaker recipe (totally not cheating yo :P)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
RotaryCraft. Its simple, takes no power, and processing speed can be bumped up once you get sufficient power generation going. Ever put 300MW into a friction-heated blast furnace? That shit processes FAST.

Once you get it going so fast an ME Import Bus can't keep up, you know you've won :D

Reactions: Lethosos

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Using gregtech, I don't have most of these easy-peasy steel solutions. Electric Blast Furnace or Bronze Blast Furnace.

If I'm playing infitech2 (GT pack), I also have the alternative of thaumcraft (ordo + iron nugget = steel nugget)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I used the IC2e electric blast furnace to make my first batch of refined iron.

It took half an hour to make about a dozen ingots.

Then I realised I could just use the TE induction smelter to charge through scads of the stuff in no time and I never used the IC2 version again XD

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I tend not to add Rotarycraft etc to a first playthrough of a modpack since it kinda takes over everything (especially my iron), but when it's in I prefer it for Steel. After that...I'm currently playing Horizons Daybreaker. Mekanism is reasonably efficient and somewhat fast, if slightly annoying (there's probably a good way to automate it, but I haven't really looked for it), but honestly I prefer the QuantumFlux crafting version of 1 iron with 4 coal in the corners. Similar to the MC1.6.4 Universal Electricity recipe, and while it gobbles coal, I'm not exactly using it for much else.

The Railcraft/Immersive Engineering Blast Furnaces are way slow, as far as I'm concerned. I'll use the Coke Oven because I need creosate oil, but that's it if I have other options.

Reactions: thegreatpl

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm doing Botania, I usually make a couple of coke ovens for coke blocks to make mana production easier, but other than that...yeah, I'm none too fond of RC's steel-making mechanic. Far, far too slow.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Other: Currently playing Horizon's and there's a crafting recipe using 4 coal = 1 iron. Hope this doesn't get it nerfed. :/

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I use the induction smelter but it comes out all funky so I use the MFR unifier to change it over to railcraft steel.

25hz

Jul 29, 2019
Induction Smelter. Iron + coal/charcoal dust.

How do you get that to work? With FTB Unleashed, I have the coal dust, plus iron ingots, dust and ore. I put the coal in, and then any of the iron items, and the smelter does nothing. Fully powered, fully charged - but nothing happens. ?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I usually go with railcraft due to it being easy however I remember using inductive automation in the past which was a blast. If you give it enough power it can do 1 operation per tick and as each operation takes 2 iron and gives 2 steel that is 2 steel a tick.
I probably end up using it again when I use that mod again.

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
This thread is old. Look at the dates. The poster above you replied to an old thread.
I know he bumped the thread. But it was from August (after Infinity came out, Evolved was in progress), and I was trying to give him advice as to what packs were new.

25hz

Jul 29, 2019
I know he bumped the thread. But it was from August (after Infinity came out, Evolved was in progress), and I was trying to give him advice as to what packs were new.

That's fine, but the Unleashed pack is what it is, and the steel recipe just shows fire in the crafting table with the NEI. Hence the question, seeing as how the recipe he mentioned is the same one shown in mine, and doesn't work.